2010 Vapefest Article

Mark

I am so dying to find out the finances of the American Lung Association. I assume they get all sorts of money from taxes/tobacco/pharma. I assume taxes/NY State as they also had a big "Don't buy cigarettes from Indian Reservations to avoid taxes" on their home page. Here's the other notice I saw a while back in regards to the ban, I pasted the entire contents, just left the link as proof. I bolded their opinion, but I love the most experts agree in the second paragraph.

http://www.lungusa.org/associations/states/new-york/publicpolicy/assets/a9529s75.pdf

Memorandum in Support

A.9529 by Assemblymember Rosenthal

S.7234 by Senator Klein

AN ACT to amend the public health law, in relation to prohibiting the sale of electronic cigarettes to minors and in relation to prohibiting the distribution or sale of any item containing or delivering nicotine that is not defined by law as a tobacco product or approved by the United States

Food and Drug Administration for sale as a tobacco use cessation or harm reduction product

Statement of support: E‐cigarettes are battery‐powered nicotine inhalation devices made in China. The manufacturers claim to deliver nicotine to the user through a propylene glycol solution. E‐cigarettes are available in bubble gum and fruit flavors as well as more traditional tobacco‐flavors. Currently, they are being sold at retail outlets including kiosks at malls across New York, as well as online. Most experts agree that these products have their greatest appeal to new smokers, 90% of whom are teens or younger. Established smokers are unlikely to give up their favorite brands for these new products.

The makers and retailers of these products have been making unproven health claims about their products, claiming that they are safe or safer than traditional cigarettes and asserting that they can help people to quit smoking. In one press release, an e‐cigarette company claimed their products were doctor recommended for pregnant women. There is no scientific evidence that e‐cigarettes are safer for consumers than regular tobacco products. In fact, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) conducted one initial and limited study into the products in July of 2009, which confirmed that concern about the safety of the products is valid. FDA scientists found that the products contained carcinogens and toxic chemicals, including the ingredients found in anti‐freeze.

Like the “light” and “low tar” cigarettes that tobacco companies claimed were healthier for consumers, there is no evidence to back up the claims made by e‐cigarette makers. In September of 2008, the World Health Organization stated that they have “no evidence to confirm the product’s safety or efficacy.” There is also no scientific evidence that these products can help smokers quit. The U.S. Public Health Service cessation guidelines state very clearly that smokers who want to quit should use FDA‐approved cessation medications in conjunction with either individual or group counseling.

We agree with the initial FDA determination that these products should be regulated as drug‐delivery devices and as such, should not be sold until the FDA has determined their safety and efficacy. The Lung Association has called for the removal of all e‐cigarettes from the marketplace until they have been determined to be safe.

For these reasons, the American Lung Association in New York, supports this legislation and urges its enactment.

For more information contact: Michael Seilback, (631) 265-3848, x16 or mseilback@alany.org.

"Most experts agree that these products have their greatest appeal to new smokers, 90% of whom are teens or younger. Established smokers are unlikely to give up their favorite brands for these new products."

ROFLMAO - Really? Shame on all you teens or younger on this forum - trying to pass yourselves off as much older than that. And the claims on how long you've been smoking. Tsk, tsk. LMAO

Don't you just love the stupid statements from some of these so called professional people?

They'd rather us smoke analogs that they know causes cancer and other health problems than let something new reach into their pockets. :rtfm:

Don't you just love the stupid statements from some of these so called professional people?

They'd rather us smoke analogs that they know causes cancer and other health problems than let something new reach into their pockets. :rtfm: