If Someone Is On Oxygen!

Celtic

If someone is on oxygen with enphasima (sp?) and wants to start vaping because they really miss the hand to mouth but will not need the nicotine do you guys think that would be a good or bad idea ... or please give me any input you have?

Can it hurt the lungs at all in this case?

Toni

Well my Mother in law is on oxygen for emphysema and she can barely take a deep breath without coughing -- let alone vape. As shortness of breath is a symptom of emphysema I don't believe vaping would be too easy anyway.

If they are off nicotine and on oxygen then this person can certainly break the "hand to mouth" habit or try a carrot.

Can't say for sure but,I think the vapor could irritate the lungs on a person with COPD and make them short of breath.I'm a nurse and recommend vaping to many of my smoking patients,however I don't think I would make that recommendation to a patient who's respratory function is so poor they require constant oxygen. I even tell those kind of patients to avoid any kind of strong odors or fumes,it doesn't take much exposure to anything that irritates the lungs to put them in the hospital for breathing problems.If they were still smoking I might consider vaping an option but if not no way.

Can't say for sure but,I think the vapor could irritate the lungs on a person with COPD and make them short of breath.I'm a nurse and recommend vaping to many of my smoking patients,however I don't think I would make that recommendation to a patient who's respratory function is so poor they require constant oxygen. I even tell those kind of patients to avoid any kind of strong odors or fumes,it doesn't take much exposure to anything that irritates the lungs to put them in the hospital for breathing problems.If they were still smoking I might consider vaping an option but if not no way.

I have to agree with Seaspine. Even if there is no nicotine, the vapor will be an irritant to already compromised lungs.

Plain facts here, if this person has emphysema and is on oxygen, then vaping is pretty much out of the question.

I am not a nurse, or doctor BUT I am a practitioner of common sense. So that being said IMHO -- no vapeing allowed.

Still this is a valid question and yes lot's of people including me will respond with their humble opinions. As always in this forum no question goes unanswered -- as two cents is about all we have -- so you got my two cents worth. Ultimately you just have to weight out the answers that you choose to agree with, and make your own decision.

• 4 weeks later...

Plain facts here, if this person has emphysema and is on oxygen, then vaping is pretty much out of the question.

I am not a nurse, or doctor BUT I am a practitioner of common sense. So that being said IMHO -- no vapeing allowed.

Still this is a valid question and yes lot's of people including me will respond with their humble opinions. As always in this forum no question goes unanswered -- as two cents is about all we have -- so you got my two cents worth. Ultimately you just have to weight out the answers that you choose to agree with, and make your own decision.

My sister n law has COPD, is on O2 and is a decades long smoker. She says she wants to quit but just cant. I bought her a joy510 kit and lots of variety of juice a couple months ago. She has been vaping and says only smokes an analog 1 or 2 per day-compared to the normal pack a day. Still doing tons of damage but less then she was. Also,alot safer to vape with o2 in the home versus smoking.