Joker Volts

I just checked the voltage on my Joker and it was 6.5V. I put in a fresh set of batteries and it's 7.4V. That's testing it at the atty connector. How can it be a 5V unit? Freshly charged LiFePO4 batts come off the charger at 3.7 to 3.8V so you're getting 7.4-7.6V when first used.

It had been posted before that LiFePO4s only deliver 5.18V under load. However, I have to use my SB/PT at 6V on the enercell to get the same results as using two LiFePO4s. So is the Joker only regulated when under load, or is it just that the LiFePO4s only put out 5.18V under load? This is confusing me.

Using the same batteries and atty I compared the Joker with the SB and the SB/PT @ 6V and don't see any difference. However, when I set the enercell to 5V it does not perform as well as the LiFePO4s.

That's sounds a little peculiar. I don't own a Joker, but what is the recommended atomizer? Is it a standard Joye 510? Can you use a knock off 510? You know because the knock offs are slightly higher in Ohms than the standard 2.2 Ohm Joye. Do you think the Joker has the ability to adjust if you change out the atomizer?

i thought a 5 volt regulator just outputs 5 volts, so one would think that you'd get 5 volts right off the connector. Do you own a VP-PT? is it 5 volts right off the atty connector?

I just checked the voltage on my Joker and it was 6.5V. I put in a fresh set of batteries and it's 7.4V. That's testing it at the atty connector. How can it be a 5V unit? Freshly charged LiFePO4 batts come off the charger at 3.7 to 3.8V so you're getting 7.4-7.6V when first used.

It had been posted before that LiFePO4s only deliver 5.18V under load. However, I have to use my SB/PT at 6V on the enercell to get the same results as using two LiFePO4s. So is the Joker only regulated when under load, or is it just that the LiFePO4s only put out 5.18V under load? This is confusing me.

Using the same batteries and atty I compared the Joker with the SB and the SB/PT @ 6V and don't see any difference. However, when I set the enercell to 5V it does not perform as well as the LiFePO4s.

Hi Brian,

You have good questions that are brought up in the manual that I am still working on.

Yes, unloaded the Jokers voltage reads 6.5 volts with fresh batteries.

After all considerations while designing it, the loaded voltage and power is the crucial element.

A 510 atty measures 5.1 volts and a 801 atty measures 5.3 to 5.5 volts under load.

A zener diode is used for power surges and in rush current when turned on.

That is the reason why 3 volt LiFePO4s are used because they will supply power without

loses from resistors or a regulator, and thus the unit can last much longer with a set of batteries.

For short circuits a device is used to shut down the unit. if 2 amps or greater is being drawn

from a atty or carto, the unit will shut down after 5-10 seconds depending on how much greater than

2 amps is being used. It will automatically shut down within milliseconds if the unit draws 4 amps or greater.

I hope I was able to answer your questions.

Best Regards

Jeso

Hi Brian,

You have good questions that are brought up in the manual that I am still working on.

Yes, unloaded the Jokers voltage reads 6.5 volts with fresh batteries.

After all considerations while designing it, the loaded voltage and power is the crucial element.

A 510 atty measures 5.1 volts and a 801 atty measures 5.3 to 5.5 volts under load.

A zener diode is used for power surges and in rush current when turned on.

That is the reason why 3 volt LiFePO4s are used because they will supply power without

loses from resistors or a regulator, and thus the unit can last much longer with a set of batteries.

For short circuits a device is used to shut down the unit. if 2 amps or greater is being drawn

from a atty or carto, the unit will shut down after 5-10 seconds depending on how much greater than

2 amps is being used. It will automatically shut down within milliseconds if the unit draws 4 amps or greater.

I hope I was able to answer your questions.

Best Regards

Jeso

Really glad this is understood now, I couldn't find a manual for the Joker as I was interested in the device. Most (if not all) manufactures list the device voltage pre-load. I presumed that was the same with the Joker. I am glad I held off on my purchase as what I would consider a 6V device would be a bit harsh for me.

Good Find Brian, thanks for posting.

SO you are NOT using the Zener diode as a clamping diode but inline ?? humm weird use IMO but if it works then it does , are you sure it is a ZENER and not a regular diode ?

Just curious , the over current limiter is a GOOD idea !! safety never hurts

Really glad this is understood now, I couldn't find a manual for the Joker as I was interested in the device. Most (if not all) manufactures list the device voltage pre-load. I presumed that was the same with the Joker. I am glad I held off on my purchase as what I would consider a 6V device would be a bit harsh for me.

Good Find Brian, thanks for posting.

Oh man, I think 6V is the golden mean for vaping! I can't even vape 5V anymore. I just had to massage my juice to make it work better at the higher voltage, and all is good in ddave-heaven. This almost makes me think I could use the Joker with happiness!