Regulator On An Sbpt?

Uma

Hey hey! So, my question is: Would a Regulator (http://shop.nhaler.com/The-Regulator-regulator.htm?productId=167) work with the SB when the SB is rigged up with it's 6v PT? (I'm too chicken to use 2 batteries for 6v, and all they talk about is the batteries style of 6v-ing). How sweet would that be to be able to turn that down a notch... I might even use my PT more often!

with the SB PT you can run the ennercell wall plug for it and you can run 3.7v-7.4v.. and that includes 5v and 6v.

:)

<3ROOR

I forgot about that enercell thingie. Cool. Please gimme a vendors link, and also a refreshing course link so I can sink it into my brain of how and why it works. Thx

NEVERMIND! I found it. (had to omit one of the "n"'s for the search to find it, but found 2 pages worth of studying. thx!!)

atty?

yes atty. the first link you posted is of the regulated atty. if the voltage is above 5v it regulates it down to 5v.

so its an atty that cuts power.

i think i figured it out. they just raise the ohm of the atty to work on the 5v as if it were 3.7v.

pretty much a standard atty is 3.2ohm so if they raised it to 4+ ohm it would function just the same as 3.7v on 3.2ohm

if 6v was attached to the atty in the first post it would work like a 3.2ohm atty on a 4 - 5 volt, in theory.

i say at the price. you might as well just skip it. a regular atty is fine on a 5v. if you want to do 6v i would advise using a ego mega atty or carto. my mega atty feels like it could take 6v with no problem.

Here's the one you want. It allows you to go from 3 to 7.5V.

My link

You can get this plug and go directly to the SB.

Plug N

Or you can get this one and use the cord that somes with the SB/PT.

USB Adapter

If you wanted to use something like what you linked, I'd go with the one below... it's vari-volt. I'd send them an email first if you're going to use it with the PT, just to make sure it's okay. I would think it would be, but just in case.

Notcigs - Terminator

oh dear, i knew i didn't know what it was, but boy was i way out in left field lol. Thanks Jolly for explaining to me!

Brian, yes, that indeed is what I want and will get. After searching for enercell (thanks Roor!!) and found many posts and a video by you, I am once again pumped up and on the right track. Thanks!!

Thanks Nana!

Here's the one you want. It allows you to go from 3 to 7.5V.

My link

You can get this plug and go directly to the SB.

Plug N

Or you can get this one and use the cord that somes with the SB/PT.

USB Adapter

That's some pretty pricey stuff. I also saw this under the specs:

with a capacity of 2000mAh

Just a note for Joye 510 users.

Using Ohm's Law, if you have a Joye 510 atty (2.2Ω), 2000mA (2A) can only give you 4.4V tops (which is quite nice). To actually achieve 5V with a Joye the unit would need to output 2.3A (2300mA)

If someone is interested in a true 5V with any atty (you really don't need more), this adapter (it has the same 'N' type plug) will do the trick. It is regulated, so even though it has extra amps it will always be a solid 5V. The extra amps means the unit will not have to operating full tilt to power your atties.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-DELTA-SWITCHING-AC-ADAPTOR-ADP-15GH-B-5V-3A_W0QQitemZ290372974728QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Networking_Components?hash=item439b93f888

A word of caution though, a true 5V with a Joye produces about 11.4 watts (power/heat). Compare that to a standard Joye 510 e-cig that comes in at about 4.4 watts... big difference.

Edited by WillBlack

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875404&CAWELAID=422931616

not sure i would trust that atty.. a heatsink puts off a lot of heat.. being that the atty also does i would assume it would fail fast.

when it fails you should hang onto it for me so i can hack it up and see just how they went about this.

I don't think that is an atomizer, I think it is a device, similar to the one that Brian posted that goes in between the device and the atomizer. It is not a one time use. At least that isnt how i read the description.

That's some pretty pricey stuff. I also saw this under the specs:

Just a note for Joye 510 users.

