A Few ?'s Please

hawkizefan

Been lurking and reading for quite a while....ordered MY new ego today so now I need to get serious. Going to make at least a portion of my own juice. SO...vg..the skin care glycerin..usp..is good right???Hy-vee...$4 for 6 oz.

After finding the glycerin I went looking for flavorings. Was hoping for loranns(side note...spelling/keyboarding not my strong suit. please be patient.....and gentle) but alas there was none to be found. They did have MCKORMICKS which I already know is the the wrong move, but there....on the bottom shelf...half hidden by a box of kosher pickling salt was a very nondescript row of locally produced bottles of flavorings. I pick up one and read the label..."glycerol..usp...water...flavorings"...This is basically e-juice correct?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

GO HAWKEYES

I'm not positive about it, but if that's all that's in it ti might work. Just make sure there is no sugar or oils in it.

Where did you try to find the Loranns?.Also...before you go over the deep end check out some of the vendors that specialize in DIY supplies. Diy Flavorshack is a good one. Also Perfumers Apprentice and Freedom Smokes USA.

I would also suggest that you talk to our resident mixologist (aka Kitsune) and she can help you out a lot more.

Good choice on the device I'm sure you're really gonna like it.

Good luck and happy vaping.thumbup.gif

thanks snubb.....ingredients read glycerol..usp...water...flavorings. Sounds like a juice recipe to me, but i'm dripping wet behind the ears....and I have it on good authority(wife) that I'm a dumbass, so.....was hoping someone would know.

Sounds like your wife has been talking to mine....lolmobile.gif

Wives were created to make men miserable !!!!! thumbsup.gif

The flavoring you found sounds like it will work just fine. I have even dabbled with schilling and McCormick--both also do work. The schilling and McCormick are just less concentrated.

The best place to look for Lorann is at a craft store--hobby lobby or michaels. either in the cake decorating isle or candy making isle. The selection is a bit small but a nice place to start. You can actually check out the Lorann site(huge selection).

Freedom smoke usa--I use a lot of flavourart--love the apple pie, tiramisu and forest fruit.

Yes, the USP skin protectant stuff is the right stuff. I actually just tried it last week. prior to that I was using wiltons food grade glycerin (cake decorating isle).

Just start mixing with small amounts and add to taste. you can even use the flavoring and add to any existing liquids you have to change or enhance the flavors. I also highly recommend menthol flavoring (I use flavourart)--a couple drops to any mix will really enhance the flavor and add a bit of throat hit without tasting like menthol.

Just my 2 cents. Lots of trial and error.

Wives were created to make men miserable !!!!! thumbsup.gif

The flavoring you found sounds like it will work just fine. I have even dabbled with schilling and McCormick--both also do work. The schilling and McCormick are just less concentrated.

The best place to look for Lorann is at a craft store--hobby lobby or michaels. either in the cake decorating isle or candy making isle. The selection is a bit small but a nice place to start. You can actually check out the Lorann site(huge selection).

Freedom smoke usa--I use a lot of flavourart--love the apple pie, tiramisu and forest fruit.

Yes, the USP skin protectant stuff is the right stuff. I actually just tried it last week. prior to that I was using wiltons food grade glycerin (cake decorating isle).

Just start mixing with small amounts and add to taste. you can even use the flavoring and add to any existing liquids you have to change or enhance the flavors. I also highly recommend menthol flavoring (I use flavourart)--a couple drops to any mix will really enhance the flavor and add a bit of throat hit without tasting like menthol.

Just my 2 cents. Lots of trial and error.

thanks kitsune...almost as excited to mix as I am to get my ego...well not quite but I am looking forward to fooling around with a little diy.

I love DIY !!! lots of trial and error involved, but so many flavors to create. If you have questions, just ask, love to help. Mind you, even after 1 1/2 years of playing with DIY its still a work in progress. Its alot like cooking--a little of this and a little of that and maybe a pinch of the other thing.

I actually started with DIY because the flavors were never strong enough for me. I used the flavorings to increase the flavor in my existing liquids. Many of the new liquids and flavors are much stronger than they were even a year ago.

Happy vaping and merry mixing !!!

I love DIY !!! lots of trial and error involved, but so many flavors to create. If you have questions, just ask, love to help. Mind you, even after 1 1/2 years of playing with DIY its still a work i n progress. Its alot like cooking--a little of this and a little of that and maybe a pinch of the other thing.

I actually started with DIY because the flavors were never strong enough for me. I used the flavorings to increase the flavor in my existing liquids. Many of the new liquids and flavors are much stronger than they were even a year ago.

Happy vaping and merry mixing !!!

I love to cook, and cook "by the seat of my pants" so to speak. Same thing rarely turns out the same twice. Thinking that I may also want my flavors to be on the stronger side as most of the things I eat and drink tend to be on the bold and spicy,very spicy side. Found the loranns at walmart today and picked up a grape(thanks to marks endorsement of grape vape and skid row beer)and also picked up some vg and a fresh bottle of whole cloves. Always loved a clove smoke and had read somewhere on here that someone had infused whole cloves and was very pleased. I have a 10 ml. bottle of clove coming with my ego so it will be fun to compare.

Lorann's is the only flavoring I've had much luck with. All of the others were too weak for me - could barely taste them. I haven't tried the clove though. Let us know what you think of that one.

I certainly will. Perhaps you can answer this. How much lorans do you use? for example if I have a 10 ml. bottle, how much flavorant should I use? 1 ml....3 ml...5ml? I realize that taste is subjective...just looking for a starting point.

