Disorganized Mess

It's not n the best interest of this forum to go there and start stuff with them. If you do you should keep VT out of it. Just sayin'

I KNOW!!!!!! I WAS JUST KIDDING, VT RULES, I would never put this forum out there like that, This topic was all in fun for this forum!

Edited by BEERCITYVAPRZ

actually ecf is well designed. i think what you are talking about is that there is way to many sections.

as for sections i don't like that there are that many areas, but when you are the largest forum for ecigs you need to cater to those other areas.

i started out at volcanoecigs forum as i bought that as my first ecig

jumped onto ecf

then came here as roober said she was on this forum.

i haven't had anything but pleasant interactions over at ecf.

being that there are 2,927 members here and 41,666 members at ecf, your going to have a larger % of bad apples there.

a smaller community is a community that watches what they say and how they act because it is easier to become the outcast.

I've always lurked on the ECF forums and only started posting when I became a supplier...and that's very rare.

There are too many sections and I used to always get lost. There is a new topic every two seconds it seems.

...41,666 members at ecf, your going to have a larger % of bad apples there..

Valid point Jolly, In my experience i do find it difficult to find anything there as once I do find what I am looking for the chain often goes off topic and becomes too tedious to follow with often bickering about oneanothers opinions

actually ecf is well designed. i think what you are talking about is that there is way to many sections.

as for sections i don't like that there are that many areas, but when you are the largest forum for ecigs you need to cater to those other areas.

i started out at volcanoecigs forum as i bought that as my first ecig

jumped onto ecf

then came here as roober said she was on this forum.

i haven't had anything but pleasant interactions over at ecf.

being that there are 2,927 members here and 41,666 members at ecf, your going to have a larger % of bad apples there.

a smaller community is a community that watches what they say and how they act because it is easier to become the outcast.

Oh Yeah with only 3,000 members of corse its going to be better, not as congested as 40,000...wow how many e-cig forums are there, Ive seen like TWs forum and this one, I wasnt ever into forums but when you start vaping and you have a computer, its like you want to know whats up in the world of vaping, I used to watch youtubevids, thru that I found this forum....as far as people being punks on ecf, if people want to talk smack DON'T bring it to a forum that is nice and shares ideas in a very respectable way like vapor talk, go do that on youtube with non e-cig topics there.......

Edited by BEERCITYVAPRZ

Thanks guys we do try to keep the forum organized.

I do feel for ECF and the vast amount of information they have. But I don't see the need for that many sections. The more sections you create the more members start to work as "clicks" rather than as a group. I have no doubt that Vapor Talk will continue to grow (ECF boomed right around the 3-4k member mark) and when we face the same amount of information overload I'll probably create one article forum with the most common asked questions. (Locked topics) That should cover 90% of all questions asked. The rest of the forum will pretty much remain the same I'd imagine.

As for rude members - while there are some awesome members on ECF there are many bad apples with some huge personalities. We have them arrive here on occasion and they are quickly turned around. A forum is only as good as it's members and staff.

I do feel for ECF and the vast amount of information they have. But I don't see the need for that many sections. The more sections you create the more members start to work as "clicks" rather than as a group. I have no doubt that Vapor Talk will continue to grow (ECF boomed right around the 3-4k member mark) and when we face the same amount of information overload I'll probably create one article forum with the most common asked questions. (Locked topics) That should cover 90% of all questions asked. The rest of the forum will pretty much remain the same I'd imagine.

As for rude members - while there are some awesome members on ECF there are many bad apples with some huge personalities. We have them arrive here on occasion and they are quickly turned around. A forum is only as good as it's members and staff.

Very well put Chris. And thank you for the forum! It has helped me to change my lifestyle for good and I appreciate it! :thumbsup:

In my opinion you have done a perfect job creating this forum its way more super user friendly than ecf, just lurking around ecf for like 5 mins. and I was like WTF, Im lost!!!! Thanks for a great forum Chris :thumbsup:

Edited by BEERCITYVAPRZ

The more sections you create the more members start to work as "clicks" rather than as a group.

A forum is only as good as it's members and staff.

both are spot on.

i rarely see the modders in the newbie section helping them out with questions, and then you have the pif people that sort of stick in the pif section. you will have people "like myself" that look for any and all new posts.

my only real problem with most of the forums out there is that the supplier section is so huge. you can slim it down to something more like

suppliers as the forum link and then sub forums. why they all need some huge area with their one section main link is beyond me.

for those confused it would look like the "Member Classifieds Section - Buy, Sell and Trade Ecigs" where there are sub sections for hardware and liquid.

i'm big on trimming the fat on forums.

I agree. I think the only section of this forum that will ever likely end up with sub sections is the suppliers section (Not sure how I'd break it down but I'm sure I'll drum up something) and the modders area. Other than that there really isn't much need to create sections by state and country etc. We are all vapers looking out for each other.

"Okay just to clarify -- size DOES matter?" asked the Princess:innocent:

size but also need a good technique

I agree. I think the only section of this forum that will ever likely end up with sub sections is the suppliers section (Not sure how I'd break it down but I'm sure I'll drum up something) and the modders area. Other than that there really isn't much need to create sections by state and country etc. We are all vapers looking out for each other.

yeah, for local meets a single forum area can handle that, one thread under that section for w/e the current meet will be and people can then just jump into there and find out the details.

the major problem with forums is that they cover to many areas and then you have all these spots where nobody is active just taking up space, resources, and become clutter.

i like overhauling forums to smoother.

Please no forum wars, even posting that here can get someone who monitors both forums to start a war. They are just really really big, when I first started up I was looking around over there, found good info, but it was more fun to come here. Founders and admins helping folks is cool.

Edited by FTJoe

RE: Jolly, Have you ever thoght about creating your own forum, I can image its not a easy task, you have to have people monitering them at all times to make sure everything is running right, and the vt staff does a good job. Im sure there are millions of people that carry the computer skills to do this, Im just glad the first one I found is the best as far as I seen.

Please no forum wars, even posting that here can get someone who monitors both forums to start a war. They are just really really big, when I first started up I was looking around over there, found good info, but it was more fun to come here. Founders and admins helping folks is cool.

I totally agree, I wasn't trying to start a forum war either, I was basically expressing my opinion of my visit to ecf, and it was way to congested, PEOPLE PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS TOPIC THE WRONG WAY!!!!!!

RE: Jolly, Have you ever thoght about creating your own forum, I can image its not a easy task, you have to have people monitering them at all times to make sure everything is running right, and the vt staff does a good job. Im sure there are millions of people that carry the computer skills to do this, Im just glad the first one I found is the best as far as I seen.

i have installed, ran, and monitored 3 forums on 3 different urls that i owned.

have used phpbb and vbulletin, tried some others but vbulletin is where it's at for me.

have also been an admin, mod, and super mod on a good amount of forums.

in all honesty forums are about the easiest thing to configure and install on the web. you edit your config.php, run the install.php, and then configure the admin panel to have sections and sub-sections you want. even if you mess up all you have to do is click on it and either edit it or delete it.

the idea to run one is there, funding to get a good host isn't. you can use some basic host but you will have to worry about down time with them updating the back end and crashes.

i plan on getting a server once i sell a few of these mods i build but right now all my money is wrapped up into what i already built and have yet to sell. more for the point of having a shopping cart, the idea of a forum is sort of less of an idea, due to the mass amounts of them already out there.

the only point of having a forum is either better managment and rules, better ideas you want to market first to users, or just a general lack of good design.

other than the few issues i have with the suppliers section and maybe themes, there isn't anything i could bring, new or inventive to the table.