Charging The Ego/tornado With A Regualr 510 Charger

okay - so I'm slightly concerned after two people pointed out the ego instructions say do not use anything but and ego charger to charge these. Now I have several of the adapters TW sells so you can jam the tornado into a regular 510 wall style charger because it won't fit otherwise. Up until now, I've been assuming these were simply extensions and I didn't need them for the 510 USB chargers that the ego/tornado fit. I've also been assuming the regular charger will simply take longer as they are 150-200 mah output instead of 450 mah like the fast charger.

Can anyone confirm or deny, I have seen the warning on the Janty site in the ego manual. I might ask TW. I would normally say I haven't had a problem yet, but see post on flashing LED! ;-)

From the TW site...

To Re-Cap. All TITAN CHARGERS-Mains, MEGA or USB will charge your TORNADO Batteries with this small adaptor.

The TORNADOS own USB charger, charges at a much higher power and will burn out all TITAN batteries if these are used in it.

Edited by FTJoe

All I can tell you is what I've been doing. When I got my first eGo batts the first of February, I also got the adapters from TW. I do have the USB charger that is made just for the eGo. I've used the USB charger a few times, but for the most part I use the TW 5 battery charger with the adapters. Six months later and I'm still using those same batteries - although I did buy 4 more batteries since then. I've had the extra batteries 4 months (2 of them are tornado and 2 of them are Joye). All of them are still working and working well. They do not hold a charge as long now as they did in the beginning, but I'm still getting about 4 hours out of each of them. I don't think that's too bad for this length of time.

When I use the USB charger on my computer, it takes about 2 hours to charge a battery. When I use the regular 510 charger with the adapters, it takes about 4 hours to charge. I never knew before why it took longer on the regular charger, but now I understand. It's never bothered me too much because I have enough batteries to never be without while some are charging.

I never bought a kit before (well, until last week), so I didn't know about the warning. I just went by what it said on the TW sight and I figured if they were selling an adapter to use with the regular charger, it must be okay to use it. And as I said, I've never had a problem in the 6 months I've been using them. I thought the only problem came with trying to charge a regular 510 battery on the eGo charger, so of course I never tried to do that. But then I haven't wanted to use a regular 510 since getting the eGo either.

Well I asked TW this:

I have the main adapter that allows me to charge the Tornado in the regular 510 chargers. I notice that the tornado fits fine in the regular 510 USB adapter without the main adapter. Do I still need to use this adapter even in the lower powered 510 USB adapter such as this where there is no issue with the tornado fitting?

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/products/special-offers/titan-usb-charger-product.html

And the response was this:

Hello,

Thank you for inquiring with us. If the Tornado battery is fitting into the USB charger with no problem then you don't need the adapter. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to give us a call.

Yeah - the standard is the same as the quick except there is less amps on the standard. That's why I figured it'd just be a trickle charge and take longer for the ego/tornado. I'm not going to sweat it. If I was not a suspicious person I'd say janty is just trying to be safe, if I was, they want you to buy the charger.

Well, after looking again, the warning that comes with the eGo says not to use the eGo charger with regular 510 batteries. So I would say you're okay using the eGo batteries on a regular charger. The warning says:

"This kind of USB charger can't be used to charge JOYE 510 batteries or it will destroy the batteries"

From the manual off JantyWorld

WARNING

DO NOT CHARGE ANY OTHER BATTERIES ON THE EGO CHARGER.

They will not be able to handle it and may be damaged or explode. Also, DO NOT try to charge the eGo battery on another charger- it could result in battery damage.

Edited by FTJoe

Thanks FTJoe. I've never seen that. I did charge on a regular charger with the adapters, but that was because they are selling the adapters for that very reason at TW. Because of that, I thought it was safe. I'd been doing it that way for the last 6 months. I ordered two eGo kits recently from PureSmoker (the first "kits" I've ever purchased), and they came with the chargers, so I'm now using those. Until reading in this post, I never gave it a thought. Although I've had no problems whatsoever in the last 6 months, I'd rather be safe than sorry. So I'll stick with the "recommended" charger from now on.

I won't sweat it either. Especially since I now have the "recommended" charger. LOL

Have you ever seen what TW has to say about this? I haven't, but I haven't looked either. I'm just curious since they sell the adapters.

I've been charging one in the fast usb charger and the other on the reg 510 charger with the adapter. Since I don't keep track which one I put where they are always switched around. So far I haven't noticed any problems. :whistle: