What Causes 510 Atty To Flood?

Wannavape

I wrote a lengthy post about all the problems I've had trying to drip with the Joye 510. I got some great suggestions as to how to clean them, and I have now boiled two of them. I just hope they're going to work when they dry out. Yesterday out of the blue the two attys I was complaining about suddenly started working beautifully, and I was on cloud nine all day long. Today it all changed again, and I was back to having juice leaks at the battery connection and low vapor. I did the same thing today that I did yesterday, waiting until I tasted the burnt taste, then dripping two drops. Please tell me what causes an atty to flood so that I can do whatever I should to keep it from happening. It's so frustrating. ....Pam

Hi Pam. As hard as I try, and as much experience as I have dripping (not a ton, but nearly three months) I still flood attys too. I just did it today with my Janty Stick, and the quick fix is to pull off the cartridge, remove the atty, and, holding the atty up against a folded paper towel, blow through the threaded end to force the extra juice out. Then reassemble and take a puff or two to evaluate the progress. Then, if it seems to be working better, drip just one or two drops and vape. Then I'd suggest dripping one drop less than usual when you return to regular vaping, and consciously try to keep track of how often you're dripping (count the puffs, trying to take consistent drags) and hopefully you;ll make the adjustment that works for you.

I know how frustrating it can be, but hang in there!

Edited by SmokinHammer

Any chance you're "chain vaping"? Taking several drags in a row - back to back? May be just me, but I found that I get leaks most when I was hitting it hard and let the atty get very hot. If you're doing this, try lettling the atty cool down a little between drags... usually several seconds will help.

For me, making sure the attys stays cool and using a paper towel regularly has really helped prevent leaks. But, yes, occsionally it still happens, but not that often any more. I still always make sure I have a napin or paper towel in my pocket though, just in case.

Letting the atomizer cool down will usually help. Another thing to keep in mind is making sure you drip only enough for your current vape. What tends to happen is user A will add say 3 drops of liquid, then take 2 puffs and place the unit down. Then they come back later, add another 3 drops and vape again, only to have liquid leak out of the device. This of course is because there is far to much liquid in the atomizer.

I suppose if direct dripping isn't working there is nothing wrong with using carts, just make sure you keep them topped off and you'll get just as much vapor. :)

I've tried to be exceedingly careful not to drip too often and not to chain vape to the point that the atty gets extremely hot to the touch. How often do all of you have to take off the atty and blow it out? I tried carts and found that they didn't work any better for me than direct dripping, so I just drip now.

I'm even more of a newbie than you, Wannavape, so take this with a grain of salt. But I've settled into a 95% predictable routine for every drag. Your mileage may vary, b/c I'm now using nothing but VG juices instead of PG, but here's my method that's become fool-proof for me:

1 drop of juice, take 3 full and long drags with the PV held in the horizontal position. By drag 3, I can tell I'm nearing the end of the juice.

Then move the PV into a more vertical position (with the battery end pointed down) and twist it 180 degrees then take 2 more drags. By the end of the 2nd drag, I can start tasting that smoky carmalized burnt flavor meaning it's time to re-drip.

Really, this is foolproof for me now. Took me a long time to get to this point, and VG juices seem SO much more forgiving than PG.

I usually have two atty's in use and two sitting my my ashtray with a piece of paper towel in them. Whenever the atty start to feel gummed up (gets harder to draw) I switch it out.

Brandon may be on to something though with the positioning. If you're always holding it horizontal to the ground, the juice will run out and you're not vaping all the juice. Hence, when you turn it upright to drip, all the juice runs back down to the bottom + the new drops you put in.

I do want to say that you will figure it out. Stay with it. Believe me, my first week and a half were very frustrating. I really enjoyed vaping, but it seemed like I had problem after problem. I had leaks, I had poor atty performance, the cheap PT's I got both went bad. Then it just all seemed to come together.

Also, I hate to say it, but I think the 4 atty's that came with my starter two starter kits were not great even though they were Joye 510's. Once I got some new atty's is when things really turned around. If your problem continues, I'd suggest you buy a couple of new atty's and see if that makes a difference. I still have my original 4 atty's, and not to long ago I pulled them out and tried them to see if maybe the problem was just me being a noob. The do work, but not very well and they are very tempermental.

I'm even more of a newbie than you, Wannavape, so take this with a grain of salt. But I've settled into a 95% predictable routine for every drag. Your mileage may vary, b/c I'm now using nothing but VG juices instead of PG, but here's my method that's become fool-proof for me:

1 drop of juice, take 3 full and long drags with the PV held in the horizontal position. By drag 3, I can tell I'm nearing the end of the juice.

