Attys/volts/ohms & Watts

There's been a lot of talk about different volts and HV atty's etc. I could be way off base here, but from my reading it sounds like the watts generated is what drives the vapor production. I've put together a spreadsheet showing the watts generated for regular 510 and 302 atty's vs. the HV atty's. The Joye 510 is 2.2 ohm and the 302 is 3.2 ohms (even verified this myself). The HV atty's for both 510 and 801's come in 4.5ohm and 5.2ohm (although I've only been able to find 4.5ohm atty's... I've only heard about the 5.2 ohm). Anyhow, thought this may help everyone see where you are and give you some ideas about about things and what the different combinations will give you before you try anything. You've all heard about people toasting atty's at high volts - it looks to me like you really start putting the atty at risk when you're over 15+ Watts.

Anyhow, if anyone finds any errors, shout it out. If there's some factor I missed, don't be shy.

AttyWatts.xls.zip

AttyWatts.xls.zip

Watts with PV's is like watts with lightbulb higher wattage = more heat,if you apply more voltage you will increase the wattage and heat ,the high voltage atty's will put out a similar amount of heat at high voltage as a low voltage atty at low voltage ,so if you are looking to get more heat to make more vapor the high voltage atty's most likely will not deliver the goods.

The unit of resistance is called Ohm in honor of a German scientice by the name of Georg Simon Ohm, who discovered that when a conductor has a resistance of 1 ohm then an emf of 1 volt will cause a current of 1 amp to flow through a conductor.

Ohms Law. I = E/R or R = E/I or E = IR.

DC. or Direct Current is one that the current always flows in one direction.

The letter for Current is I and is expressed in amperes.

The letter for voltage is E and is expressed in volts.

The letter for resistance is R and is expressed in ohms.

The letters for power or wattage are P and W and are expressed power and watts.

The formulas for ohms law are.

If you know R the resistance and E the voltage the formula for finding I current is I = E/R.

If you know E the voltage and I the current the formular for R resistance is R =E/I.

If you know I the current and R the resistance the formula for E voltage is E = IR.

If you know I the current and E the voltage the formula for P power or W watts is P =EI.

If you know W watts and I current the formula for E voltage is E = P/I.

If you know W Watts and E voltage the formula for I current is I = P/E.

I've just printed that up and put a copy of it in my Vaping tackle box. Thanks, mcquinn for taking me back to 1993 when I first went through fundamental electronics at tech school at Lowry AFB in Denver, Colorado! That base was closed about two years later, but you still brought back good memories!

Brian, any info on 901 attys? So, 11 watts for 5 volts with a 510 atty. I heard Cisco talking about that once on Vaporcast. That's probably that "sweetspot" for vapor production that everyone has been talking about.

What about battery life? How do I put this to question? Ummmmm, Ceteris paribus, would the battery life be less or more with the combination of a high volt atty on a high voltage device when compared to a low volt atty with a high volt device? I assume that answer would parallel the comparison of a low voltage device. Thoughts?

I do have another spreadsheet for battery life, but I did it a while back. I'll pull it up and see about your question. Maybe I'll upload it. I haven't seen much on the 901. I'm sure I can find out what the HV 901 are, but don't know what the ohm on a regular 901 is. Can you test the ohms and let me know? I don't have a 901.

Tech school at Lowry? I went to tech school at Goofellow AFB in Sanangelo, TX (1989).

McQuinn - learned all that on the net over the past few weeks, but certainly can't remember it. I have to look it up everytime I try to do a calc! :unworthy:

Edited by Brian

I do have another spreadsheet for battery life, but I did it a while back. I'll pull it up and see about your question. Maybe I'll upload it. I haven't seen much on the 901. I'm sure I can find out what the HV 901 are, but don't know what the ohm on a regular 901 is. Can you test the ohms and let me know? I don't have a 901.

Tech school at Lowry? I went to tech school at Goofellow AFB in Sanangelo, TX (1989).

