Poor Man's 5V-Like Atty Mod

Brandon

Roor and Brian mentioned this atty mod in another thread somewhere so it's definitely not new information and definitely not my idea. I just thought I'd report my experiences with it... This is the "removing the bridge and wick" mod, for drippers only.

Here's the original video instructions by Phee303:

I've been using this mod since about 7pm last night and I've just got to say it really does work as advertised! More vapor production, stronger flavor, little more throat hit, warmer vapor (not necessarily a good thing). It's actually pretty amazing to me, and this is what I imagine higher voltage vaping tasting and feeling like. So for now, this is the closest thing I'll have to that experience.

If you've got a really crappy atomizer that's soon headed for the trash, try this mod. Honestly, what do you have to loose? I accidentally did it with my best atty instead of my worst one (got them confused somehow), but I have no regrets.

The cons I've noticed are that you run through juice faster, which makes sense when you think about it, b/c you're vaporizing the juice more quickly. Also, I had my first juice leak after doing this. Yup, even though I started dripping on day 2 of my new vaping life, I hadn't had an atomizer leak until I tried this... But, it just happened once now that I've figured out to let the atty cool down a bit between vaps.

Just remember this is a permanent mod, and once you start there's no going back to the way the atty was before.

Be sure to check out the comments on youtube for Phee's video. Seems like lots of folks like it.

Edited by Brandon

I think ROOR posted the "removing the bridge" vid... gotta give credit where credit is due. :)

Maybe I'll give this a try sometime... I do have a couple of atty's that are getting older. Not sure I can bring myself to do it though when my atty's seem to be working perfectly well the way they are.

Brandon, thanks for posting these links again. I must have missed it when Roor talked about it. Phee did a really nice job on those videos and I think I'll definitely try this when I get a little more dexterity back in my right hand. Nice of you to jump in to credit Roor, Brian. You're a class act.

The mesh over the bridge absorbs some of the liquid and meters it to the element.With nothing to absorb the liquid I would think it would be easy to flood the atty and it not be able to get hot enough to produce,not to mention having juice running through the holes and out the battery connection.

The mesh over the bridge absorbs some of the liquid and meters it to the element.With nothing to absorb the liquid I would think it would be easy to flood the atty and it not be able to get hot enough to produce,not to mention having juice running through the holes and out the battery connection.

Actually I've found it's harder to flood the atty, strange enough. However, leaking seems to be a problem, at least for me with this particular atty (have only done it to one). I had my second leak tonight in fact. I went to my parents house tonight for our weekly sci-fi movie night and left my 510 in my truck while i was inside for a few hours. Came out to a completely sticky atty and battery. Also got a mouth full of juice on my first drag.... Needless to say the drive home was not pleasant, but thankfully not very long either.

A thorough clean-up and I'm back on it again at this moment. I think I'll save this atty for chilling at the house, and just use a regular one for road trips.

I just tried this after watching Phee's video. It almost seems like 3 drops is too much. I don't get any juice leaking out, but it 2-3 drops definitely floods the heating element.

With the atomizer on a standard 510 battery (standard and mega) and 2-3 drops, the juice just boils slowly and doesn't vaporize like it should. Switch the bridgeless atty to my VP2 and it will vaporize the juice in it. I find that just one drop fills the little cup that the heating element sits in just right and produces lots of vapor. Only downside to it is that you only get about 3-4 hits, then it dries up.

So, with no bridge (and a fully charged 14500 batt) 2-3 drops works, gets the most vapor when it just about runs out of juice, then goes dry. That wick bridge was there for a purpose, like Mcquinn said, it's there to regulate the juice.

There's good and bad with this mod. There's definitely more vapor all around, but you have to drip more often. Considering buying those Super T mouthpieces so I can drip directly more often. Lastly, I wouldn't recommend modifying an atty if you're using standard 510 batteries.

Interesting Tektronik. I seem to get much different results... But I suppose with an atty mod this 'severe' variations are to be expected.

