Just Got My 510, First Vap Ever

tarheeliam

so I was all kinds of excited and looking forward to this....I have read some of the stuff on this forum, and I do remember the bit about burning off the starter stuff on the atty.....so a puffin I went. Nasty taste after nasty taste and smell. So I took the filler out and wrapped it in paper towels to get it empty, thinking I just had a bad flavor or something.

So my intent with this whole thing was to get me off of camel lights, after years and years. My logic said to refil with a juice called "cam" from smokey treats (18mg stuff), I had seen a great review of this flavor on youtube. I have been making myself puff on this thing for the last hour, maybe total of 40 puffs (ie long slow drags) so far, not inhaling....giving it time to cool....it is the same nasty taste I started with. I don't feel any nicotine even after inhaling the last two.

please tell me this is gonna get much much better, if not i have a free 510 for someone.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

If I still need to " break it in" just how long does it take? Anything to do to improve the taste in the mean time?

the steps

1.) clean the atty under hot water then blow it out and try it with a towel. let it sit to dry out. (i put mine behind my xbox when it's on for a rapid drying).

2.) prime the atty with 3 drops of liquid. (sort of need a drip bottle for this part).

3.) view the cart and make sure it has liquid at the top. not to the point where it looks like it will get on you but that it isn't dry. place it back into the atty.

4.) let it sit for 3-5 mins and then vape it.

if it taste burnt, that might just be a dry atty.

i for one hate the taste of tobacco flavor juice and even cigs.

if it does still taste like crap, snag some other 3ml juice and see how they taste to you. i tend to vape my caramel-apple, kiwi-strawberry with hint of blueberry, watermelon, grape, and menthol. other than those i haven't really tried or liked anything else.

I understand your frustration. There is a learning curve to e-cigs. You don't just pick it up and smoke it like a cigarette. It takes practice and patience to get it down. It is like learning to ride a bike. It is hard at first and easy later. Please don't give it away. If people gave them away then no one would be vaping because we have all been in your shoes.

Anyway, lets work on solving your problem. The most important thing is to NOT try to quit smoking. This isn't like the patch where you fight the urge to have a smoke and feel guilty every time you fail. If you need a smoke then get one. Moving to electronic cigarettes isn't an instant change but a transition. Be patient.

The logic you had to get a flavor that matched your smokes is the same logic we all had. We start out with the tobacco flavors but almost all of us start to prefer other flavors. You will not find an e-cig flavor that tastes like a cigarette because most of the flavor is from the combustion. If you put tobacco in a vaporizer(not an ecig) it would taste totally different than setting it on fire. The natural flavors of tobacco are not what you get from smoke. Therefore it is hard if not impossible to make an e-juice that tastes identical to smoke. This may sound like a bad thing. I thought it was but it isn't. It is a good thing. I recommend buying a few samples of other flavors you like(chocolate, cherry, coffee...). You will be surprised when you find out what your all day vape will be. It most likely won't be a tobacco flavor.

The breaking in time all depends. For me it is usually a few hours. Keep at it if it is the only flavor you have. It could be that it needs to break in, you might not be used to the flavor, the flavor could suck, or it could be something else. Can you describe the flavor and have you tried direct dripping onto the atty instead of using carts? It is strange that there is a smell. Does the cart look melted inside? What does it smell like?

That is it for now. I'll let others jump in. DON'T GIVE IT AWAY! This is the easiest way to give up smoking but it takes time, practice, and patience to get it down. This could be your only chance to quit smoking, have better health, and save money. Trust me. I bought a piece of crap e-cig from Smoking Everywhere about a year ago. I was frustrated but I didn't give up. I'm an ex-smoker today.

Wow Schizo, I wish I could give you +5 for that one brother. Amen.

Your nasty taste is either from a too-dry atty or an atty that's not broken in yet. My vote is for too dry. I totally recommend direct dripping; cartridges just taste nasty unless they're totally full and draining a lot of liquid onto the atty. Direct dripping gets around that; three or four drops should be good for seven or eight drags off your 510. Remove the cartridge filler, and drip liquid directly onto the silver bridge inside the atty. Replace the mouthpiece and you're ready to go.

Like Schizo said, there's a learning curve to vaping and break in can take a while, depending on your drags and the individual atomizer. I usually just "hot box" it the first couple of loads of liquid to break in a new atty, then start vaping it. I never, ever, use cartridges! Yuck.

Good luck and hang in there. You'll get it down. We all went through this. :)

Welcome. Sorry to hear you're so frustrated right off the bat. You got some good advice so I hope you'll give it a try. Ask any questions...you'll get lots of answers, support, and help from the good people around here.

You really will get the hang of this !!! and it really and truly is worth every ounce of frustration.

Like Jolly posted:

Did you try dripping yet?? it does sound a bit like the atty could be dry. make sure the filler on top of the cart is wet.

