Boiled Cartomizers To Clean

AimeeG

I had only a few cartomizers to start and used them a lot, probably refilled them a good fifteen to twenty times each. When the new ones came in, I decided to give the old ones a boil to clean. It was neat to smell the aroma of the flavors I used in the boiling water's steam. I turned the hood fan on, too, just in case any nic particulate would get out there. I blew excess water out and put them standing up on paper towel for a good 60 hours now so I know they are dry.

Anyway, I put some eliquid in one today, and the flavor is off, it tastes kind of, well, waterish. Go figure, right? I'm hoping that with the next refill of this carto, that it will be gone. Anyone else experience this? Anyone know if this waterishness will go away? It's not like I didn't get my money's worth on them, but if it works well, I'd love to use them more. Also, this might be a good warning to others who decide to boil their cartos to not give up if it seems weird on first fill.

you have to do two things to cartos to get them with that "oh so fresh" feeling

the best is to use the squeeze bulb trick. it's the lil blue squeeze thing you suck snot from babies noses or i think they use them for ears also.

chop off enough of the pointy part to be able to fit it into either the opening of your atty (for 808/901) or enough for the threads of a 510 to fit into.

suck up water into the rest of the bulb and fit it onto the cart. squirt, fill, squirt, fill, squirt fill. till there is no trace of smell or color.

with a 510 you can usually fit the thing into the opening also if you cut it right.. do that way also.

once done you can boil if you want, i don't as cartos have a paper with glue on them most times.

after the cleaning stage, you can blow the carto out with the bulb facing it open ended down.

then hold the thread end and whip it at the ground like your trying to fling out the water at the floor.

to dry, i put mine where hot air will be blowing on it, like the side of my pc that spits out crazy heat or behind my xbox while its on.

if you want you can even throw them in the back of a car window and let the sun bake them dry.

boiling isn't really needed.

I also tried boiling like 20 of them the other day. Like Aimee said, the kitchen smelled of flavoring and I was nervous about the nic fumes in the air, so, I too, turned the hood fan on and got fresh air often. Can't be too careful with that! I dried and blew them out for like 2 days and tried one. I didn't like the taste so I tried another, then another. I can't seem to get them to the new, or slightly new taste again and I'm not sure I can. Maybe I'll try the booger sucker method.

I also worry about the residues that may be vaped after cleaning them and possible bacteria growth. We need to be cautious.

There's just nothing like a new carto providing flavor and taste for a secure clean, safe vaping experience :)

So, you aren't the only one that didn't have a good experience with boiling cartos Aimee. Maybe we just need to try the methods suggested.

Good luck

Hi, I've rinsed and boiled cartos. Didn't know there was glue and paper in them...hmmmm. Anywayz, I've had some come out like they were new, some with the taste you're describing, some where I could still taste the previous e-liquid flavor, and a couple I've killed. I make an effort not to waste too much juice on a carto, especially a "used" one. It's not be cost-effective imo.

Uh yeah... these are meant to be tossed and replaced... you know, disposable? LOL. I know what ya mean though... the best luck I've had was givin' em a helluva Tarin Spin! That usually works pretty darn good... well enough I can usually get a couple more fills out of them. Nothing beats a brand new carto though!!! :thumbsup:

Hi, I've rinsed and boiled cartos. Didn't know there was glue and paper in them...hmmmm. Anywayz, I've had some come out like they were new, some with the taste you're describing, some where I could still taste the previous e-liquid flavor, and a couple I've killed. I make an effort not to waste too much juice on a carto, especially a "used" one. It's not be cost-effective imo.

not inside, outside.

at least the 4 different brands i have all have a wrapping around it, if you pull it off theres a silver tube.

not inside, outside.

at least the 4 different brands i have all have a wrapping around it, if you pull it off theres a silver tube.