McQuinn - learned all that on the net over the past few weeks, but certainly can't remember it. I have to look it up everytime I try to do a calc! :unworthy:

did you dry your attys all the way before testing the ohms? both of mine are wet, not sure if that's going to affect the reading. I'll give it a shot.

Corry Station 1981. Wasn't for engineering. I'd tell ya what I did, but then.... I'd have to keeeeeeeel you.

Okay okay, so not quite THAT hush hush... I was a CTO - Communications Technician Operations.

And stuff

did you dry your attys all the way before testing the ohms? both of mine are wet, not sure if that's going to affect the reading. I'll give it a shot.

I tested brand new ones and got 2.2ohms on the Joye 510 and 3.2ohms on the Joye 302. From what I've heard, that's exactly where they are suppose to be. I also tested a couple of used ones and got the same reading.

Hold on.... (time lapse)... I just tested some that I boiled over the weekend and they have been sitting for 5 days so I assume they're good and dry. Got 2.2ohms on them also.

Took readings 3 times on each one (I only have two) both are averaging ~3.2 ohms.

I just noticed something too, they have SLB printed on the bottom.

Corry Station 1981. Wasn't for engineering. I'd tell ya what I did, but then.... I'd have to keeeeeeeel you.

Okay okay, so not quite THAT hush hush... I was a CTO - Communications Technician Operations.

And stuff

I wasn't engeneering either... and I could tell you about it, but likewise, I'd have to.... :laser:

ELINT 205X0. :)

And where is Corry Station? Never heard of that.

Edited by Brian

Took readings 3 times on each one (I only have two) both are averaging ~3.2 ohms.

I just noticed something too, they have SLB printed on the bottom.

Yea - I don't think Joye makes a 901, so they would be SLB. If they're 3.2 then that's the same as the Joye 302 (801). The watts would be the same as what I already have in the file for the 302.

The 901 I am vaping on now is 3.7 ohms,it is wet and hot though.I don't have any spares at this time,I tried Rath juice and lost four attys on two bottles.Shame ,it was very tasty but I won't be buying that any more.

Edited by mcquinn

the 901 I am vaping on now is 3.7 ohms,it is wet and hot though.

I would have thought the 901 would be higher than 3.2 ohms based on what I've heard everyone say about it's performance.

Well, that answers that! I guess I don't need to try a 302 (801) atty anymore to see what the difference is! they're about the same as a 901, right?

I really don't know. I've always heard that he 901 was a little cooler then the 302. I was really expecting you to come back with 3.6-3.8 (like McQuinn did). I've never used the 901, so can't compare. Guess I need to add that to my next shopping list. :)

These two atomizers were bought last year. I bought this 901 kit off my co-worker who introduced me to this last May (2009). He quit using and went back to analogs, so he sold the kit to me for 20 bucks. They are both used pretty heavily, but still work. If Brian's is at 3.7 and his is newer, that might have something to do with it.

I need to buy new attys.

Edited by Tektronik

I'm going to order some new ones on Monday. When they come in, I'll follow up!

Will be interested to see. In the mean time, I'll look at my battery file and see if I can clean it up and post it over the weekend.

I wasn't engeneering either... and I could tell you about it, but likewise, I'd have to.... :laser:

ELINT 205X0. :)

And where is Corry Station? Never heard of that.

Pensacola Florida. US Navy school... or was.....dunno bout today... I jest dont keep up lol

I use both 302's and 901's and I think they perform very similar the 302 just has bigger carts which is what I normally use.I only bought some 510 clones and the 901's when there was a shortage of 302's last year and I didn't want to not have plenty of spares on hand so I got some adapters to use them on my Kissbox passthroughs and 801 batteries.

It wouldn't make a difference. In fact it wouldn't vape well at all.

The point of a high voltage atomizer is to raise the resistance thus allowing them to perform better on high voltage mods without popping. I personally don't see the point. The point of a high voltage device is to make sure the atomizer heats very quickly, when you use a high voltage atomizer this doesn't happen. So why bother using the high voltage device?