Using Ohm's Law, if you have a Joye 510 atty (2.2Ω), 2000mA (2A) can only give you 4.4V tops (which is quite nice). To actually achieve 5V with a Joye the unit would need to output 2.3A (2300mA)

If someone is interested in a true 5V with any atty (you really don't need more), this adapter (it has the same 'N' type plug) will do the trick. It is regulated, so even though it has extra amps it will always be a solid 5V. The extra amps means the unit will not have to operating full tilt to power your atties.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-DELTA-SWITCHING-AC-ADAPTOR-ADP-15GH-B-5V-3A_W0QQitemZ290372974728QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Networking_Components?hash=item439b93f888

A word of caution though, a true 5V with a Joye produces about 11.4 watts (power/heat). Compare that to a standard Joye 510 e-cig that comes in at about 4.4 watts... big difference.

Here is a very cool and quick little tool anyone can use to understand how Ohm's/Joule's Law works:

http://thelocust.net/ohm/

For some starting inputs to play around with; a standard 3.7 battery comes off of the charger at 4.2V, same with the eGo. The 520 battery is considerably less, as mentioned above but i dont recall what it measured when i tested it, I think 3.3V. A regular atty resistance is 2.2, LR is 1.7 and cartomizers are 3.2. Start punching these into the calculator and you will see the dramatic difference in the wattage, which really is what gives you the performance. I think the optimum wattage is debatable, I have heard some say between 10 = 11 but I personally prefer it in the 8.5 - 9 range. Everyone will have their preference but if you are interested in what REALLY controls the performance of the atomizer, get to know Joule's Law, it is actually very easy to grasp.

just add the voltage and the resistance, then hit the calculate function. The wattage is the power output.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=joule%27s+law

Edited by Burn

:offtopic: This is seriously confusing me. What this this says is 4.4v is the maximum I can get at 2amp with a 2.2ohm atty. If that's the case, why can I tell a difference when I change from 5 to 6 to 7 volts on the adapter?

Just when I thought I understood all this. :wallbash:

i use an enercell charger also. and i have a couple videos where i run it with my homemade passthrough. they work really well and you can get other connection where you can charge your phone and other things off of it too

ive volt tested my homemade passthroughs with a volt meter and it shows up the same volts as it says on my enercell charger. so idk what it is about this not working but i know it does! lol

Edited by benjamin1990

For some starting inputs to play around with; a standard 3.7 battery comes off of the charger at 4.2V, same with the eGo.

Maybe, but off the charger isn't what we vape at. The eGos and Joye e-cig batts come off the chargers at 4V and vape at about 3.2V. While homemade or American mods using a 14500 will vape at about 3.7 to 3.8V and an 18650 maybe 3.9V. Almost all the Chinese e-cigs are throttled down. The DSE 905's are at about 3.45V. An M401's battery for example fully charged is only about 3.1V.

Using the calculator you can figure out the relationships. Here's another.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ohms_law.htm

@ Brian

Are you in fact using an authentic Joye 510? With an SLB/DSE 510 (3.2Ω) or any atty/carto of at least 3Ω that adapter will behave as expected from 6V on down. Plucking the numbers, volts/ohms, into the calculator we see that the current is 2000mA (2A) or less at 6V with at least 3Ω.

In general any atty or carto with a resistance of 3Ω or more will work with your adapter up to 6V. My warning was for Joye 510 users.

Back to the original post.

Hey hey! So, my question is: Would a Regulator (http://shop.nhaler.c...m?productId=167) work with the SB when the SB is rigged up with it's 6v PT? (I'm too chicken to use 2 batteries for 6v, and all they talk about is the batteries style of 6v-ing). How sweet would that be to be able to turn that down a notch... I might even use my PT more often!

My first question would be what exact atty or carto are you using. An answer like '510' is not enough.

For $3 more (maybe with no bids the same price, $6.99) than the 'N' adapter from RS you could get this (which has the same size DC connector):

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-5V-2A-AC-DC-Power-ac-adapter-Power-supply-/260659841154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb0898882

Using the Ohm's Law calculator we see that for a Joye 510 it will provide about 4.4V, what many consider the 'sweet spot'. For me that is more than enough. It will produce about double the watts (power/heat) of a standard Joye e-cig, and almost triple the watts of a SLB/DSE 510 e-cig.

