Cartomizer Inconsistancies?

So, currently I'm using a LR carto that has lasted almost 4 days so far, with no signs of going south just yet. I'm wondering why they all can't be like this. Full, good tasting vapor as if it was brand new. Most of the ones I've used... (been vaping for a month now) lasted about 2 days at best, and during this time I have also gotten two that were no good right from the start, I mean they were nasty, had to toss them after the first couple of toots, something just wasn't right with them. About 2 weeks ago, I was lucky enough to get another good one that lasted like 4 days...

Why does the performance/life seem to vary so much with these? I've haven't been changing any procedure or anything since I started vaping... is there a quality control issue with these possibly? just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, or similar experiences...

One suggestion is to stick a paperclip all of the way through, wiggle around, and make sure the hole is nice a free for air. Sometimes people think they are junk when really they just need to be "adjusted" for max airflow.... or the juice/filler will burn right away.

Edited by DAYVAPE

If you look at the bottom of the carto (the thread end) there is a little notch out that you can turn with a paper clip or with a little screwdriver, some that are DOA need to be turned a bit so that it makes a connection with the battery and the other thing is if they are hard to draw or too hard to draw this can be adjusted. If I remember correctly you turn to the left a bit for easier draw and to the right for a harder draw.

HTH

Edited by owutaqt

Well goodness. I'd yet to realize the purpose of that little notch on the thread end of my cartos... So I'm at work, and decide to give it a whack! I adjust it and try out the airflow in the different positions.. Tightening it resulsts in making it super easy to pull the juice all the way through and into my mouth... Loosening it does indeed increase airflow. I also ran a paperclip (Completely straightened) through the center to clean it out, having never tried that out before. .... Carto, which was working before (Albeit not at peak efficiency) is now causing the battery LED to light up solid while holding it, and blink 3 times upon release. Any clue as to what I've done?

Has to be a connection issue.... is it firing when you push the button at all?? I'll have to say... I've never had to do anything with a screwdriver to the threaded end... so I don't know what that does/did. :question:

Edited by DAYVAPE

I dismantled a carto with silver threads and if you turn the connecter too much you will break the wire.It is not threaded so if it changes anything it is just by luck as it does not appear to be designed to be an adjustment.The notches appear to be for letting air go in the middle of the filler.

Edited by mcquinn

I'm noticing the same irregularities with regular 510 carto's. Just bought a brand new blank 5 pack. First one WAAYY to much air draw, feels like I'm sucking a straw...and getting a lower amount of vape/flavor. However, carto #2 has a little harder draw and much better vape! These are the first 510 carto's that I've tried and while the capacity seems better, I'm not sold! I've been DD-ing (best so far) and using the PTB mod on regular carts which seem to get more vape/flavor than the cartos. Am I alone in this? Does it appear that I've got hold of an old batch? Am I smoking something and it's my imagination??

Also, just saw Uma's post of a vid from someone else on filling cartos using the rubber caps, dripping into them, and forcing the juice through the carto to fill it. Anyone using this filling technique? Is it better than removing the cap and dripping into the carto?

Cheers!

Edited by bahamasboy

I'm well on my way into a carton of cartos and I've yet to have a DOA... OR one I couldn't fix on my own. Sorry for repeating myself everyone... but they really aren't that hard to make work properly, so I feel it needs repeated as this always helps me. If the hole going through the center isn't in the middle of the carto to where you can see light when looking through it... the draw will be non-existant, or super tight, and you will end up burning the filler and toasting that carto. Thus, you just use something to stick all the way through the middle, wiggling it around until it DOES end up centered, and clear the obstruction, etc.(a large paper clip straightened out works great)! Hold up to the light and see if you can see through it nicely...if so, you're good to go. If not... repeat until you have it centered properly. You can do this AFTER you have filled the carto with juice and at anytime the draw becomes clogged and/or tight as you use it! It actually often works better if it does have some juice in it as it will tend to stay in place better than if its just a dry/new carto.

Give this a try on those stubborn cartos before you give up on them. You would be amazed at the improvement in airflow when you do this after using a carto for a couple of days. :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

I have found the ones with silver threads to be more consistant than the ones with brass threads.For less than $2.00 each I don't see how they could have too good of quality control on these things .And that $2.00 is allowing for the supplier you bought them from to make a little coin.You can scooch the filler around and open up the hole down the middle as DAYVAPE suggested and make them work a little better.There is only a small percentage of the filler in the vicinity of the element ,on the silver threaded ones the element is embeded lengthwise on the brass ones it is sorta crossways at the end of the filler.After some use the filler in the vicinity of the element burns or melts away with use and this is what causes them to not work or taste as good.Overall for me they work better than atties for three or four days then it is time for another.

Sounds like some more research and development is in order for a new, better heat resistant filler material? It seems thats what keeps the cartos life so short, at least it seems the material is usually the first thing to go, making the rest of it become unusable.

Here's another question...

I just filled a brand new carto with VT Macchiato. I used the (drip into the silicone cover that came on the carto and push the carto down into it until juice shows up at the top. It took almost 43 drops!! When I vaped it, it tasted a bit foul and had a lot of gurgling (spelling???).. Is there a "wait time" after filling before trying to vape a new carto? i.e. let the filling "fill out a bit"?

I'll try it again in a bit to see if it's any better.

Thanks in advance.

Here's another question...

I just filled a brand new carto with VT Macchiato. I used the (drip into the silicone cover that came on the carto and push the carto down into it until juice shows up at the top. It took almost 43 drops!! When I vaped it, it tasted a bit foul and had a lot of gurgling (spelling???).. Is there a "wait time" after filling before trying to vape a new carto? i.e. let the filling "fill out a bit"?

I'll try it again in a bit to see if it's any better.

Thanks in advance.

Yep, 43 drops would give you some 'gurgling' I would suspect. That's a lot juice. I never tried the "Condom" method of filling though, I just keep dripping in the filler until it looks drenched enough. I do wait a few seconds for it to absorb before adding more.

Sounds like some more research and development is in order for a new, better heat resistant filler material? It seems thats what keeps the cartos life so short, at least it seems the material is usually the first thing to go, making the rest of it become unusable.

We're in luck. Ikenvape is Beta Testing a new Carto that comes with a Drip Tip. So far everyone is really happy with them. You can adjust the draw, you can tilt and fill from the top, you can tilt and drip to refresh the eliquid inside through the drip tip. They'll be on site soon, so keep an eye peeled. (but save one for me guys!)

I got this optional stainless steel drip tip already from puresmokers, looks great and I can put it on atties or cartos. I just hope the new cartos you speak of have a longer life.

IMAG0182-1.jpg

Geeze, sorry the pic is gigantic lol..

Edited by 2bsmoke4ee

For the price ,and considering how good they work for three or four days I don't think you can beat carto's even with the drawbacks.I throw away the rubber plug and use a DSE 901 cart that I cut down a little .I don't care for the round metal in my mouth and it is easier to pop off the cart to refill.510 carts fit as well for the 510 carto's.I got some 306 carto's as I thought it would not waste as much liquid,they were very nice but I couldn't find a cart or drip tip to fit them so I cut the end out of a condom/cover to insulate it,I was able to use the box up that way.The ceramic cartos seem promising but I don't care to much for the idea of having to tote around a syringe to refill with.