Lol I know about the outside paper and glue. I tried peeling that off once to get a "stainless steel" look to a carto! It was a chore. Haven't done it since! :)

After you boil them and they dry well you may have to take a paper clip and throw it right down the middle and re fluff the wicking stuff a bit, then you are gonna wanna make sure they are dry again, this stops the watery feeling/taste. HTH

Cartomizers where originally designed to be used once. Now we know we can refill them and stretch them as long as a week. (I don't recommend any longer) But boiling is really pushing it. The filament wasn't not designed to be used over and over like an atomizer and eventually the filler will start to burn up. After 4-5 days you really need to toss them out. I guarantee it's still cheaper than smoking.

After you boil them and they dry well you may have to take a paper clip and throw it right down the middle and re fluff the wicking stuff a bit, then you are gonna wanna make sure they are dry again, this stops the watery feeling/taste. HTH

Hey... a paperclip! Thats a great idea right there!

I haven't had any luck cleaning them,I clean them but the flavor and vapor production just don't come back to suit me.I suspect the filler is burnt away from the element.If I can run 10 -15 ml through one I am satisfied.

You can also simply rinse them out in running tap water as hot as you can stand. Blow them out and rinse again. One final blow and let them dry. This will remove most of the the juice and make the filler return to it's fluffy state. It will not get rid of strong flavors taste or smell, but won't be a prob on the cartos you vape tobacco flavors with. Also this method is a lot easier on the cartos! Boiling does kill cartos faster, even perfectly good ones. I lost a couple of new ones that way, they just went bad DOA. :)

Edited by Jkimbo

Cartomizers where originally designed to be used once. Now we know we can refill them and stretch them as long as a week. (I don't recommend any longer) But boiling is really pushing it. The filament wasn't not designed to be used over and over like an atomizer and eventually the filler will start to burn up. After 4-5 days you really need to toss them out. I guarantee it's still cheaper than smoking.

Very true however for many of us where ever we can save some money we try. I've got cartos still vaping clouds of smoke after 3 weeks. Some have died right after the first cleaning :)

Spinning trick? Do tell!

(I must've missed it somewhere... :unsure: )

Where have you been?? :thumbsup:

I have a "contraption" you could say... that I hook my carto too by the threaded end, put a carto condom half way on the other end, and swing it around. This literally fills the condom with juice from the carto and I'm ready to refill with whatever. This also helps to "fluff" back some of the filler material. And then I grab the trusty paperclip w/ the end bent out and run it through the hole of the carto, wiggle back and forth, and make sure there is a clear path for air. That is key... you should be able to see completely through a carto before you use it. People toss alot of cartos thinking they are clogged but I they need to do is poke something thru the carto and clear a path! :thumbsup:

Edited by DAYVAPE

I have to agree with Chris on this one. I use them until the flavor goes bad or it just gives out. I did try and boil one once, it really didn't make much of a difference, I ended up tossing it anyways. I find this very interesting that some of the members are extending the lives of the cartomizer and the little tricks that you come up with. Never really thought about a paper clip and air flow, will have to check this little trick out. Thanks.

I used to monkey around with them. Now I run them about a week and then can them. I buy them 100 at a time so they are cheap enough not to worry about.

Man... I'm glad I don't try to make em last me that long! I couldn't handle the whole boil, blow, boil, blow.... madness! I just have a 'contraption' that I hook my carto into and spin the livin' daylights out of it and guess what... she's DRY! :thumbsup:

Man... I'm glad I don't try to make em last me that long! I couldn't handle the whole boil, blow, boil, blow.... madness! I just have a 'contraption' that I hook my carto into and spin the livin' daylights out of it and guess what... she's DRY! :thumbsup:

You've mentioned this "contraption" a few times (and each time in the quote marks, too) and, maybe I'm daft because I spend my days with twelve year olds (English teacher), but I have no idea what you mean. My students would be bummed with my reading-between-the-lines skills. My only guess is that you the contraption you speak of is the battery itself. :iiam: