Charging Ego Batteries Without Fully Draining

When I first received my eGo kit in the mail, I was surprised to see that both batters had a full charge in less than 30 minutes. Since then, I've yet to fully drain a battery. I will use it for the day, and then swap it with my spare. Am I shortening the life of my batteries by doing this? Would you recommend a full drain prior to charging?

NEVER, fully drain a lithium battery!!

you shouldn't ever let one get below 10% as that will shorten the battery life and amount of recharges you can do on it.

this also goes for cellphone batteries also.

if you ever notice the people that have to replace their cell/computer or w/e li-ion battery, a lot, it's because they let them go dead and then charge them.

great point jolly, that makes alot of sense comparing that to cell phone batteries, another point I would like to bring out is dont overcharge the eGo/Tornado bats, meaning as soon as the light goes green disconnect it, this also I think will lead to bats dieing faster.

NEVER, fully drain a lithium battery!!

you shouldn't ever let one get below 10% as that will shorten the battery life and amount of recharges you can do on it.

this also goes for cellphone batteries also.

if you ever notice the people that have to replace their cell/computer or w/e li-ion battery, a lot, it's because they let them go dead and then charge them.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.)

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

great point jolly, that makes alot of sense comparing that to cell phone batteries, another point I would like to bring out is dont overcharge the eGo/Tornado bats, meaning as soon as the light goes green disconnect it, this also I think will lead to bats dieing faster.

Seriously?

See, this would suck pretty hard, being that I like to charge my batt overnight, and I know it doesn't take very long to fully charge on the wall. This means that the battery would probably sit on the charger for an extra 6 hours, and I really don't want to babysit my battery charger! If this statement is correct, would that mean that the eGo battery with the built in passthru is built differently? From my understanding, you can use it as a passthru while charging. If you weren't able to use it as a passthru after the charge is complete, it would be pretty ineffective.

When the light is green on the charger the charger is no longer charging. I leave my batts in the charger all the time with no problems whatsoever.

( sorry for using the word "charger so much lol)

Seriously?

See, this would suck pretty hard, being that I like to charge my batt overnight, and I know it doesn't take very long to fully charge on the wall. This means that the battery would probably sit on the charger for an extra 6 hours, and I really don't want to babysit my battery charger! If this statement is correct, would that mean that the eGo battery with the built in passthru is built differently? From my understanding, you can use it as a passthru while charging. If you weren't able to use it as a passthru after the charge is complete, it would be pretty ineffective.

I think there is always a lot of confusion in regards to batteries. If you read the link I posted, I believe the best advice for Lion batteries,at least for laptops, is to drain and recharge periodically. There is actual circuitry in them that needs to be "recalibrated" once in a while. I always run through a few cycles when setting up someone's laptop.

• 1 month later...

Seriously?

I wouldn't be too concerned as long as the charger and the batts protection circuits are working properly. But my concern is if they aren't. I never charge my 18650's unattended, there have more than a few reports on the flashlight forums of malfunctioning batteries and chargers that end up cooking the battery with scary and sometimes explosive results. There have been reports of fires and pictures of melted, blackened chargers. Some use a timer with their chargers. These aren't exactly precision, high quality items.

FWIW there really is no "the eGo battery with the built in passthru", You aren't passing though the current to the atty you are vaping off the battery, if you have it plugged in the built in charger is simply charging the battery. It has no real effect at the atty, it will turn on and off depending on the state of charge.

You'll note that Janty doesn't use the term pass through and accurately describes the product.

The Janty eGo USB battery (shown above with the eGo XL atomizer, not included) allows the user to vape while charging their battery