There is a juice calculator floating around on the forum somewhere..http://www.todmuller.com/ejuice/ejuice.php

This seems to work pretty good. Still need to tweak it a little and the amounts are approx. (at least for me) but it's a good starting point.

But at least you got in touch with the right person (Kitsune) if any one can help you she can....our mixologist.

Good luck on the mixing..it can be a lot of fun.

Good luck and happy vaping.thumbsup.gif

I certainly will. Perhaps you can answer this. How much lorans do you use? for example if I have a 10 ml. bottle, how much flavorant should I use? 1 ml....3 ml...5ml? I realize that taste is subjective...just looking for a starting point.

The amount of flavoring depends on the person and the flavor. Some flavors I don't have to use as much of, but others I have to use a lot. Some people only have to use drops of flavor, but for me it's more. I think for most people the 5 ml would be too much, but 3 ml could be reasonable...depending on the flavor again. And yet for a strong flavor, 1 ml might be more than enough. It would probably be better for you to start with a recipe (like one of kitsune's wonderful recipes) and see how that works for you. You can always add more flavoring later, but you can't remove it if there's too much. I started out by adding extra flavorings to the pre-made juices I already had.

Are you using premixed liquid as a nicotine base??

With 10ml of VG you could start by adding 1ml and then adding more if needed. I mix and cook to taste. The Lorann Grape is fairly strong, but not as strong as the strawberry, raspberry and Watermelon. but if you start with 1ml--its easy enough to add more.

I used to like adding flavor to the tobacco flavors--once I ran out of tobacco flavors I just didn't buy any more.

Like Nana said--its harder to remove flavor.

your best best is to start with a 1ml of VG(20 drops or so) or premixed liquid and add .2ml (6 drops or so).....

Thank You Snubber !!!! Lots and Lots of trial and error.

I have 3 bottles of various juice coming each with 24mg nic. With the vg and the loranns grape that I picked up I was wanting to experiment with zero nic. to see if I would be cool with that. Didn't want to order zero or low nic. the first time and have to resort back to analogs for my nic fix. Was just looking for a starting point and guess I'll probably start at 10 percent flavoring to the vg amount and go from there by adding more of one or the other till it's palletable. Do you need to thin the vg down any with water or should the flavoring I add be enough? Here i figured I would look at the juice I'm getting and just try to match the viscosity of that.

You guys have all been so helpful. Thanks alot and I'm sure I'll be back here with many more ?'s.

The flavoring you add will be enough to thin the VG. The grape and VG as a 0 nic should work well. If you don't get the throat hit you want--get some menthol flavoring or liquid, helps alot with throat hit.

Its good to have nicotine liquid on hand--just in case......

The flavoring you add will be enough to thin the VG. The grape and VG as a 0 nic should work well. If you don't get the throat hit you want--get some menthol flavoring or liquid, helps alot with throat hit.

Its good to have nicotine liquid on hand--just in case......

I'm really hoping that I don't have to resort to buying nic. The whole point of this is to quit analogs(I still find this term very amusing..and I don't know why)and get off the nic and the 400+ other ingredients they put in them. I'm pretty sure that I will be looking for that throat hit so will be looking for the menthol flavoring. Is menthol flavoring something that is readily found? I haven't seen it. I have found loranns wintergreen and spearmint and thought that might work. In reality I think I might be fine going 0 nic. Even though I smoke A LOT, I find that when I'm in a situation where I can't smoke, I'm able to go hours with no problem. I've sat in airports with delayed flights and whatnot and have gone for 12 to 18 hours without a smoke, but when I get to where I'm going I will smoke like a meth ***** or drunkin sailor. Luckily I will have my 3 bottles of juice with 24mg nic to fall back on and I'm sure will continue to purchase the mass produced e-liquid because so many of them sound just so good. Anyway... thank you again for your input and advice.Hope to have more question/answer sessions with you in the future.

***DISCLAIMER***

After proofreading this reply I must add this disclaimer. If, during the posting of this reply, I have offended any meth whores or drunkin sailors, I offer my sincere appologies. I feel entitled to use these terms however, and will continue to use them in the future since Dad was a meth ***** and Mom a drunkin sailor. These terms hold special places in my heart and are not meant in a derogatory way.

I haven't tried the Lorann wintergreen or spearmint....if you do try them I would love to hear what you think. I primarily use either FlavourArt menthol Freedom smoke usa or Decadent vapor/totallywicked menthol concentrate. A little goes a very long way.

Juicyliquid also has a nice DIY shop My link.

Honestly, with DIY, I just mix and match until I get a flavor I like.

I really have found that I can easily use 0 nic, but am currently using up some of my nicotine liquids (waste not). For me, The throat hit is key and the menthol really has helped that problem.

sounds like quite the colorful family....

I haven't tried the Lorann wintergreen or spearmint....if you do try them I would love to hear what you think. I primarily use either FlavourArt menthol Freedom smoke usa or Decadent vapor/totallywicked menthol concentrate. A little goes a very long way.

Juicyliquid also has a nice DIY shop My link.

Honestly, with DIY, I just mix and match until I get a flavor I like.

I really have found that I can easily use 0 nic, but am currently using up some of my nicotine liquids (waste not). For me, The throat hit is key and the menthol really has helped that problem.

sounds like quite the colorful family....

Mom and Dad are the normal ones. Some day I'll have to tell you about my CRAZY extended family :thumbsup:

I have a very large, very crazy extended family. with 56 cousins-- we have covered a lot of ground.....and then there is all my Aunts and Uncles..I should probably be in therapy....I just try to ignore the voices....