Being Supportive Of My Sweetheart

MaryAnn

The title says sweetheart, but really it could be anyone. How can we as vapers be supportive and helpful to those in our lives that are trying to quit and maybe even have more struggle than we did, especially those that might be starting to give up on vaping? What words and attitudes in ourselves should we adopt and encourage and what should we avoid? What kind of practices and hints did you or do you find helpful, and what do you find detrimental? What has been helpful or failed when helping others? Those of you who are struggling, what do you wish fellow vapers could do?

• I have figured out a few things that I could share myself:

• I offer a pv well before analog time, so that maybe he could cruise past the next cigarette.

• I try to make the juice exactly to his liking, adjusting as much and as often as necessary to give him a great vape.

• I ask questions about what he would like in his vaping experience and do my best to provide it, such as more vapor, less throat hit, etc.

Any links or suggestions would be excellent!! Thank you all!!

(Oh, and ps, I am MaryAnn and this is my first post here; glad to be here and thanks for the great forum! You are a wonderful crew and have become and important part of my life.)

Welcome, MaryAnn!

I think the very best thing to do is to have an understanding and loving attitude. Addiction is rough. Some people are able to pick up an e-cig and be done with smoking, others take some time to get used to the idea, both smoking AND vaping for a while. Understanding means making sure that vaping supplies are available and accessible, but not pushing, nagging, or acting "miffed" if he reaches for a cigarette. Patience and love are your allies. Remember that you respect your significant other, and if there is naggy mothering going on, he is not going to feel respected, and may well want to smoke more out of spite!

PS-- I am NOT insinuating that YOU nag! It's just a mistake that a lot of people DO make when trying to help someone overcome addiction. <3

Welcome to Vapor Talk! :)

I agree with MrsJaaxx. One of the great factors of this forum is that everyone is understanding and non-judgmental. When I smoked, there was nothing worse than being told by a non-smoker (or even worse, an ex-smoker) that I should just quit.

I smoked and vaped for quite a while.Have a large variety of flavors and brands of liquid ,until you find something you like so well you look forward it you will still revert to old reliable.I like frooty ones at first can't really stand them now ,but apple or green apple ,grape or lemon were very good to me .It had to be my idea to quit smoking or I wouold rebel and smoke more.Make a hobby of it by mixing liquids or making mods you are more inclined to use it if you have some skin in the game.

Welcome to Vapor Talk. I think you got some good advice. My husband has never been a smoker, so I haven't had this problem. He - however - has been very supportive in all my attempts to quit smoking. He's thrilled that I finally have, too, but he never did complain about my smoking. Of course complaining wouldn't have worked either. LOL Time and patience are of the utmost importance, I believe. Good luck and let us know how it's going.

WOW Maryann....will you marry me?

I think that is just great of you. I on the other hand have been nagged, scolded, etc. etc. when I was smoking. It just made me want to smoke more.(and I did) I'm still getting a little of that, just not as much since I'm not stinking up the place with analogs. I can understand it a little since she has asthma(sp) and some of the flavors are a little strong smelling.

Scents are just one of the many things she's allergic to so that doesn't help either.

I think you are doing a great job at trying to help him get over his analog habit. Keep up the good work. :unworthy:

Sounds like you are doing an amazing job with helping him. Sometimes it just takes time. I was fortunate and stopped smoking as soon as I started vaping (unintentionally)--others just take more time.

When He's ready, you will be there to support and encourage.....thumbsup.gif

I remembered something else that can be really helpful, which is just to make vaping as easy as possible:

When he goes to work, have together everything he needs: freshly filled and tested cartos/carts, juice, chargers, backups, the pv fully charged, and a kit/case neatly and simply set up with everything he should need. This might help ensure he does not get irritated/frustrated and just go grab a pack of smokes.

On the communication side of things, as we were sitting together one day, I simply shared with him why I am hoping that the pv works out for him: I love him dearly; he is my best friend, my heart; that if at all possible, when we are eighty, I would like to be holding his hand, not flowers at his grave site. I think he understood.