This And That

LoriHNC

What goes bad in regular 510 cart? Do they go bad? What is their function if you direct drip? Can they be cleaned?

Also, I just blew my first atty. I tried cleaning it for a few mins in warm water, let it dry overnight and voila, burnt taste and no vape. Does cleaning them do this? If so, I guess we shouldn't clean them?? I need to get backup in case my other atty goes bad. The feeling is like having analogs but your lighter is dying. :wacko:

Thanks in advance for info. :wave:

I have lost attys before by cleaning them. I don't boil my attys anymore. Every once in awhile I just blow them out and keep on vaping. :)

You may need to add a little more juice to start after you clean it. 2-3 drops after cleaning will not be enough. Probably need 5 to get started. Without enough juice, you'll get a burnt taste.

I don't clean as part of regular maintenance. When an atty craps out (dies, or gets a bad taste, or gets a tight draw) I just put it in a little glass with the rest of the bad ones. Once I have several, I'll boil them in distilled water. Since at that point I deem the attys bad, if they don't make it through the cleaning process, no big loss. However, it usually works pretty well.

The only thing I do regularly is blow it out, and also roll up a piece of paper towel and insert it in the end and let it sit for a while. If you repeat this a few time you'll be surprised at how much gets absorbed out.

Cleaning them usually causes more problems than it's worth. Blowing all the liquid out of the atomizer is your best bet to be honest. To do this simply blow on the battery end of the atomizer all the liquid inside on to a paper towel. Once empty be sure to drip back into the atomizer again or you'll end up vaping it dry.

There are also a lot of knock of cheap o 510 atomizers floating around on the market going for about 5-6 bucks, it's not unheard of to hear these having the burnt taste and blowing after only a couple of weeks.

If you haven't already seen it, here is a video on direct dripping. Direct dripping if done correctly will not cause your atomizer to burn up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h14QDp4v3O4

Thanks everyone. I think I'll just blow out the attys to clean them from now on. and then try what Brian does if they just seem like they aren't working right. I need to get some backups so I don't have to worry.

My questions were kinda in 2 parts. The top referred to carts, then attys lol Sorry if I confused anyone.

Carts do sort of go bad. Use the no more than a week at most. Then toss them out. But if your direct dripping you don't need the filler in the cart at all. Just remove it. Often times the filler will also give that plastic taste.

Since I've gone to dripping and cartomizers I don't really use regular carts any more. But when I first started using them I would use them till they got to bad and then would pull out the old filler and refill them with fresh "fluval".It's an aquarium product that they use in tank filters.

You can find it at PetSmart and you just cut off a small piece and refill the cart with it. It does work pretty well and since you get a crap load of it in a box it lasts a very long time. That way you don't have to buy the plastic cart any more.

There are a few videos floating around about it.

Good luck and happy vaping.

p.s. I got my last box over at the petsmart off WT Harris blvd across from the mall.

Carts do sort of go bad. Use the no more than a week at most. Then toss them out. But if your direct dripping you don't need the filler in the cart at all. Just remove it. Often times the filler will also give that plastic taste.

So even if you take out the filler, they go bad? Even if I replaced it with that blue foam stuff? I don't use one with filler when I DD but do you need to replace with new ones even if used empty?

Since I've gone to dripping and cartomizers I don't really use regular carts any more. But when I first started using them I would use them till they got to bad and then would pull out the old filler and refill them with fresh "fluval".It's an aquarium product that they use in tank filters.

You can find it at PetSmart and you just cut off a small piece and refill the cart with it. It does work pretty well and since you get a crap load of it in a box it lasts a very long time. That way you don't have to buy the plastic cart any more.

There are a few videos floating around about it.

Good luck and happy vaping.

p.s. I got my last box over at the petsmart off WT Harris blvd across from the mall.

Yeah I've heard about that filter stuff. I bet it would last forever made for a fish tank. lol I don't get to Harris Blvd often, only to go mall shopping and such. Crazy traffic over there as ya know.

My questions were kinda in 2 parts. The top referred to carts, then attys lol Sorry if I confused anyone.

Hey - get out of the noob section!!!

Carts if you are vaping ALOT can melt. Other than that, definitely reusable. Fluval, blue foam, tea bags, or just use them when dripping. The drip tips are cool and a little sturdier than regular carts. I used to by carts just to get the whistle tips and pull the filler.

Hey - get out of the noob section!!!

Yeah right! Where else would I be? lol

What is a drip tip? Theres a noob question if I ever did see one lol

I didn't realize carts would/could melt, but understandably being so near the hot atty. I do have a few that seem like the seal is weak. I'll toss those.

Thanks Joe

[

Carts if you are vaping ALOT can melt. Other than that, definitely reusable. Fluval, blue foam, tea bags, or just use them when dripping. The drip tips are cool and a little sturdier than regular carts. I used to by carts just to get the whistle tips and pull the filler.

What is a drip tip?

Kind of a round tip that fits in the atty, its drilled out quite a bit, very sturdy and meant for direct dripping. Instead of using a cart without the filler that you have to pull off to drip, the tip stays on and you just drip a few drops right trough the hole onto the atty.

Here's my fave (along with an LR atty and an Ego battery), the delrine widemouth (down the page)

Super T Manufacturing

many others have them as well and if you have a drill you can just drill them out.

Edited by FTJoe

i usually only clean mine when i will be swapping to a new flavor.

pretty much i let them soak in hot water from the tap. once it is cold i put them under hot running water to flush them out.

set it behind something that blows hot air (my xbox does this for me nicely). then after i'm sure all the water is gone from the wick i drop in 3 drops and set it vertical for about 10mins. come back and thrown in 2 more drops and vape.

i have been using the same 3 attys for 80+ days.

when i read the crest, alkie, and all those other seemingly extreme cleanings people do are the same ones that complain that attys don't last long.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much of anything to add, just like to hear the sound of my own voice. :)

Direct dripping and drip tips are the way to go. I use a delrin (plastic) drip tip that I got from, I believe, NHaler. It's much more comfortable than any metal one I've used. There are many vendors selling them now and they're highly recommended. Some of us even use them on cartomizers, making it easier to top the carto off once in a while. I'm a total fan of drip tips and need to start adding to my collection. The larger diameter the hole, the better -- especially if like me you don't see so well up close. :D

Let me also belatedly welcome you to VT! You found a great place.