The "in My Pocket" Animal

I saw that in your status one day and had no idea what you meant by it. Now I do.

How did you get it?

Neighbor found it in his yard and asked if I knew what to do with it. I took her in, got her healthy, got attached but reluctantly gave her to a rescue, changed my mind a few days later and decided to keep her. I'm trying to spend as much time with her as possible (3-6hrs/day) She started flight training yesterday and did some nice 16" or so "flights". She's enjoying a peanut right now.

2010-04-25%2019.22.29.jpg

Awesome. :) Do you think you'll be able to keep her, or will you relase her when the time is right? I would be a little worried about letting her back into the wild.

I think I've passed the point of no return with this fella. She's relatively tame (for a wild animal) and I don't think she'd be able to pick up enough street smarts to make it in the wild. If necessary I'll build her a huge outside cage, maybe around a tree or something but if she stays as least as tame as she is now it won't be necessary.

She is adorable. Keep us updated on her progress. It will be interesting to see how it turns out as she gets older. Do you think you can house break her so you won't have to keep her in a cage? I am thinking along the lines of a litter box, like rabbits can be trained to use a litter box.

She is adorable. Keep us updated on her progress. It will be interesting to see how it turns out as she gets older. Do you think you can house break her so you won't have to keep her in a cage? I am thinking along the lines of a litter box, like rabbits can be trained to use a litter box.

As far as training goes - she uses the litter box in her cage about 80% of the time which is good and anytime she pees or *cough* on me, I put her in her litter box. Unfortunately she'll never have unmonitored free reign of the house because we have 2 cats and 3 dogs. Our greyhound was trained to chase fuzzy little rodents so I could never trust her with it 100%. Plus if she accidentally stepped on her, that'd be all she wrote.

As far as training goes - she uses the litter box in her cage about 80% of the time which is good and anytime she pees or *cough* on me, I put her in her litter box. Unfortunately she'll never have unmonitored free reign of the house because we have 2 cats and 3 dogs. Our greyhound was trained to chase fuzzy little rodents so I could never trust her with it 100%. Plus if she accidentally stepped on her, that'd be all she wrote.

Ah yes, the retired greyhounds. I am very familiar with them, my parents had one and I fostered several retired racers until they found homes. I understand about the cats too, caught my youngest cat on the roof chasing a couple squirrels a few weeks ago.

It is just nice that you took her in and that she is becoming part of your pack. Good luck and it seems she is doing well with the cage training. I can understand why you have become attached.

Ah yes, the retired greyhounds. I am very familiar with them, my parents had one and I fostered several retired racers until they found homes.

That's great. They're awesome dogs. Ours was obviously abused and it took literally months before she was comfortable with me petting her. She's 90% better now but still gets spooked real easy and doesn't like loud noises or loud talking but gets along with our other dogs just fine.

Here she is thinking very deeply about something

DSCN0356.JPG

That's great. They're awesome dogs. Ours was obviously abused and it took literally months before she was comfortable with me petting her. She's 90% better now but still gets spooked real easy and doesn't like loud noises or loud talking but gets along with our other dogs just fine.

What a cutie. Very nice to hear she is fitting in. My parents greyhound was not a fan of loud noises either. It must have something to do with the kennels they were kept in.

Sorry for the poor quality, but this was Dena and she was a foster for a long time. One of my very good friends have her now and yes she sleeps on the stairs.

post-1075-127225004176_thumb.jpg

post-1075-127225004176_thumb.jpg

What a cutie. Very nice to hear she is fitting in. My parents greyhound was not a fan of loud noises either. It must have something to do with the kennels they were kept in.

Sorry for the poor quality, but this was Dena and she was a foster for a long time. One of my very good friends have her now and yes she sleeps on the stairs.

BWAHAHAHA. That's hilarious. Pony likes the stairs too, it's like her lookout tower.

BWAHAHAHA. That's hilarious. Pony likes the stairs too, it's like her lookout tower.

That's too funny BirdDog!! Priceless!! I have never seen a dog sleep quite that way before. And I've seen them sleep in some very unusual ways, too. LOL

Thanks guys, she is a clown. Her race name was Queen of Denial. Pony is a great name for a greyhound. What did you name your little flying friend?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder what would the vet say when you go in with it? question.gif

Me and my vet are really close, i.e. married, and you know...doin it

That "dramatic chipmunk" is actually a prairie dog. I used to have 2 of them. They are incredibly intelligent animals.

More of Scoop:

Edited by Fritchard