Mouth Sores, Issues Resolved

elbell

Thanks to everyone who replied with good suggestions and comments. Everyone can rest easy, I saw my E.N.T. doc today because another issue developed yesterday after posting on the forum. I noticed a sizable bump under my tongue and some swelling under my chin (upper neck area). I panicked, called his office and they had a cancellation for this AM and I was able to get in to be seen first thing this morning.

The bump under my tongue is actually a stone in my salivary gland (the gland under the tongue between the chin and Adams apple). He said salivary gland stones usually occur when saliva production is decreased which can also cause canker sores and why my inner lip is chapped (red). Apparently this is very common and after Googling it later today I confirmed that. He told me not to worry a thing about it. His instructions were to drink lots of water, massage the neck/chin area and suck on sour candy. Sour candy stimulates the salivary gland and with extra fluids and massage the stone should dissolve on its own. Moisture from drinking extra fluids (specifically water) will also help with the canker sores and chapped inner lip.

He did ask if I was on any medications or anything that would cause me cotton or dry mouth. Of course I told him about vaping & e-cigs and that I had notice my mouth does become dry at times while or after vaping. He was familiar with e-cigs and was thrilled I had an alternative and had quit smoking "those nasty tobacco cigarettes" (in his words). He had NO problem with me vaping. However, he did say it is important for me, especially, to keep my mouth extra hydrated. He also said the salivary gland stones take months to form and I have only been vaping approx 6-8 weeks. He said vaping e-cigs was NOT the cause of any of this going on in my mouth or the development of the stone.

I know some of you were concerned and as I was and I hate to be so wordy but felt some of you would want the details. Its all good :wine:

Excellent news elbell!! Sorry you had to be a guinea pig for us, but it reinforces what others have said on here, that keeping hydrated is important while vaping.

Moved to the Health Forum. :)

Edited by jeffb

Thanks to everyone who replied with good suggestions and comments. Everyone can rest easy, I saw my E.N.T. doc today because another issue developed yesterday after posting on the forum. I noticed a sizable bump under my tongue and some swelling under my chin (upper neck area). I panicked, called his office and they had a cancellation for this AM and I was able to get in to be seen first thing this morning.

The bump under my tongue is actually a stone in my salivary gland (the gland under the tongue between the chin and Adams apple). He said salivary gland stones usually occur when saliva production is decreased which can also cause canker sores and why my inner lip is chapped (red). Apparently this is very common and after Googling it later today I confirmed that. He told me not to worry a thing about it. His instructions were to drink lots of water, massage the neck/chin area and suck on sour candy. Sour candy stimulates the salivary gland and with extra fluids and massage the stone should dissolve on its own. Moisture from drinking extra fluids (specifically water) will also help with the canker sores and chapped inner lip.

He did ask if I was on any medications or anything that would cause me cotton or dry mouth. Of course I told him about vaping & e-cigs and that I had notice my mouth does become dry at times while or after vaping. He was familiar with e-cigs and was thrilled I had an alternative and had quit smoking "those nasty tobacco cigarettes" (in his words). He had NO problem with me vaping. However, he did say it is important for me, especially, to keep my mouth extra hydrated. He also said the salivary gland stones take months to form and I have only been vaping approx 6-8 weeks. He said vaping e-cigs was NOT the cause of any of this going on in my mouth or the development of the stone.

I know some of you were concerned and as I was and I hate to be so wordy but felt some of you would want the details. Its all good :wine:

I'm so glad!!!! I drink a lot of water while singing, and I have false teeth, so between the two I do okay. I have butterscotch candies, didn't know about the sour. But they do get the vape taste out of my mouth when I try a flavor I find ICKY :dribble: