Tempting Fate - Law Enforcement?

Ok, so I'll never claim to be the most upstanding and model citizen in this great nation of ours. Case in point - I got pulled over today because of an expired tag (5 months to be exact; because I'm lazy and not a huge fan of the tag office).

Officer Berm Taliaferro (yeah that's right, I always ask for a name, and you should too because they sure as heck know who YOU are) did the normal drill asking for ID and insurance verification. And I intentionally, yes INTENTIONALLY, left my BB laying across my lap while he gave me the normal speech and wrote me a warning on that special white and yellow carbon copy paper. I thoroughly considered it as I was sitting in my truck when he was running my license plate. I'm a very non-confrontational guy, and hate drawing extra attention, but I couldn't resist it in this case; I wanted him to see my PV and ask about it. I really felt the need to educate my local law enforcement about PVs because I know for a fact that they are just as red-neck as i am :) LOL! Or maybe I needed some stupid ego boost telling him something that he didn't know. Or heck, maybe because I don't know a single vapor within my county and I wanted to find a kindred spirit.

I keep a rag in my truck in the console for the times that I over-drip and need to wipe it down before grabbing the stick shift again. But I didn't feel it necessary to stash my BB underneath it because I really have nothing to hide.

But he was either totally obvlivious or just didn't care. Not a single word or question about it; heck, maybe he knew about PVs before I did!. I thought I noticed him glancing at it in the corner of my eye, but they always take a good look into your vehicle anyways. He just spouted the normal rhetoric about getting to the tag office today, or the next time he sees me I'll get a real ticket and have to pay for a tow when he takes me down to the station and leaves my truck on the side of the highway. Oh, and I have to get my side mirrors fixed too because it's state law that you have your driver's side mirror operational (yeah that's right; I've been driving for the past 4 years with only a rear-view mirror and no side mirrors!) I'm so ghetto.

Ug... You'd think the fact that my wife is the Bailiff for our district court would make me a law-abiding citizen, but it's just not the case :) And my father-in-law is the County Judge 30 miles south of where we live (I love the man; couldn't ask for anyone better) had only heard of vaping once or twice before I told him I'd made the switch.

Anyway - I'm curious to hear some experiences from anyone else in regards to their local law encforcement. Have you ever been questioned about your PVs? Had to demonstrate them, etc etc? Do your local police seem educated on PVs, or even care?

No experience with Law and PV's, but I have been ticked once and pulled over twice for expired inspection sticker and/or expired tags. I got the ticket once because I was 11 months expired. I don't know why I hate doing that so much, but I'm never on time. My truck inspection sticker expires this month. Wonder how long I can go this time. :)

Oh - wait - I've also been pulled over twice for expired tags, but had the sticker in my truck - just hadn't fooled with putting it on. I guess that just makes me LAZY!!!

Edited by Brian

Used to be financial for me. Ticket for non-inspection was $35. I figure it would have cost me hundreds to get the car fixed up to pass inspection. No-brainer. Trick was just to scrape the failed sticker off as not all states put them in the same place. Most leos will catch the expired or fails, but they have to go the extra mile to check the plates to see what state you're registered in and then realize you're not inspected. Worked great for years (two tix) until the son of my across-the-street neighbor stopped me in town (he was an LT). Worst part he let me go when he saw where I lived. He visited his dad all the time so I had to do something, luckily found a guy who did inspections or $30...always passed.

Yeah I'm pretty lucky in that Oklahoma doesn't require the monthly inspections anymore cuz I'd totally fail.

Oh and Brian you beat me with that 11 months. Longest I've made it was 9 I think.

So I'll get the darn tag renewed, but I'm not about to go shopping for side mirrors. Been driving without them so long that I don't even use them when driving my wife's car.

Ya'll are so naughty. Here in Tennessee inspections seem to go by county. My redneck county doesn't require them yet.

When we moved down here it was irritating to get all updated, lotta sitting listening to em call out numbers, but ya know.. most states you can renew online. They send your tags in the MAIL. You know, that box you get your vaping supplies in?

HEHE

uh oh !!! busted!!! lol :whistle:

LOL! Rock on with that :)

Hey DevilDucky, I'll assume that you're in law enforcement then. What are your experiences with VPs and also the experiences of your co-workers?

There's also a big difference between a regular Joye510 kit (standard battery) and a mod such as the BB, Silverbullet, Chuck, etc etc, and I'm interested in how that may or may not draw more attention as well.

Any insights there?

I haven't been flagged down by any law enforcement but I have tempered with authority...

Up here in college I use my PV everywhere I go, including my class rooms and main public facilities. I have two lecture halls where my vaping basically goes unnoticed. In one of my two smaller classes (30 students), I asked my professor (classroom authority) if I could use my PV in class. We had a small debate over it until we settled on subtle use of my PV in class (I sit in the back anyway). Also in my dining hall(densely crowded area), I am always sure to use my PV. I want people to notice my presence of vaping (I spread the word up here); many people usually attentively look or come up and ask me questions, including some of the head staff members (dining hall authority). A time I remember most specifically was the dining hall admin approaching me about the PV I was using while sitting alone at a table. He asked questions regarding the vapor substance and how the basics of electronic cigarettes work. It was obvious he already knew of them but has also not seen one physically. I ended up talking with the guy for a good 10 minutes about e cigs and their bennifits over smoking and how my intent by purchasing my first e cig was to never quit smoking cigarettes in the first place, it just happened naturally. I had a lot of good information to share with him, another one added to my list! :thumbup:

LOL! Rock on with that :)

Hey DevilDucky, I'll assume that you're in law enforcement then. What are your experiences with VPs and also the experiences of your co-workers?

There's also a big difference between a regular Joye510 kit (standard battery) and a mod such as the BB, Silverbullet, Chuck, etc etc, and I'm interested in how that may or may not draw more attention as well.

Any insights there?

Well, personally I have been vaping for over a year and currently alternate between a VP2 and my Prodigy V2 I use it all day whether in the field or in the office. At first it was pretty funny when I first showed up on duty with it I mentioned it in another post that some of our K-9 officers were being smarta**es joking around running their narco dogs on me. Now it's funny that when my colleagues and I get done for the day every so often they come back and say they came across an e-cig so if anything most of the of my fellow officers in my agency know what they are looking at. I have even converted a few.

my intent by purchasing my first e cig was to never quit smoking cigarettes in the first place, it just happened naturally

Now that's a dang success story if I've ever heard one. Fantastic SickDripzz!

Well, personally I have been vaping for over a year and currently alternate between a VP2 and my Prodigy V2 I use it all day whether in the field or in the office. At first it was pretty funny when I first showed up on duty with it I mentioned it in another post that some of our K-9 officers were being smarta**es joking around running their narco dogs on me. Now it's funny that when my colleagues and I get done for the day every so often they come back and say they came across an e-cig so if anything most of the of my fellow officers in my agency know what they are looking at. I have even converted a few.

Sick the dogs on ya huh? LOL! :)

Glad to know you've educated more folks, and even converted a few. I still have to wonder about the locals here though. Sometimes Oklahoma seems a LONG ways away from the rest of the world, and I've still yet to find another person around here that vapes. We'll see.