Am I Smoking Plastic?

jboy

Hey sorry to bother you folks but I recently took the plunge and purchased the Bloog starter kit. I was really surprised at how well they worked! But tonight I decided to tear into a nicotine cartridge just to see whats in them and to my surprize I found two layers of spongy material that was wet with the "juice". I lit the inner layer and it burned clean so it must be made out of cotton or some other natural material. It's the second layer that scares me. I lit it and it melted and was obviously made of plastic. I get the idea. They are wrapping the element with cotton or something natural to keep it from burmning the plastic stuff. The problem is that if your not paying attention you can get it too hot and it burns right into the plastic stuff. Now I know the whole idea is to get us away from the carcinogens that tobacco contains but come on! I would dare to say that smoking plastic is probably worse!

So now I just don't know what to think? Has anyone else around here ever taken a cartridge apart and noticed this?

Sounds like a cartomizer? I have your solution... direct drip! J/K, dripping is my preference, but some people don't dig it I guess. Hang tight, the useful posts will start popping up soon. :)

Well I'm not familiar with the Bloog but all the carts I've used have just had filler material in them. And when they got bad I just replaced it with "fluval" (an aquarium filter material) that comes pretty close the the original filler.

Maybe someone else has had this problem or you could just pull out all the filler and direct drip.

Good luck and happy vaping.

Thanks but I think I'm done...

I just read on the bloog web site that these things contain propyline glyclol... thats antifreeze folks, in case ya didn't know! I would just as soon die from cancer smoking real cigs that I really enjoy! I can return the kit for my 90 bucks but I guess I'm eating the cartridges cause it says "for sanitary reasons cartridges cannot be returned".

This is all sort of aggrivating because I really try'd to research these before I bought them. I watched the video of that senator or whatever he is from the Ecig association web site and became convinced that these were probly safe. I'm not so sure anymore.

But hey I'm open to arguements if somebody would like to inlighten me. Then again I didn't join this forum to start arguements or flame wars either.

I've try'ed just about everything you can imagine to quit smoking and I guess if i can't do it on my own I never will. I just wish I'd known all of this before I wasted 150 bucks that I didn't even have. Oh well, the folks at Discover love me! :withstupid:

well i dont think very many people know about the bloog cause i know i dont. you need to get your money back and get a 510 kit way better! and there is no plastic that i know of in it! and i promise you do not want to go bakc to smoking! its not good at all! ive never heard of anything bad a bout the 510 kit at all that way my first PV and i loved it! dont just stop cause of your first bad experience! Try something else. oh yah and the 510 kits are cheap! like anywhere from 30 to 45 bucks!

Hi jboy, you bring some good questions. First of all propylene glycol is found in some antifreeze but it is not the toxic component of antifreeze. It is also found in my daughters asthma inhaler medicine. So no need to worry about that one.

I don't use cart fillers anymore but I do understand your concern with the melting fibre. I'm not sure if any studies have been done analyzing the cart filler material and its effects if melted.

I'm sure someone will come along with info on that one. Don't give up on vaping just yet.

Due to customs issues the 510 is out of stock! :ouch:

I guess I still feel like these can't possibly be worse than real tobacco. I'll just smoke these till they start to dry out and no more puffing every last drop! I was just tryin to make sure I didn't waste them. I have like 25 days to still send the bloog kit back - :rtfm: - so we'll see what happens...

If I were you I'd stop using those carts and just direct drip. Then you don't have to worry about heating up whatever is in those cartridges. As for Propylene Glycol, it's also in a lot of foods, asthma inhalers and fog machines. You've no doubt been ingesting it all of your life.

Here's a link of applications for Propylene Glycol. Propylene Glycol applications

If you're worried about PG, you can get juices that are made with vegetable glycerin instead of PG. Personally, I'd rather inhale PG or VG than the arsenic and other 4000 deadly chemicals in a cigarette.

if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask, the people here are quite friendly and helpful :)

Edited by Arturo

ethaline glycol is the chemical in anti-freeze,Propylene glycol is a completly differnt thing. As you can see by this Wicpedia article you have been ingesting propylene glycol for most of your life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

I looked up the Bloog and in my opinion you have a made a mistake.My reccmondation is to return it and get a 510 from one of the suppliers in the supporting suppliers section,I thnk you will be much happier.

The Bloog looks like a KR808, so it's a cartomizer. There are cartomizers for the 510 now also.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the inner wrapping keeps the coil from burning the outer wrapping, which is what holds the juice and allows it to slowly absorb into the inner wrapping.

Thanks for all the info and good advice folks! So I see that the 510 is just an atomizer... what else will I need? Which one is the best starter kit? I am assuming I'll need chargers and cartridges and juice?

There is Propylene Glychol antifreeze for cases where you don't want to contaminate something.Like water tanks in campers and heat exchangers that have consumables on one side.If you can return the Bloog I would as you paid way more than you needed to.A kit should be around $50.00 with no commitment to buy anything else.Check out the suppliers listed on this forum and you will see why we are all kind of amazed you are not just blown away by vaping.If the Bloog carto's are indeed KR808's I would recomend a DSE 901 as you can use your carto's on the 901 batteries.

Edited by mcquinn

The Bloog looks like a KR808, so it's a cartomizer. There are cartomizers for the 510 now also.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the inner wrapping keeps the coil from burning the outer wrapping, which is what holds the juice and allows it to slowly absorb into the inner wrapping.

Yeah I agree! It stands to reason that you should probly let it soak up some juice after each hit. I can see where it would get hot and burn through the first layer if you don't give it a rest. They should really warn you in the instructions though. Or at least construct it so that it cannot burn through to something plastic. I really think I'm going to send it back and try the Joye products. Prices are definitely better!

There is Propylene Glychol antifreeze for cases where you don't want to contaminate something.Like water tanks in campers and heat exchangers that have consumables on one side.If you can return the Bloog I would as you paid way more than you needed to.A kit should be around $50.00 with no commitment to buy anything else.Check out the suppliers listed on this forum and you will see why we are all kind of amazed you are not just blown away by vaping.

Oh I am blown away! I have try'ed everything else and nothing compares! In retrospect I think I am mostly just dissapointed in the brand I chose more than anything. After discovering that Prop-glycol isn't exactly what I thought it was I feel way better!

I chose the Bloog because they were on the list of manufacturers approved by the National E-cig association and were in the middle ground on price. But i can guarentee you that it is very possible, and not all that hard, to overwork the bloog cartomizer and be smoking plastic!

I just wish i'd have found this forum before choosing my brand.

all i use is cartomizers on my 510 and i have not had any problems with plastic. i love the 510 most likely the best kit out there! and you need to check out a diferent supplier i know there are 510 kits out there! you will not be disappointed!