Then move the PV into a more vertical position (with the battery end pointed down) and twist it 180 degrees then take 2 more drags. By the end of the 2nd drag, I can start tasting that smoky carmalized burnt flavor meaning it's time to re-drip.

Really, this is foolproof for me now. Took me a long time to get to this point, and VG juices seem SO much more forgiving than PG.

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the ideas. Can you buy VG juices in the tobacco flavor with nicotine?

I prefer to cart as it is a pain to keep popping the tip off ,but on the rare occasion I do drip I have found it helps to turn the unit upside down every so often as in switch up ,then switch down .My theory being the liquid settles on the bottom and when I turn it over it runs past the element on its way to the new bottom.510's and 901's are kinda small so there is not much capacity there.It also is possible the liquid is going down the holes to the area between the element holder and the battery connecter.If that is the case it can short the connections and cause things to not work very good if at all.Drip one drip at a time and try to hit the bridge as it is what the liquid soaks into,if you are hitting the sides it may just leak past where you want it to go.The manufacturer use a little silicon caulk to seal the element holder to the tubing and most are not sealed very good.

Edited by mcquinn

My theory being the liquid settles on the bottom and when I turn it over it runs past the element on its way to the new bottom.

Mcquinn that makes perfect sense. Exactly what I imagine happening when I turn mine 180 degrees around.

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the ideas. Can you buy VG juices in the tobacco flavor with nicotine?

Most certainly Wannavape, there are several vendors carrying VG-only juices in lots of flavors and all of them have at least 1 tobacco flavor. I've only tried VG from one vendor, Rath's Juice from www.electronixstix.com.

I have on-order 5 different tobacco flavors from WordUp e-cig's store (haven't received them yet). So far, in regards to VG juices, they seem to have the absolute best variety b/c every flavor they sell can be had in pure VG, pure PG, or a 50/50 mix. They seem to get good reviews, though I honestly can't comment yet due to not having received my order. www.wordupecig.com

In my search for more VG vendors, I've found a few others. But since I haven't actually ordered from any except the 2 I mentioned above, I can't comment on their product or service. But if you're interested, PM me.

Also, Brian seems to know much about VG vendors as well and I believe he's received an order from WordUp. But in regards to flooding your atty, just give it some time and you'll find your rythm. And don't forget to blow that thing out at least every-other day.

Mcquinn that makes perfect sense. Exactly what I imagine happening when I turn mine 180 degrees around.

Most certainly Wannavape, there are several vendors carrying VG-only juices in lots of flavors and all of them have at least 1 tobacco flavor. I've only tried VG from one vendor, Rath's Juice from www.electronixstix.com.

I have on-order 5 different tobacco flavors from WordUp e-cig's store (haven't received them yet). So far, in regards to VG juices, they seem to have the absolute best variety b/c every flavor they sell can be had in pure VG, pure PG, or a 50/50 mix. They seem to get good reviews, though I honestly can't comment yet due to not having received my order. www.wordupecig.com

In my search for more VG vendors, I've found a few others. But since I haven't actually ordered from any except the 2 I mentioned above, I can't comment on their product or service. But if you're interested, PM me.

Also, Brian seems to know much about VG vendors as well and I believe he's received an order from WordUp. But in regards to flooding your atty, just give it some time and you'll find your rythm. And don't forget to blow that thing out at least every-other day.

Thanks so much for the great info. I have some more juice on order from Rocky Mountain Vapors, but later I'll give the VG a try. ...Pam

Yes and another tip is battery connectors tend to get wet when you flood the atty that can cause weak atty/charging performance. I wipe mine with rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and they clean right up then dry with the other end of Q-tip.The atty can be twisted in a paper towel to clean the threads dont use alcohol here as you will taste it as it will leak into the air holes..And blowing out the old juice and/or flood into a paper towel occasionally works well too and then wipe the threads.Keeping a stock cart topped off seems to be the least messy of all as the juice seems to stay put better for me.I have tried the PTB cart mod and get some that work well and some that just leak to much.

Edited by SteveD1

Hey Guys, I'm just going to throw this out there. leaking and flooding seems to be an ongoing problem for many of us. I drip and/or top carts depending on my mood.

4 days ago I finally got the hang of the blue cart filler from strictly e-juice.

fill an empty cart with 10-12 drops of liquid. push the blue foam into the cart to saturate, add a couple more drop to fill the cart with liquid and then pull the blue foam up to the top of the cart (like regular filler).

The blue foam acts to keep the liquid from draining out too fast, allows just enough liquid through to keep the atty moist and vapeable. since I started using this--top off less, drip less. e-cig stored LED up or LED down does not seem to make a difference. significant decrease in leakage and flooding.

In the last 9+ months I have tried all the tips and tricks and cart most with limited success. this really has worked.

