Ok...i'll Bite.

RomeyRome

Ok. You guys did something the folks at the mall kiosk never could: Get me to try an e-cig. Newports in WA state are $9.

So the way I see it, the only way I could give it an honest shake is:

1) It has to be the size of a regular cigarette, white or black

2) No oddball LED colors. Orange is OK.

3) Has to be automatic. No buttons.

I smoke Newport Mediums 100s in short drags. Some of the videos I've seen on YouTube, you gotta suck down on them for 2+ seconds to get a good hit, and that might be awkward for me.

A lot of the 510s from different brands look identical, with a button in what looks to me like an odd place for one. Is it because they just use the same battery?

The 2 I was looking at are Joye 510 & Janty Dura.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Welcome to Vapor Talk! If you're leaning towards a 510 you're headed in the right direction IMO. Yes, a lot of the 510s are identical, just rebranded, but some are made by different manufacturers. The Joye 510 and Janty Dura are both made by JoyeTech and are the same thing. Personally, I prefer the Joye products.

1. With a smaller models (cigarette size) you won't get great battery life. The standard Joye 510 battery will last about 2 hours (that was the max for me) between charges. Of coure, that will depend on how much you use it. A 510 starter kit will run you in the $40-$50 range. The Joye eGo, which uses the same 510 attomizer, will run between $60-$80. For the extra $20-$30 you get a battery that will last 8+ hours between charges. The standard 510 is a great model and many people use it happily, just giving you something to think about and many people start with the 510 kit and upgrade to an eGo down the road.

3. The problem with automatic batteries is that there is a small hole in the end so that the censor can detect when you take a drag and activate the battery. If any eliquid leaks into the battery (and the atty will leak from time to time), it will ruin it. That's why most prefer the manual battery. It may seem odd to push a button, but it's really not - you get use to it.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you have. :)

Brian has already provided good advice. I would just like to add to the battery and drag issues.

I would not be afraid of the auto if that's what you think you preferred. I actually started out that way and never had any failures. About the only thing I noticed was some times the cut off was premature but that's nothing a second drag can't solve. The nice thing about the smaller auto ecigs are they are lighter and you can keep them in your mouth and still take drags.

I did go with the ego and love it. What I do like about the manual battery style is I can take as long of a drag as I want. It is a heavier battery but the ego is a lot smaller then it looks in pictures and fits easily in a shirt pocket and I can keep it in my mouth for short periods of time to free my hands when needed.

One other thing I would like to address about ecigs because a lot of people I know try them and either don't like them or still smoke analogs. The reason I believe for that is because the expectations of the nicotine amount is different between analogs and ejuice. For example, Newport 100's analog are 18-19 mgs, that's about 1mg per cigarette. When you inhale smoke from tobacco it goes directly in to your blood! If you then switched to vaping and tried 18mg juice you would think you were smoking LIGHTS and would need to go to 24mgs before you satisfy your nicotine craving. The problem is most of these starter kits come with ridiculously low nic 8 to 16mgs which just aint gonna cut it coming from analogs. These are my observations and opinion of course :)

Honestly, I'd suggest the ego as a first. The batt life on reg 510s doesnt do it for a lot of people, because they tend to enjoy vaping more than smoking and vape the batts dry. They're not much bigger and last ~8 hrs, vs the measley 2 hrs, which does come in handy when youre on a drive, at work, out somewhere without electric outlets. Of course you can get a pcc, which is great, but its still just not the same. The ego is the way to go, even people who have mods and stuff still find themselves picking up the ego once in a while. :)

Other than that, you can normally find white auto 510's that are pretty spiffy, or follow the adds on these forums to the classic ecig i think it is, looks like a smoke in the pics. Good luck buddy, hope the best for ya!! And welcome to VT!

As you have already noticed--most of us now prefer the ego. But for me it has been an evolutionary process.

I started with 510--nice and slim. as stated already, the problem is the battery life, only a couple hours. will need some extra batteries and maybe a PCC (charging case). Most suppliers carry 510's, you can look through the VT supplier list and see what deals are out there.

While you are shopping, look at the ego's-- I know, a bit bigger, but the batter life is much, much longer.

If budget allows--extra batteries, atomizers and liquids are good to have.

You will go with which ever model you think will work for you--No matter where you start--you will eventually own more than one model.

We just really want you to succeed.

keep asking, we will try to help thumbsup.gif

I smoke Newport Mediums 100s in short drags. Some of the videos I've seen on YouTube, you gotta suck down on them for 2+ seconds to get a good hit, and that might be awkward for me.

There are some things that are a trade off, and that's just the way it is. A small size e-cig that looks like a cigarette is going to be 3.7volts, and you need to take a long slow even draw to produce a good amount of vapor. If you want to get a good amount of vapor from a shorter drag, then you need a higher voltage like 5volts, but then it no longer looks like a cigarette.

There is an advantage to an e-cig that doesn't look like a cigarette. They are more widely accepted by not non-smokers in public places. I vape on a variable voltage device that surely does not look like a cigarette. It gives me exactly what I want when I want it, and rarely does anybody have a problem with it. Whenever somebody says "hey you can't smoke here", I explain what I am really doing and they are immediately OK with it.

Everyone wants an e-cig that looks like a cigarette in the beginning, but what what you thought would be awkward suddenly becomes OK.

Welcome to Vapor Talk. You already received a lot of great advice. I just wanted to add that you do have to take longer drags with the ecig, but that probably won't bother you after a short time. It becomes second nature. Really. And you can take shorter drags if you want, but you won't produce the same amount of vapor. For me, I need that vapor, so I take very long drags - 5+ seconds each. There is a learning curve when you first start vaping, but it's also a lot of fun. Good luck!! And be sure to ask any questions you come up with.

I would like to add my experience between the auto and manual battery. I am still new to this, but I have found with the automatic battery I have to take slower/longer drags on it. On the manual I take more natural analog hits and still get a satisfying amount of vapor/TH. I would also like to say that I thought the same about the manual button pushing, but it is actually very comfortable to use. Just my thoughts!!!