Mouth Sores

elbell

I started vaping a few weeks ago and have recently gotten 2 canker sores in my mouth (one under my tongue and the other in the crease of my bottom lip near my gum). This is not a normal thing for me as I seldom ever get these, it has been years. Also the inside of my bottom lip is red and has little tiny bumps across the inner lip. It doesn't hurt at all but this is also very odd. I am careful not to load my cartridges too full with juice and I only vape 11-18mg PV from a reputable source. I seldom ever get any juice in my mouth and if I do, which is seldom, I immediately wipe it off and rinse out my mouth. Please do not tell me if I have these problems then I should consider quit vaping. Vaping has saved my life of 30 years of smoking cigs and many lung illnesses including asthma and CPOD. I am feeling and breathing great finally! I do not want to give up vaping as I might go back to smoking cigs (I hope not) but I need to HAVE vaping as my alternative.

Has anyone ever heard of mouth irritations and what can I do?

Thanks! I meant to say I use PG not PV (thats a noobie for ya : )but I will try VG and see if that makes a difference. It is making me a little nervous. I didn't think too much of the canker sores because those can be viral an I figured maybe I caught a virus from somewhere/someone but when I woke up this AM with the red inner bottom lip and little bumps all over it I got a bit freaked out. I was up late last night and was vaping fairly heavy and then I wake up to the lip issue, I thought "Oh no, please don't let vaping be the source!!"

Thanks! I meant to say I use PG not PV (thats a noobie for ya : )but I will try VG and see if that makes a difference. It is making me a little nervous. I didn't think too much of the canker sores because those can be viral an I figured maybe I caught a virus from somewhere/someone but when I woke up this AM with the red inner bottom lip and little bumps all over it I got a bit freaked out. I was up late last night and was vaping fairly heavy and then I wake up to the lip issue, I thought "Oh no, please don't let vaping be the source!!"

There's a list of common symptoms somewhere around here in the forums (just anecdotal). I usually waited a week to see if things got better regardless if I thought it was a result of vaping. Again, I don't know if the cold sores were and the safest advice anyone could give is to stop and see if it gets better, then start up again and see if they come back. Of course that means back to smoking which sux and why I waited a week to see. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV!! ;-)

I started vaping a few weeks ago and have recently gotten 2 canker sores in my mouth (one under my tongue and the other in the crease of my bottom lip near my gum). This is not a normal thing for me as I seldom ever get these, it has been years. Also the inside of my bottom lip is red and has little tiny bumps across the inner lip. It doesn't hurt at all but this is also very odd. I am careful not to load my cartridges too full with juice and I only vape 11-18mg PV from a reputable source. I seldom ever get any juice in my mouth and if I do, which is seldom, I immediately wipe it off and rinse out my mouth. Please do not tell me if I have these problems then I should consider quit vaping. Vaping has saved my life of 30 years of smoking cigs and many lung illnesses including asthma and CPOD. I am feeling and breathing great finally! I do not want to give up vaping as I might go back to smoking cigs (I hope not) but I need to HAVE vaping as my alternative.

Hi there, when I first started same thing happened to me, I surmised it was the PG in the juice, you can rince your mouth with peroxide and water mixed and also you could cut your juice with VG which you can get at walmart in the cake decorating aisle. They also sell just VG juice, but to me it isn't as good, mixing seems to help.

there is mention of this under symptoms of vaping which I saw quite sometime ago in the newbie section I think, don't know if it'sstill there or not. Hope this helps, fran

Yes, this is mentioned in the Health Effects section I believe.

I'm still new to vaping too, but haven't experienced any of those side effects (yet).

FTJoe's advice is very sound in regards to waiting a week. I have a slight PG allergy, so I quickly switched to VG (mainly prompted by my wife's severe allergy to it) and I'm much happier on VG too. If you have some extra cash to spare, you may give that a shot. There are plenty of good VG liquid vendors around, and it didn't take me long to find my favorite.

Beyond that the only other thing i could think of is the actual cart (the mouthpiece specifically). I don't think it's mentioned much, but I know personally I don't practice good hygene with my cart. I mean honestly, it's in and out of my mouth all the time and I don't clean it regularly. Sure, I throw them away and replace with a new one about every 4-5 days (even though I drip and don't actually use the polyfill) because I bought so many when i first started. But I need to find or come up with a good cleaning regime for mine.

I don't want to hijack your thread, so if anyone has some useful suggestions in this regard feel free to PM me or post here whichever you prefer.

The weird thing is that I have been vaping for 6-8 weeks and this just all of a sudden developed. I think I will try the VG. There is no doubt in my mind that this is from vaping though, sometimes you just know your body and I feel certain it is. I did look at WalMart in the baking section among many other places for VG and no one carries it around here. Please send some good VG juices and flavors with the vendors web-sites.

I drip as well so maybe I should try changes my cart more often. I have plenty of them so I might as well. Im not going to stop for a week tho, I probably should and that's good advice but I would go crazy :0 I'm hooked on vaping now. I will also try and find some past threads on this issue. Thanks all!

Sorry your having problems elbell, hope you find the cause soon. Try drinking more water to try to keep your mouth from getting dry. You could try using a warm water and salt mixture to swish and gargle with every so often to get rid of the sores. I also had pretty good luck with using scope type mouth wash during the day and listerine in the morning and at bedtime (before the first vape of the day and after the last vape of the day).