Just a thought....

hope you get a solution that works. I hate leaking and flooding.

Happy vaping

Lisa

Hey Nana--I know !!! This time I think I have finally found 'the' one I can stick with for a while. the best part is--it's sooo easy.

let me know what you think. I am going to check petsmart tomorrow to see if they have a similar texture in the fluval line. the blue foam is cut 1cm x1cm and 1/2 cm thick.

Then again--with the free shipping--strictly ejuice isn't a bad deal.

I just got done looking at their site and I'd say that's a pretty good deal. I may even order some extra carts from them. And a couple of other things, too. :rolleyes:

Thanks again and I will let you know as soon as I try it.

Hi Nana and Lisa,

It looks like you two might be onto something good. I've only been at this about a month now, and I've already tried the tea bag mod, polyester fiberfill to use as a cart filler, and direct dripping. None is foolproof. What I've found with fillers is that after only a few drags, I still have to top off the cart and jiggle it around a bit with an opened gem clip. For all that trouble I might as well just drip. Let me know if the blue foam is the answer to all of our problems. Can't wait to hear back from you. ....Pam

Hey Pam, I'll be following the blue foam thingy, too. Sometimes it's just a hassle to drip, or having to stop and top off, depending on what I'm doing. Other times, having to fool with it is part of the experience. This sounds promising, though.

Beautiful dog. I lived near you, between Smithville & Leslie - out in the swamps, for about 10 years. Still own property down that way. I was just talking about missing AJ's Seafood the other night... Teresa

Hi Nana and Lisa,

It looks like you two might be onto something good. I've only been at this about a month now, and I've already tried the tea bag mod, polyester fiberfill to use as a cart filler, and direct dripping. None is foolproof. What I've found with fillers is that after only a few drags, I still have to top off the cart and jiggle it around a bit with an opened gem clip. For all that trouble I might as well just drip. Let me know if the blue foam is the answer to all of our problems. Can't wait to hear back from you. ....Pam

Well... I replied to you but it showed up a couple of posts later instead of under your post. Oh well, I'll learn my way around here before long. Teresa

Well... I replied to you but it showed up a couple of posts later instead of under your post. Oh well, I'll learn my way around here before long. Teresa

Hi Teresa,

Welcome to the forums. You'll find a lot of great folks here who are always ready to give you any help you need. I've only been at this for a little over a month, and I've found that Vapor Talk is the place to be! Small world, isn't it? I ride by AJ's several times a week. It's still there and doing a booming business despite the economic problems these days.

I think that any time you directly reply to an individual, it will put in the quote from the specific post you're replying to and your comment underneath that. Then it puts it all at the end of all the posts for that topic. I don't know if this description has made any sense or not, but you did do it right.

Again - Welcome! ....Pam

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the picture of my Border Collie, Bryce. He's my baby!!

Edited by Wannavape

Hey Pam, I'll be following the blue foam thingy, too. Sometimes it's just a hassle to drip, or having to stop and top off, depending on what I'm doing. Other times, having to fool with it is part of the experience. This sounds promising, though.

Beautiful dog. I lived near you, between Smithville & Leslie - out in the swamps, for about 10 years. Still own property down that way. I was just talking about missing AJ's Seafood the other night... Teresa

So I cheated. i cut a strip off a new green scrubby. (I should look and see what they are really called.) Rinsed it all perty just in case it picked up junk in the plastic wrap then made a plug like for the blue foam. Actually workin pretty good so far. I'm sure I'll have to clean the plug here and there...but better than wastin as much juice as i've done with poly, then PTB and other stuff. I have 901 carts on my 901 atty so I actually also have a piece of straw in there to hold my plug up.

This attempt is only a few hours old tho....we'll see how long it works well before I have to clean OR replace the plug. If it lasts even half a day without futzing with it I'll be thrilled!

Anyone want a bag of 10 blue foam things, PM me with an address. I don't want. Ordered 12 bags (stupid stupid stupid). I am hooked on my lazy PTB mod, can refill without removing the filler!!!!!!! I'll post a sep subject if no one bites. No worries on mailing cost, I can spring of the 50 cents or so, I just don't like waste!! One lucky person will get 9 bags instead of 10 (I used one) ;-)

They are from StrictlyJuice...

Edited by FTJoe

Anyone want a bag of 10 blue foam things, PM me with an address. I don't want. Ordered 12 bags (stupid stupid stupid). I am hooked on my lazy PTB mod, can refill without removing the filler!!!!!!! I'll post a sep subject if no one bites. No worries on mailing cost, I can spring of the 50 cents or so, I just don't like waste!! One lucky person will get 9 bags instead of 10 (I used one) ;-)

They are from StrictlyJuice...

Posted in the trade/sell section...