I see you're a fellow Oklahoman. Do you know of any vaping groups, shows, get-togethers up there in OKC? I'm down in Ardmore, and from what I can tell, so far I'm the *only* person I know or that any of my friends/family know that owns a PV around here.

I saw that video also.Seems to me that anymore than 2 drops would be too much for any atty.

But if you use one of those T-tips to drip with maybe it would work a little better?

Interesting Tektronik. I seem to get much different results... But I suppose with an atty mod this 'severe' variations are to be expected.

I see you're a fellow Oklahoman. Do you know of any vaping groups, shows, get-togethers up there in OKC? I'm down in Ardmore, and from what I can tell, so far I'm the *only* person I know or that any of my friends/family know that owns a PV around here.

I haven't really met anyone or let alone seen anyone in OKC using a PV. I get out a lot on the weekends, and I have yet to see someone say something like: "hey, which model is that?" Someone usually approaches me and inquires about it. At that point, I usually give them a business card from a web store that I've bought from. I do what I can to get the word out around here. Most of the referrals I've made have to other been guys in the military. They want one so they can vape while working, so they don't have to stop what they are doing and go to the smoke pit, or younger guys who can't smoke in their dormrooms.

I think it would be really something to find others in Oklahoma and somehow get together and spend a day hanging out. If everyone could bring have they have to one place, everyone could sample all kinds of juices, home brews, devices, and exchange knowledge, and have a good time! I'm really just starting to get into this whole thing, and I'm slowly building my supplies. It's fast becoming a hobby. This month I'd like to start gathering supplies for making my own juices. I found a local battery store that carries RCR123a batteries and chargers, as well as 18650 batteries, but not 14500s (the one I need!) Going to start looking for PG later this week. Plus, there's has just got to be some mom and pop bakery/store around here that makes candies and cakes. Hey, it's a start, and once I discover where to find things locally, I'll let you know.

I must admit, I've been this using modded atty all last night while studying, and all day today at work. It seems like the longer you use it, the better it starts to perform. I was ready to throw this one away, because the vapor production was poor and I've been using it un-modded for about two months, but now it seems to vape a whole lot more than it did when it was new. I suppose it has something to do with letting the juice "marinate" in the mesh surrounding the heating element. I'm still noticing that it produces much more vapor when it's about 3-4 drags away from running dry.

I saw that video also.Seems to me that anymore than 2 drops would be too much for any atty.

But if you use one of those T-tips to drip with maybe it would work a little better?

My thoughts exactly, That site says it's going to be down until the 3rd of March, so I'll order one and try it out. I've also noticed that if you put 3 drops in, take the first couple of drags while holding my VP2 at a 45 degree angle, then the next couple of drags with the device completely horizontal, it produces much more vapor that way.

I haven't really met anyone or let alone seen anyone in OKC using a PV.

I dig that. Chalk it up to OK always being a little behind the rest of the US on everything :) But that's allright, I don't mind being a pioneer of sorts.

I've definitely got a long way to go in regards to building up my vaping experience and supplies. Heck, I haven't even hit my 2 week analog-free day yet! But I'm excited about my new lifestyle nonetheless, and totally agree with you that this has quickly become a new hobby for me. I've watched every grimmgreen video, Chris & Sean's, and tons of other folks. Oh, and I've listened to every episode of VaporCast.

Good idea about handing out those business cards. I've got a couple that have come with the orders I've received (just got one from WordUpEcig today in fact). I like your idea of keeping them handy when someone asks!

EDIT: 100% agreement about angling the PV with this mod. I quickly became conscious of the angle at which I held my 510 when I started dripping, but it seems more important with this mod. Mine's still chugging along like a champ!

Edited by Brandon

My thoughts exactly, That site says it's going to be down until the 3rd of March, so I'll order one and try it out. I've also noticed that if you put 3 drops in, take the first couple of drags while holding my VP2 at a 45 degree angle, then the next couple of drags with the device completely horizontal, it produces much more vapor that way.

I noticed that as well... I bet its because the drops flood the coil until some of it is burnt away. Maybe try one less drop now that its going directly onto the coil?