Let us know if things are getting better or worse.

Don't give up tarheeliam! I was super excited when I got my 510 also. When I first starting using it, I thought it kind of sucked, what is all the hype about. It took a little bit of time to get it down. Now I am a happy camper and have been smoke free for almost 3 weeks. I hated the taste of cigarettes even when I smoked 2 packs a day, so I kind of stayed away form the tobacco flavors. Maybe try a different e-juice.

And remember...

If/when you start with a NEW atomizer... blow out the factory primer as good as you can.

Then drop 4 or 5 drops directly in the atty and let it soak in good for a minute or two.

These like to be nice and wet... especially if it's a new one. Then take a couple of vapes and if it still tastes bad then drip another 3 drops and vape. Just keep it up... they take a bit of playing with in the begining. I agree with everyone else as well... carts/filler suck. Direct drip if you can.

Well said everyone! I would also suggest direct dripping. Once you get it working that way, you can fool with carts later (and I say "fool with carts" because I was one of those who could never get a carto to work correctly). Generally that burning taste is from the atty being dry.

What is Direct Dripping

How do you get so much vapor

Oh - BTW - I had some issues when I first started vaping back in December and if it hadn't been for the members here I probably would have pitched my 510 in the trash. Give it some time and Welcome to Vapor Talk!

Edited by Brian

Wow guys thank you all so much for all of your replies. So tonight at work I have taken the cart out and will just try direct driping. I did the cleaning steps thank you.

Someone asked what flavors I have, I bought from smokey treats "cam-18mg" and one called "turkish blend-18mg" , I will try to post near the end of my shift and see if anything changes.

It seems to be common advice to try other flavors so, tonight I will be going back on smokey treats and trying their varity pack. Should get it monday or tuesday based on their last shipment.

Thank all of you again for your support and advice. I will keep you up to date as the sagga goes forward.

Thanks you guys rock :punk: ,

Eric

Ps I was a firefighter for 13 years and this stuff tastes and smells just like the stuff we used to use out of the smoke machine called a rosco. We could fog up a room to practice in but not have to wear our airpacks since the "vapor" was non toxic. I don't know what the fake smoke was made up of but it has to be the same substance as this because it instantly brought back so many memories lol.

Wow guys thank you all so much for all of your replies. So tonight at work I have taken the cart out and will just try direct driping. I did the cleaning steps thank you.

Someone asked what flavors I have, I bought from smokey treats "cam-18mg" and one called "turkish blend-18mg" , I will try to post near the end of my shift and see if anything changes.

It seems to be common advice to try other flavors so, tonight I will be going back on smokey treats and trying their varity pack. Should get it monday or tuesday based on their last shipment.

Thank all of you again for your support and advice. I will keep you up to date as the sagga goes forward.

Thanks you guys rock :punk: ,

Eric

Ps I was a firefighter for 13 years and this stuff tastes and smells just like the stuff we used to use out of the smoke machine called a rosco. We could fog up a room to practice in but not have to wear our airpacks since the "vapor" was non toxic. I don't know what the fake smoke was made up of but it has to be the same substance as this because it instantly brought back so many memories lol.

I'm happy that you sound more hopeful. Keep us updated, ask questions, and you will get it figured out.:thumbsup:

I forgot. An ecig is like a miniature rosco smoke machine. They use similar chemicals. E-juice is made of either propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, or both. Also, your taste buds will start to work better when you completely make the transition. You may have to fine tune how much PG, VG, and flavoring is in your e-juice. E-juice isn't a one size fits all liquid.

ok half way thru my 12 hr shift now, just using the dripping method now. Either I am getting used to the bad taste or the taste is improving due to better vaping thanks to you guys. All my co workers are also getting an education on vaping as they have all kinds of questions. lol I want let the smokers in the group try it until I figure out this whole flavor thing. I don't want to turn them off of it.

I have been puffing on the turkish blend off and on and I can at least stand it now. I also just ordered a sample set 10 I think of all kinds of different flavors. Non of which are tobbaco flavored btw.

So we'll see how it goes, thanks for all the advice so far. I will update as I go.

Eric :detective:

as you can tell, we really, really want this to work for you. I am glad the taste is at least a bit better. For me anyway, the only tobacco flavor I could stand was USA(marlboro)--the others always had a burnt taste to me.

Mostly I stick to fruit or coffee type flavors. finding the right flavor helps alot.

I am glad you haven't given up--I swear it is so worth it !!!

You should see how many people I've shown my Ecig to people who never tried it and they will be like smokers for 10 or 20 years and cough up a lung like its some non filter bong hit, even on something like GS or SE and then a 3.7 to 5 and then there like wwwhhhoooo, coughing crazy, When I first started I was all good but I can definatly see alot of people trying to get used to it from a real cig.