I don't have any questions...

bizzyb0t

Here's some things I've learned along the way. This is not meant to replace doing your own research but more along the lines of pointing newbies in the right direction. ;)

• Don't buy the first damn e-cig you see. Do some research, check out http://e-cigarette-forum.com and read, read, read!
  • If you bought it at a mall kiosk, it's probably going to suck and you paid way too much for it.
  • For any decent e-cig the price should be right around $40-$65, don't pay too much!
  • Don't go crazy buying spare parts until you find the "right" e-cig. It's easy to overdo it and get stuck with a lot of stuff you don't want.
  • Pre-filled cartridges are a rip-off. Any e-cig that has a cartridge with a built-in atomizer is also a rip-off. Buy liquid and refill your self. It allows for more flavors and is cheaper in the long run.
  • Don't go crazy buying giant bottle of a flavor until you've tried it. Buy the smallest bottle possible and IF you like, THEN buy more.
  • Concerning liquid-- most liquid sold online comes from one manufacturer in China (Boge), be skeptical of suppliers saying their liquid is "the best". Chances are unless they mix it themselves, they're selling the Boge stuff and you'll probably find it cheaper if you look around.
  • Liquids can be cut with glycerin and/or propylene glycol. This can be bought at your local pharmacy for $3-$5 and will make the vapor thicker. This will also cut the flavor down but stronger flavors (like menthol) won't be affected as much. I cut 50/50 and it's been great. This also stretches your liquid out-- for those economically conscious individuals. Also, if you buy too high of a nicotine content, this cuts that too, some people even buy liquid in higher nicotine strength with the intention of cutting it. Keep this in mind.
  • The polyester batting or "wool" in cartridges is replaceable. You can get a big bag of the stuff and it'll last you forever. Some alternative cartridge stuff includes, tea bags made out of hemp or polyester, or coffee filters. Do some research, there's lots of information out there about this topic.
  • The best way to combat the build-up that occurs in an atomizer, is to do preventative maintenance. I cycle through 5 atomizers, and clean my atomizers out once a week. I rinse in hot water, soak in ethyl alcohol while agitating, rinse for 5 minutes in hot, hot, water and blow them out. I then let them dry for a few hours. This process helps prevent gunk form building up and also removes lingering flavors and improves draw. you'll need to "re-prime them" with liquid by dripping on the atomizer itself, a few drops and wait, vape, a few drops more.
  • Dripping and topping off your cartridges are two different things. Read about them.
  • Keep your liquids, in a cool dark place out of UV lighting. On the dashboard of your car or even in the glovebox for instance, and your liquid will turn to skunk piss in no time.
  • Check a supplier out. In the supplier sub-forums of ECF (link at the top of this post), you'll get a good idea about a supplier by looking at their feedback. I suggest sticking to an easy to communicate with (and friendly) supplier. Keep it USA, if possible.
  • Keep your ear to the ground. It pays to know who's got what in stock and when. Supplies go quickly.
  • Suppliers are people too. Most of these guys are just ordinary folks trying to make a buck. Be nice and you'll be surprised how accommodating they can be. There's no reason to flame any supplier and if you get burned, move on, there's more suppliers out there. There's a difference between letting others know about your experience and being a ****.
  • E-cigs are in a constant state of flux. Models are redesigned, optimized and revised. There's also the issue of quality control. If you end up with a dud, don't freak out, things like this happen. Most suppliers will replace something if it's a manufacturing defect.
  • And finally, try doing some research before asking a question. You're not the first person in the world with an e-cig and a load of questions, use Google and the Search function on forums. Chances are someone else has asked the exact same question before you did and it was already answered. There's no need to clutter up the forums with questions that could have been answered if you weren't too lazy to look.
  • Okay wait... one more thing. If there was a model of e-cig I'd recommend (forget the DSE901/RN4075, M401, Penstyle, etc) I'd recommend the JOYE 510 (aka, Titan, Yeti, Dura-C) with a manual battery. Automatic batteries can be a hassle and there's durability issues. The 510 shouldn't cost more than $50-$65, and that's with 2 batteries and 2 atomizers in the kits.

tl;dr version: Research and read up on stuff before making impulse buys and decisions.

Feel free to ask me any unique and original questions you may have. :lol:

Edited by bizzyb0t

Very concise, to the point and clear! I like that! (And all so true.) Thanks...

Thank YOU! There's so much information out there, it's hard to know where to start. I'm a big fan of self-learning but I also like to help people. My soul is conflicted, lol.

:P

tl;dr version: Research and read up on stuff before making impulse buys and decisions.

Feel free to ask me any unique and original questions you may have. :lol:

LMAO god I haven't seen the Too Lazy didn't read version since my days mobbing around pbnation, any way great collection of hints and tips, thank you and welcome to the forum.

LMAO god I haven't seen the Too Lazy didn't read version since my days mobbing around pbnation, any way great collection of hints and tips, thank you and welcome to the forum.

I'm an old school netnerd, but I've heard that tl;dr is making a comeback!

Welcome to the forum and great tips :)

Thanks! *warm fuzzies*

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a tip that I haven't found on other forum sites that would have stoped me from making a couple of bad decisions:

Do not use your automatic e-cig while driving in a car with the windows down; the suction caused from the open window may be enough to activate your e-cig, not enough to light your led light, or produce any real tell tale vapor to let you know whats happening, but it can slowly char-fry your cartridge. It happened to me once when I had my pen style sitting on my lap while driving with the window down a little, and when I got to my destination I picked up my e-cig to find it quite hot; what was once near oderless was no longer oderless, and what once tasted sweet, now tasted worse than a GPC brand ciggarett.

The same problem has accured while trying to use my auto e-cig outside on a real windy day. So to avoid these problems its best to go with a product that offers a manual switch.

:D

I have to agree with the manual switch. It's a lot nicer bein able to take looooong slow drags for as long as i like. I took huge drags off of analogs and the cutoff always stopped me from gettin the amount of vapor I wanted. Plus the pressure switch can be a pain. It'll will get stuck eventually. Liquid will get in it. And it will break. Guaranteed. May take a while for some but it'll happen eventually. I dont see that problem with the manual batteries at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. This is my first post.

Thank you so much, bizzybot, for your post above. I am just at the research phase right now, and your tips are seriously useful. I've been prowling all over the web the last days about e-cigs, and am glad I found this forum. I want some real people's experiences with e-cigs, people I can chat back and forth with. I don't yet have any clear idea which brand I will go with, but reading your tips, now all the variables are starting to gel in my mind.

I was even going to go to the kiosk in the mall, which I happened to glance at as I passed the other day but had no time to stop. I didn't know, e.g., that the mall kiosks are a rip-off, that it's better to buy on-line. I was thinking that at the kiosk I could at least physically try an e-cig. Then I see everyone say Don't go to the mall kiosk!! Funny.

But I tell you, finding out about e-cigs, now is the first time that I'm really feeling I may be able to quit smoking cigarettes! I am looking forward to figuring out which to order and getting them and trying them out! And your tips about how to order (don't order humongous industrial size until you've tried it out, etc.), the specifics of the different elements, etc., are most useful, too.

I've smoked since I was 14, over four decades now. The patch, gum, brain-drugs, none of that is right for me. I like "smoking" too much. I smoke menthol, BTW. I wonder if I'll like the taste of the e-cigs.

I know there are potential problems, these being a new product without years of testing, but I'm sure going to try them!

Now I'll go and check out the other threads.

kathy

You sound a bit like I was cathy, stick with this, trust me it's easy. I also tried everything from the brain meds to the patch gum etc. None of them worked well.

Let us know if you need any pointers (by starting a new topic of course) and we'll be happy to help you

Thanks, Christopher! Now I'm going to go to other threads and just check out the various brands...but it's a bit overwhelming -- so many choices...and where have I been? Has it been about a year since these came out?

All I know right now is I want the cigarette-looking style, not the pen style; I want menthol; I want some manual switch or whatever (I'm not sure precisely how these even work yet, if you turn them on and off or what).

I will research before I just throw out dumb questions I could find the answers to myself :) But it's great to know I can find others who are into this. (Not too many smoking friends in RL, and none who have tried e-cigs.)

See you around here!

kathy

Just get the Joye510, the manual switch is easy to use, you push it, take a hit, and let go. Quite easy actually :)

The only issue with that is it's black, they have some styles of the Joye510 that look like cigs, but it's hard to find. Most vapor don't want their ecig to look like a cig, that way they can smoke indoors :)

• 2 years later...

I'm such a noob and have been reading though the forum before making a post... which i'm sure i will to cross my Ts an dot my Is so to speak. This post is so helpful! I've been thinking of getting the Joye510 as my starter to see if i'm going to like it or not. I'm only concerned if the Joye510 would be compatible with the EGO which I'd like to get... I'm sure I'll find the answer, i hope on here.

I'm such a noob and have been reading though the forum before making a post... which i'm sure i will to cross my Ts an dot my Is so to speak. This post is so helpful! I've been thinking of getting the Joye510 as my starter to see if i'm going to like it or not. I'm only concerned if the Joye510 would be compatible with the EGO which I'd like to get... I'm sure I'll find the answer, i hope on here.

Welcome to Vapor Talk! The atomizer for the 510 will work on the eGo. The eGo has a 510 connection. The charger is not compatible (you can't charge 510 batteries on the eGo charger).

Welcome to Vapor Talk! The atomizer for the 510 will work on the eGo. The eGo has a 510 connection. The charger is not compatible (you can't charge 510 batteries on the eGo charger).

Thanks Brian. But i can charge eGo batteries on a 510 charger? I'm trying to do what's best for my wallet. I have never vaped before so it's a matter of... How much money should i really put into something i may not like. I want to enjoy it, I'm really gona try to force myself to because I'm to the point... I'm sick of analongs! I feel like i'm ready and this will help a lot. Right now i have 60 dollars to use on this.I'm thinking of putting on a little more for the Ego it seems worth it. But from you, it sounds like I'm better off buying a 510 starter then getting Ego parts?

