Overheating Issue With My Ego Battery

Hi guys and gals,

Using my Ego this weekend I had the usb fast charger plugged into my Black and Decker power inverter via the usb 5 volt port on it charging the battery and needed the port to charge my Blu Cig battery, so I pulled out the ac wall adapter and plugged the eGo charger into that with the battery still screwed into the charger.

Everything was fine then I noticed when I went to look at the charging light because it seemed to be taking a bit too long to recharge that the battery was REALLY hot.

I sorta panicked a bit , cranked the AC to cool it down unplugged the charger and replugged it etc. and it cooled down but stil took forever to recharge it seemed, upwards of 4 hours. I unscrewed the battery a couple of time to check for any juice on the connectors of the battery and charger, I didn't find any but cleaned them out just to be sure, and finally I unscrewed the battery, waited a couple for second , pressed the button a few times on the battery until it lit showing it was working then screwed it back into the charger. about 15 minutes later the light finally turned green and the battery has worked fine since.

Does the eGo battery or charger have some sort of discharge circuitry or something to prevent an overcharge if the charging cycle is interrupted?

The overly hot battery had me more than a little worried on Sunday but seems to be working like a champ now.

do NOT plug that back into the charger.

li-ion may get warm when charging. it shouldn't be a temp change you can easily identify.

something has changed to make it short. much like the sony laptop batteries that were contaminated (18650s in a pack) that were recalled.

signs of trouble aren't always present but can develop, up to explosion and fire.

it could be something other than that but, heat + li-ion = kapow at worst, or at min leakage.

Do not plug the battery back into the charger. Does this happen only with one battery or both? The reason I ask is this will help narrow down whether or not it's an issue with the charger or with the battery.

Either way it sounds like something needs to be replaced.

Do not plug the battery back into the charger. Does this happen only with one battery or both? The reason I ask is this will help narrow down whether or not it's an issue with the charger or with the battery.

Either way it sounds like something needs to be replaced.

That's the thing, it only happens with one battery and it hasnt happened again since that one time which is why I was asking if the charger has some sort of circuit that discharges the battery or something, it has worked fine since the first time. Only one cycle mind you . I have been using the battery all day today in fact.

Hrm. Didn't mention that bit about the charger going through an inverter in your car. Still, don't think that would cause the issue, unless you'd over-worked the inverter itself. Wait, scratch that: those things will still have fluctuations if you're actively running the engine, etc. Since most devices that expect 115 VAC wall-power have internal filters, so they wouldn't probably "notice" the voltage/amp changes. But if you're talking the usb charger that comes in the eGo kit, then you definitely could've been getting an over-voltage going on. Probably not enough to nuke the battery's internals, but definitely enough to put it into a "pre-runaway" state.

Hi guys and gals,

Using my Ego this weekend I had the usb fast charger plugged into my Black and Decker power inverter via the usb 5 volt port on it charging the battery and needed the port to charge my Blu Cig battery, so I pulled out the ac wall adapter and plugged the eGo charger into that with the battery still screwed into the charger.

Everything was fine then I noticed when I went to look at the charging light because it seemed to be taking a bit too long to recharge that the battery was REALLY hot.

I sorta panicked a bit , cranked the AC to cool it down unplugged the charger and replugged it etc. and it cooled down but stil took forever to recharge it seemed, upwards of 4 hours. I unscrewed the battery a couple of time to check for any juice on the connectors of the battery and charger, I didn't find any but cleaned them out just to be sure, and finally I unscrewed the battery, waited a couple for second , pressed the button a few times on the battery until it lit showing it was working then screwed it back into the charger. about 15 minutes later the light finally turned green and the battery has worked fine since.

Does the eGo battery or charger have some sort of discharge circuitry or something to prevent an overcharge if the charging cycle is interrupted?

The overly hot battery had me more than a little worried on Sunday but seems to be working like a champ now.

Be careful using those 5 volt adapters I have one as well, that battery could have shorted out or possibly exploded, Hope this helps.

I use one of those Black and Decker inverters to charge my eGo batteries too. Never had a problem ...yet. But I don't use it while the engine is running, maybe that makes a difference? Hubby hooked it up to where it sits in the seat of the jeep for ease of use. I run the engine after finished charging 2x (4 hours) to make sure car battery is okay.

Do you think this is okay or not? I don't want to blow up my batteries!