I am a nurse but don't really have a lot of experience with this type of thing lol. Just try to keep your mouth from getting too dry and rinse mouth out throughout the day. I would immediately stop vaping if you start having any sort of breathing problems (wheezing, shortness of breath, chest/lung tightness).

If you start having painful sores in your mouth you can use a combo of benadryl and mylanta mixed 50/50 to swish and swallow. About 2.5ml of each would be about the right amount. Careful because the benadryl makes most people drowsy.

Best of luck,

Brian

I am a newbie to this site and to vaping, but as a Dental Hygiene student, I would encourage you to seek out your dentist (as soon as possible) while the symptoms are still present in your mouth. It may be nothing, but your dental professional will be the best person to tell you if it's something to worry about. As someone who has smoked for as long as you have, you are at risk for oral cancer. Truthfully, we all are. So it's important to have any oral abnormalities looked at.

I am very interested in vaping as a mechanism to quit smoking cigs, but oral complications are something I am looking at as well. Obviously, I smoke... which is bad... but I don't want to substitute one bad habit for another bad habit. I haven't thoroughly explored this site, so this may be something that has already been covered at length. Just thought I would give my 2 cents.

A lot of things cause mouth sores,the first that comes to mind with your description is a virus.I don't think a pg allergy would just pop up after you've been vaping for so long,and the location of the sores are not in an area of the mouth that is heavly evposed to the vapor.As I can't see the sores over the computer,I think a trip to your dentist might be in order.

Gosh, I hope you're not allergic to vaping. HOpefully it's just a viral thing and it's your time of the decade to break out. I have to agree with the others though about making a trip to see your dentist.

Thanks to everyone who replied with good suggestions and comments. Everyone can rest easy, I saw my E.N.T. doc today because another issue developed yesterday after posting on the forum. I noticed a sizable bump under my tongue and some swelling under my chin (upper neck area). I panicked, called his office and they had a cancellation for this AM and I was able to get in to be seen first thing this morning.

The bump under my tongue is actually a stone in my salivary gland (the gland under the tongue between the chin and Adams apple). He said salivary gland stones usually occur when saliva production is decreased which can also cause canker sores and why my inner lip is chapped (red). Apparently this is very common and after Googling it later today I confirmed that. He told me not to worry a thing about it. His instructions were to drink lots of water, massage the neck/chin area and suck on sour candy. Sour candy stimulates the salivary gland and with extra fluids and massage the stone should dissolve on its own. Moisture from drinking extra fluids (specifically water) will also help with the canker sores and chapped inner lip.

He did ask if I was on any medications or anything that would cause me cotton or dry mouth. Of course I told him about vaping & e-cigs and that I had notice my mouth does become dry at times while or after vaping. He was familiar with e-cigs and was thrilled I had an alternative and had quit smoking "those nasty tobacco cigarettes" (in his words). He had NO problem with me vaping. However, he did say it is important for me, especially, to keep my mouth extra hydrated. He also said the salivary gland stones take months to form and I have only been vaping approx 6-8 weeks. He said vaping e-cigs was NOT the cause of any of this going on in my mouth or the development of the stone.

I know some of you were concerned and as I was and I hate to be so wordy but felt some of you would want the details. Its all good :wine:

Oh wow, yes thanks for the update ElBell. Good to hear that vaping wasn't a cause for concern and also that he was happy you made the switch. That's good news all around.

Hope you're able to make a quick recovery with that. It sounds very uncomfortable.

One thing to keep in mind when vaping...

We don't think about how dirty our mouth tips can get. Most of us direct drip or at the very least use a cartridges for an extended period of time. Just think about how much bacteria is getting on your mouth piece. When you smoked a cigarette it was one time and then off to the ashtray. This of course is not the case with your electronic cigarette. You may keep your mouth clean but how often do you take of your cart off to refill? Do you wash your hands everytime? Of course not none of us do. We'd never leave the sink! :lol: So it's quite easy to transfer germs from your keyboard, steering wheel, office building etc right to your mouth tip when you direct drip/refill a cartridge.

I have alcohol wipes I keep here at the office and I either wipe my mouth piece at the end of the day or I changed it out for a fresh one. Carts are cheap so I suggest purchasing some and changing out your current cartridge often, this should help :)

Fantastic news!! I hope your comfort level returns swiftly.

Dang, I need to find me a good doctor like that! "eat lots of candy". I'm in love. :)

Chris's tip is excellent. That's what I use at least every hour, just because I can't stand the stickiness on my bottles, hands, and cart... now T-tip. I even boil water and swish the t-tip around for a good 5 minutes every day. (not boiling for 5 minutes, but swishing in the super hot water). So far so good!

edited to add: Oh! and with the T-tip I don't get sticky fingers anymore either! (except from certain bottles of juice that seem to have a perpeptual sticky)

Edited by Uma

This is wonderful news! Not that you have a salivary stone, but that it's something benign and easily resolved. Of course, if it does not seem to resolve, surgery may be necessary, but it's a small procedure.

(((Healing vibes!)))

i am an rn and get canker sores when i quit smoking, the tar and additives in analogs suppresses your immune system and when you stop them you get canker sores for a few wheeks as immune system resets, painful but not life threatening like lung disease