Thanks Brian. But i can charge eGo batteries on a 510 charger? I'm trying to do what's best for my wallet. I have never vaped before so it's a matter of... How much money should i really put into something i may not like. I want to enjoy it, I'm really gona try to force myself to because I'm to the point... I'm sick of analongs! I feel like i'm ready and this will help a lot. Right now i have 60 dollars to use on this.I'm thinking of putting on a little more for the Ego it seems worth it. But from you, it sounds like I'm better off buying a 510 starter then getting Ego parts?

I can't guarantee the 510 charger will work on the eGo. Some have the correct fitting, others are different. If the fitting is the same, it will charge, but slowly. If you can stretch it, go with the eGo and skip the 510. You can pick up an eGo for $50 at puresmoker, or $40 at Libert-Flights (make sure you click on the 20% OFF coupon box at the top of the site).

http://www.puresmoker.com/product_p/joyeego.htm

http://www.liberty-flights.com/product.asp?id=40

Here's some things I've learned along the way. This is not meant to replace doing your own research but more along the lines of pointing newbies in the right direction. wink.gif

• Don't buy the first damn e-cig you see. Do some research, check out http://e-cigarette-forum.com and read, read, read!
  • If you bought it at a mall kiosk, it's probably going to suck and you paid way too much for it.
  • For any decent e-cig the price should be right around $40-$65, don't pay too much!
  • Don't go crazy buying spare parts until you find the "right" e-cig. It's easy to overdo it and get stuck with a lot of stuff you don't want.
  • Pre-filled cartridges are a rip-off. Any e-cig that has a cartridge with a built-in atomizer is also a rip-off. Buy liquid and refill your self. It allows for more flavors and is cheaper in the long run.
  • Don't go crazy buying giant bottle of a flavor until you've tried it. Buy the smallest bottle possible and IF you like, THEN buy more.
  • Concerning liquid-- most liquid sold online comes from one manufacturer in China (Boge), be skeptical of suppliers saying their liquid is "the best". Chances are unless they mix it themselves, they're selling the Boge stuff and you'll probably find it cheaper if you look around.
  • Liquids can be cut with glycerin and/or propylene glycol. This can be bought at your local pharmacy for $3-$5 and will make the vapor thicker. This will also cut the flavor down but stronger flavors (like menthol) won't be affected as much. I cut 50/50 and it's been great. This also stretches your liquid out-- for those economically conscious individuals. Also, if you buy too high of a nicotine content, this cuts that too, some people even buy liquid in higher nicotine strength with the intention of cutting it. Keep this in mind.
  • The polyester batting or "wool" in cartridges is replaceable. You can get a big bag of the stuff and it'll last you forever. Some alternative cartridge stuff includes, tea bags made out of hemp or polyester, or coffee filters. Do some research, there's lots of information out there about this topic.
  • The best way to combat the build-up that occurs in an atomizer, is to do preventative maintenance. I cycle through 5 atomizers, and clean my atomizers out once a week. I rinse in hot water, soak in ethyl alcohol while agitating, rinse for 5 minutes in hot, hot, water and blow them out. I then let them dry for a few hours. This process helps prevent gunk form building up and also removes lingering flavors and improves draw. you'll need to "re-prime them" with liquid by dripping on the atomizer itself, a few drops and wait, vape, a few drops more.
  • Dripping and topping off your cartridges are two different things. Read about them.
  • Keep your liquids, in a cool dark place out of UV lighting. On the dashboard of your car or even in the glovebox for instance, and your liquid will turn to skunk piss in no time.
  • Check a supplier out. In the supplier sub-forums of ECF (link at the top of this post), you'll get a good idea about a supplier by looking at their feedback. I suggest sticking to an easy to communicate with (and friendly) supplier. Keep it USA, if possible.
  • Keep your ear to the ground. It pays to know who's got what in stock and when. Supplies go quickly.
  • Suppliers are people too. Most of these guys are just ordinary folks trying to make a buck. Be nice and you'll be surprised how accommodating they can be. There's no reason to flame any supplier and if you get burned, move on, there's more suppliers out there. There's a difference between letting others know about your experience and being a ****.
  • E-cigs are in a constant state of flux. Models are redesigned, optimized and revised. There's also the issue of quality control. If you end up with a dud, don't freak out, things like this happen. Most suppliers will replace something if it's a manufacturing defect.
  • And finally, try doing some research before asking a question. You're not the first person in the world with an e-cig and a load of questions, use Google and the Search function on forums. Chances are someone else has asked the exact same question before you did and it was already answered. There's no need to clutter up the forums with questions that could have been answered if you weren't too lazy to look.
  • Okay wait... one more thing. If there was a model of e-cig I'd recommend (forget the DSE901/RN4075, M401, Penstyle, etc) I'd recommend the JOYE 510 (aka, Titan, Yeti, Dura-C) with a manual battery. Automatic batteries can be a hassle and there's durability issues. The 510 shouldn't cost more than $50-$65, and that's with 2 batteries and 2 atomizers in the kits.

Feel free to ask me any unique and original questions you may have. laugh.gif

Copied &Stored in a safe place for future reference :) Thanks for the info especially about the cleaning part.