If you are using knock-off 510's in the 3Ω and up range, 901's, 801's, or standard cartos you will be operating at a solid 5V.

I'll add one more tidbit that hopefully won't confuse. They always say to never use LR atties on anything more that 3.7V. Does that hold true for a PT that is being powered by a 5V @ 2A (2000mA) power source? Nope.

We will assume LR to be 1.5Ω. Plunk 2A (Current) and 1.5 (Resistance) into the calculator. We get 3V and a measly 6 watts.

One last tidbit, Don't expect the various AC USB 5V @ 2000mA adapters floating around to actually get 2000mA to the atty with various USB PT's. Due to either cheap construction, exaggeration, or all the additional resistance of the USB connectors/wires figure about 1850mA to the atty (which is actually a nice vape though, at about 4V with a Joye).

If you want a standard AC USB adapter this may be the best choice (haven't tried it personally but the specs are good). It should provide a full 5V for all standard atties.

http://www.provantage.com/sonicwall-01-ssc-2848~7SONI0AV.htm

If someone wants a little info how regulators work, ask.

Edited by WillBlack

@ Brian

Are you in fact using an authentic Joye 510? With an SLB/DSE 510 (3.2Ω) or any atty/carto of at least 3Ω that adapter will behave as expected from 6V on down. Plucking the numbers, volts/ohms, into the calculator we see that the current is 2000mA (2A) or less at 6V with at least 3Ω.

In general any atty or carto with a resistance of 3Ω or more will work with your adapter up to 6V. My warning was for Joye 510 users.

Yep - genuine Joye 510, 2.2 ohm. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I can tell a difference between 5, 6 and 7.5V. If I just put in a couple of drop and don't vape, I can hear the difference in the sizzle.

On my volt meter, is the DCA setting for checking current (amps)?

I just want to say a big thank you to Will. Its great to have you share your knowlege with us. I for one like reading all this techie stuff. :thumbsup:

:cheers: I'll drink to that!

and to Roor and Burn and Brian and everyone who's contributed to this discussion. Thanks!!

(even though it's put into a wonderful way that even I should be able to understand all this, I'm still ... not quite there. But close!!)

Edited by Uma

You're welcome, Uma.

This stuff always confuses me, but if Brian is confused, I'm in big trouble. :dribble:

Nana, I just brewed a fresh pot. :coffee: Come sit and we'll read this together and toss lightbulbs across the table at each other until one finally lights up. :)

Yep - genuine Joye 510, 2.2 ohm. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I can tell a difference between 5, 6 and 7.5V. If I just put in a couple of drop and don't vape, I can hear the difference in the sizzle.

On my volt meter, is the DCA setting for checking current (amps)?

Well maybe you are right, I have no real experience with an adapter like yours. Maybe 6V-7V @ 2A behaves differently than 5V @ 2A. No way to check it with the calculator.

Plunk 6V and 2A into it and it reads 3Ω.

Plunk 7V and 2A into it and it reads 3.5Ω

I'm gonna check with one of my buddies for some sort of confirmation.

Checking amps can be a bit tricky. You have to do it in line with the source load. You can't just put the meter's +/- to the connector. It will fry it.

To check voltage under load you need to make a special adapter. If you get true loaded voltages the Ohm's Law calculator should provide the current.

You'll also see that a pair of 3V Tenergy Li-PO's vape at 5V, not 6.

Well maybe you are right, I have no real experience with an adapter like yours. Maybe 6V-7V @ 2A behaves differently than 5V @ 2A. No way to check it with the calculator.

I made one of those adapters and here's what I came up with using my SB/PT and the 2A Enercell (first # is the enercell setting, 2nd number is the volts under load measured):

5V = 4.15V

6V = 4.95V

6.5V = 5.43V

7V = 5.87V

I didn't go up to 7.5V because I could smell my atty cooking.

I was using a Joye 510 that measured 2.2ohm exactly. I did not use the leads with alligator clips because they added some resistance, so I just managed to hold the leads in place while pushing the button. My meter has 0 resistance.