High Voltage Atomizers

What are your guys' opinions on using HV attys on 5v+ devices/mods?

From what I understand, these HV attys reduce the voltage output of the source by increasing the resistance, making the overall experience a lower voltage configuration. This added resistance makes for extended atomizer life since these higher volt devices/mods sap atomizer life much quicker.

That logic can't be final... a truly doubled edged sword? No... I must be missing a big fat chunk of info somewhere. What's going on with these bad boys? I could very well be misinformed by the small amount of research I have done on these HV attys.

*Also I have heard the taste and flavor on these attys are amped up a bit, but is it worth the overall loss of power, and is the loss of power even noticeable with or without a HV atty?

I think the HV attys were designed for people using 6V+. People are using two 3v batteries for 6v and some are using two 3.7v batteries for 7.4v. At these high voltages, regular attys don't last long and will often pop with a freshly charged set of batteries (freshly charged 3.7v batts are actually 4.2v for a short time so that would be 8.4V).

I'm using LiFePO4 batteries in my BSB. I've heard that under load they actually put out 5.18V (not 6V). I've been using the same regular Joye 510 atty for three weeks now with no problem and have had no issues with burning juice. In fact, I've found the flavor to be more intense.

What you speak of is the same combination that I've settled upon. I use the (2) 3.0 volt batteries (tenergy-LifeP04, RCR123a) for 6 volts and pair that with a 4.5ohm high resistance atomizer. I also use (2) AW 3.7v 16340 (same size as 123s) for 7.4 volts and pair that with a 5.2 ohm high resistance atomizer.

Why do I do this instead of just staying at 3.7 volts? That's because there is a real difference. The vapor is warmer, yet not too hot, the flavor is better, yet not burned up. Also with my 7.4 volt configuration, the battery life lasts hella long. Those AWs have such a high discharge current capability that with such a high resistance atomizer, it doesn't come close to what the atomizer needs or wants to balance out the circuit. The high overhead of current reserves means longer battery life, and consistent vaping. It's about as close as you can get to a Passthrough while still being portable.

One thing you can't do is use 7.4 volts on a standard joye 510 atomizer. It will pop after just a few fires. I can use a the 6 volt stack with a 510, and it works just fine, but you can't let it get too dry.

At 6 volts, a 2.2 ohm 510 atty feels like there's positive pressure in the chamber, you don't have to take long, even drags when you vape; you can take a quick hard hit just like you would a cigarette (2-3 second) and get lots of vapor and throat hit just like a real smoke. It all depends on the type of juice you use. Some juices cant hold up with the 6 volt, standard 510 pairing while others taste great. You'll have to find what works. I know the Essence line from eliquidplanet tastes awesome with that combo!

What's cool with high voltage is that you can change the experience ever so slightly with each atomizer you try. Joye 510s are 2.2 ohms; SLB 901s and knock off 510 are 2.9 ohms; 801 attys are 3.3 ohms; then you have 4.5 and 5.2 attys to play with also. It truly becomes a hobby when you experiment what juices work with what combo.

With my Xhaler, I can run the full gamut of voltages; 3.7, 6, and 7.4 and the full range of atomizers with one device.

I've been considering what Brian said about the "voltage under load" fact. it's just that I don't have a anmeter setup to get true readings, so I just go by feel, it's been working so far. I wish someone could give us true readings so we can really log all the options.

Hope this helps.

Tektronik