Regulator On An Sbpt?

Uma

After plugging in the volts and resistance, here's what I get...

Listed as Enercell setting, Volts under load, Watts and Amps:

5.0V - 4.15V - 7.83 - 1.88

6.0V - 4.95V - 11.14 - 2.25

6.5V - 5.43V - 13.40 - 2.47

7.0V - 5.87V - 15.66 - 2.67

Does this mean that the conclusion you can draw is that the Enercell can deliver more than 2Amps of current?

Just tried this on my SB with LiFePO4s. The batts were not freshly charged, but were still measuring 3.3V (6.6V for the two) (I think 3.2V is the normal operating voltage). Here's what I got:

6.6V - 5.44V - 13.45 - 2.47

And this confirms what I've said before... my enercell at 6.5V gives me the same vaping performance that I get from the LiFePO4s.

6.6V -

Edited by Brian

Maybe, but off the charger isn't what we vape at. The eGos and Joye e-cig batts come off the chargers at 4V and vape at about 3.2V. While homemade or American mods using a 14500 will vape at about 3.7 to 3.8V and an 18650 maybe 3.9V. Almost all the Chinese e-cigs are throttled down. The DSE 905's are at about 3.45V. An M401's battery for example fully charged is only about 3.1V.

Using the calculator you can figure out the relationships. Here's another.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ohms_law.htm

@ Brian

Are you in fact using an authentic Joye 510? With an SLB/DSE 510 (3.2Ω) or any atty/carto of at least 3Ω that adapter will behave as expected from 6V on down. Plucking the numbers, volts/ohms, into the calculator we see that the current is 2000mA (2A) or less at 6V with at least 3Ω.

In general any atty or carto with a resistance of 3Ω or more will work with your adapter up to 6V. My warning was for Joye 510 users.

Back to the original post.

My first question would be what exact atty or carto are you using. An answer like '510' is not enough. me? I use Joye 510 attys for both SB and eGo, plus I have some SLB 510's that haven't responded as nicely on my eGo. After reading this thread/post I'm discovering (if my translator is working properly lol) that the SLB 510 is perfect for the SB/PT and will help me achieve 5v nirvana?

For $3 more (maybe with no bids the same price, $6.99) than the 'N' adapter from RS you could get this (which has the same size DC connector):

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-5V-2A-AC-DC-Power-ac-adapter-Power-supply-/260659841154?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb0898882

Using the Ohm's Law calculator we see that for a Joye 510 it will provide about 4.4V, what many consider the 'sweet spot'. For me that is more than enough. It will produce about double the watts (power/heat) of a standard Joye e-cig, and almost triple the watts of a SLB/DSE 510 e-cig.

If you are using knock-off 510's in the 3Ω and up range, 901's, 801's, or standard cartos you will be operating at a solid 5V.

I'll add one more tidbit that hopefully won't confuse. They always say to never use LR atties on anything more that 3.7V. Does that hold true for a PT that is being powered by a 5V @ 2A (2000mA) power source? Nope.

We will assume LR to be 1.5Ω. Plunk 2A (Current) and 1.5 (Resistance) into the calculator. We get 3V and a measly 6 watts.

One last tidbit, Don't expect the various AC USB 5V @ 2000mA adapters floating around to actually get 2000mA to the atty with various USB PT's. Due to either cheap construction, exaggeration, or all the additional resistance of the USB connectors/wires figure about 1850mA to the atty (which is actually a nice vape though, at about 4V with a Joye).

If you want a standard AC USB adapter this may be the best choice (haven't tried it personally but the specs are good). It should provide a full 5V for all standard atties.

oh, sweet! with this I won't have to worry about brand names on my attys? Just grab and toke? (this confirms I did translate it correctly earlier cool)

http://www.provantage.com/sonicwall-01-ssc-2848~7SONI0AV.htm

I like the ac, I worry for my pc when I plug the pt into it. (have heard a few (and a few is 1 too many for my pc) sad stories about pt's in pc's.

If someone wants a little info how regulators work, ask.

Thanks!

After plugging in the volts and resistance, here's what I get...

Listed as Enercell setting, Volts under load, Watts and Amps:

5.0V - 4.15V - 7.83 - 1.88

6.0V - 4.95V - 11.14 - 2.25

6.5V - 5.43V - 13.40 - 2.47

7.0V - 5.87V - 15.66 - 2.67

Does this mean that the conclusion you can draw is that the Enercell can deliver more than 2Amps of current?

Very cool Brian. those numbers bear out your original, seat of your pants conclusion, but do not jive with the spec's 2000mA output. This from the PDF where it repeats it:

• The power adapter’s current (2A) must be equal to or more than the current needed by your portable device.

But why couldn't it supply the full 2A @ 5V as your test show that it did if fact get to 2.67A.

But from my chum I got this caveat:

I commented that for a Joye 510 user (2.2Ω) that it can only do 4.4V max, irregardless of the higher voltage setting due to it's 2000mA capacity.

I agree completely... With a 2.2 ohm load the PS would always have to be set to 3 volts. Any higher setting would exceed the output current rating. Making the "protection" circuit shutdown the PS....OR if there is no protection, any setting above 3 volts would overheat and, over time destroy the PS.

3 = 1.36364 amps

5 = 2.27273 amps

6 = 2.72 amps

6.5 = 2.9 amps

7 = 3.18 amps

7.5 = 3.4 amps

So in my opinion.....That PS is useless for an e-cig. If you are going to stay within the manufactures specs.

Oh well maybe they were being conservative with their published specs (very un-Chinese though), or it was from an earlier revision. Does it seem to get hot at higher volts?

Well in general both our observations were valid, my theoretical one based on the specs, and yours from an actual real word test which basically shows the specs (as written) are wrong.

Oh well maybe they were being conservative with their published specs (very un-Chinese though), or it was from an earlier revision. Does it seem to get hot at higher volts?

Well in general both our observations were valid, my theoretical one based on the specs, and yours from an actual real word test which basically shows the specs (as written) are wrong.

Thanks for the follow up! I run it at 6 or 6.5 most of the time and have never noticed it getting hot, but I will definately start checking it and keeping an eye on it. I've been using it for about 5 months with no problems. Maybe since there's not a constant draw of power from it, it's not over loading (or whatever the correct terminology is). Would probably be a different story if I was hooked to something that was always on.