510 Batteries

my 510 works great, my passthrough hasnt had any problems, but i have lost 1 battery to a strange problems of not charging. now i have a 510 mega battery that is having the same problem, the led stays dimly lit (about halfway) and another one (originally bought with the kit) gives me a dimly lit led when the button is pressed with 3 slow flashes after it is let go. the mega battery gives me the same 3 slow flashes when plugged into the charger but does not charge.

any ideas?

Sounds like the batteries aren't charging. Try cleaning the contact points on the battery and charger (maybe a qtip and alchohol). If that doesn't work, you may have a bad charger. Do you have any batteries that charge up on it?

yeah it charges my other batteries and i have always kept the contact points as clean as possible. the 510 batteries usually flash 4 times quickly when they plugin and start charging, but im guessing the batteries are posting like a motherboard does. like i said 3 slow flashes instead of 4 quick ones.

Wish I knew what the flashes codes were for that charger but I sure don't. One of our suppliers might, but I don't know if they're allowed to post. Perhaps someone will PM you with the definitions. Meanwhile it sounds to me like it's just time to replace the batteries. Even new ones can go bad. But I admit my experience is limited. Really I only posted because I like the sound of my own voice so much. :D (Just kidding.) Good luck.

Very well could be that the batteries are dying--how long ago did you get them??

The best thing I invested in and learned to use a multimeter to check the battery voltage (works great for atomizers to)--I know other things can affect voltage reading--but for me it has help me determine dead, dying or some other problem.

Using multimeter for 510: here we go..first set your meter to 200 OHM the touch the red probe to the black probe and you should get a reading of 00.0 if you dont and you get something like 00.2 just subtract the # from the reading you will get from the atty. Ok put the RED probe into the small hole on the battery side and the Black probe into the small hole on the SIDE of the atty or on the thread you should get a reading of 2.2 - 2.9 thats a good strong atty if you get anything above 3.2 send it back..lol the lower the # the better

Now the battery is done the same way EXCEPT set the meter 20v in the DCV section RED to the metal (Dent) on the battery or if you have a Mega just put it on the end that connects with the atty and the Black try and put it on the little gold band You will need to have someone hold down the batt switch while testing ..A half charged battery should read 3.6 - 4.2

I got a multimeter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-DT830B-Palm-Size-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B00066ZZO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1274551185&sr=8-1

sorry long response !!!

If it would let me I'd give you +2 for that kitsune! I've been trying to get people to tell me how to do that for months on here and no one ever takes me up on it. Maybe they think I'm kidding. Anyway, thanks! I actually printed the notification of this so I'd have the instructions in my vaping folder for when I try it myself. You absolutely rock! Thank you. thumbsup.gif

No Worries Dave--I got it from a fellow vaper that walked me through it. It really has helped me decide if a part needed to be benched.

I love my multimetter

Very well could be that the batteries are dying--how long ago did you get them??

The best thing I invested in and learned to use a multimeter to check the battery voltage (works great for atomizers to)--I know other things can affect voltage reading--but for me it has help me determine dead, dying or some other problem.

Using multimeter for 510: here we go..first set your meter to 200 OHM the touch the red probe to the black probe and you should get a reading of 00.0 if you dont and you get something like 00.2 just subtract the # from the reading you will get from the atty. Ok put the RED probe into the small hole on the battery side and the Black probe into the small hole on the SIDE of the atty or on the thread you should get a reading of 2.2 - 2.9 thats a good strong atty if you get anything above 3.2 send it back..lol the lower the # the better

Now the battery is done the same way EXCEPT set the meter 20v in the DCV section RED to the metal (Dent) on the battery or if you have a Mega just put it on the end that connects with the atty and the Black try and put it on the little gold band You will need to have someone hold down the batt switch while testing ..A half charged battery should read 3.6 - 4.2

I got a multimeter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-DT830B-Palm-Size-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B00066ZZO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1274551185&sr=8-1

sorry long response !!!

thanks a lot, i pulled out my dmm and didnt get a reading on the batteries. but i think i did find the problem and i dont know if anyone else has done this. people always tell me i have a very strong grip which i never seem to realize and i think i have been over-tightening the atomizer onto my battery and the gold connector that the atomizer screws into seems to be loose. i will have to be more careful with my next set of batteries but one of them i had just bought and hardly used, so i didnt think it could possibly have burned out. thanks for the help and i will keep my dmm handy more often for testing :D

I want to thank you for the info, too, kitsune. That was great! I'll add it to my notes, too.

As far as batteries go, you could have received one that wasn't very good to begin with. I've had pretty good luck with mine, but it's like everything else, every once in awhile you get a lemon.

Hopefully you figured the problem out though. One of the first things I remember hearing was to not tighten anything too much.

kitsune's wonderful ain't she? :) I sure hear a lot of stories about over-tightening attys, even before I got very far into vaping, so I've always been quite careful how tight I make them. Essentially all I do is run them down until they make contact. Yeah, sometimes they rattle around a bit on there, but as long as they're working I figure I'm gold. So far so good, too. So here's a +1 on loosening that grip!

But I always enjoy shaking hands with someone who has a strong grip. My dad is 84 years old and only recently has he gotten where he didn't about bring me to my knees when I shook his hand. :D And I'm not a small guy.