Did I Damage My Atty?

Hi -

Yesterday I put a rolled-up piece of paper towel in my flooded atty, and when I took it out a little while ago, I noticed what looked like little bits of the towel on one side of the arched mesh metal part. (I don't know what that's called.) I took the tweezers and pulled it out only to discover that it was several short silky-looking threads. I assume that's actually part of the atty. I was hesitant to use it but went ahead and tried. It seems to work just fine, but have I damaged it? Just curious.

I think what you pulled out was part of the wickking for the atty. If you didn't pull out too much it should be fine. But if it starts to act up you can still use it for dripping.

Those threads are only there to help the wicking IF you use carts if you only drip u can remove them.. you can also remove the whole bridge for dripping i have tried and know many others who your really like it.

this is what i do! i normally wait until the atty gets that really bad bunrt taste that comes after about 2 weeks of vaping from those threads going bad then i remove the bridge. this is how i do it !

PHEE303 IS PRO!

Edited by ROOR

Those threads are only there to help the wicking IF you use carts if you only drip u can remove them.. you can also remove the whole bridge for dripping i have tried and know many others who your really like it.

this is what i do! i normally wait until the atty gets that really bad bunrt taste that comes after about 2 weeks of vaping from those threads going bad then i remove the bridge. this is how i do it !

PHEE303 IS PRO!

also doing this will get rid of that burnt taste, and maybe its just me but it seems to make my attys last much longer! i haven't had a single one go bad, other then the 2 i got that were defective! so good luck! :thumbsup:

I usually pull the threads out when they look ratty -- If I can't see them, they don't bother me, but if I can see them, they drive me nuts. I've not had any problems after I remove them.

Didn't think about the burned taste--very good point Roor.

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the great info! I watched Phee's wick removal and bridge removal videos, and they are so very good! Many thanks to him for posting them. I have one question, though. If I remove all of the wicking, then drip, how many drops should I put, and how many hits should I expect before having to drip again with the standard 510? I don't feel comfortable trying to remove the bridge. As clumsy as I am, I'm sure to destroy the entire atty if I try that. I don't ever use carts. I was having to drip onto the cart to get some vapor any way, so I figured that I might as well remove them and just direct drip.

with the 510 atty's, I find 2-3 drops works well without leaking or flooding. I usually get about 10 or so draws from this. really depends on the length of your draw. I take about 5-8 second draws.

Happy vaping

with the 510 atty's, I find 2-3 drops works well without leaking or flooding. I usually get about 10 or so draws from this. really depends on the length of your draw. I take about 5-8 second draws.

Happy vaping

That sounds great, and I assume you mean that you get those 10 draws from an atty that has no threads. Or do you mean no threads or bridge? Is there really any reason to take out the bridge? Seems to me that the threads would be what causes the burned taste.

PHEE303 IS PRO!

Thanks for sharing this! I'm giving that a try! :thumbsup:

That sounds great, and I assume you mean that you get those 10 draws from an atty that has no threads. Or do you mean no threads or bridge? Is there really any reason to take out the bridge? Seems to me that the threads would be what causes the burned taste.

The threads can give a burnt taste but the metallic burnt taste is the bridge.

The threads can give a burnt taste but the metallic burnt taste is the bridge.

Thanks for clearing that up. So far the burnt taste hasn't been metallic, so I guess I'm ok right now leaving the bridge in. If it comes to that point, maybe I'll try to remove it. I won't have anything to lose anyway by then. ...Pam

• 2 months later...

also doing this will get rid of that burnt taste, and maybe its just me but it seems to make my attys last much longer! i haven't had a single one go bad, other then the 2 i got that were defective! so good luck! :thumbsup:

I take the "threads" out of all of mine before I even start using them... and I have lost like 3 atty's over the 4-5 months I've been vaping! I think that those fibers will eventually get all burnt and nasty, fall down around the coil, and actually aid in a premature death! I don't know... but I'm with you ROOR, especially since I drip anyway. Might be a different story if I was a cart guy I suppose. The serve absolutely no purpose for me and direct dripping. And I feel like they cause more harm than good in the overall lifespan. To each their own though. :thumbsup:

PHEE303 IS PRO!

I am Burn and I approve this message!

(removes all bridges from atties and only drips, uses cartos when dripping isnt preferred)

this is a great thread and offcorse there will be alot of answers , basicly its like juice ita all about what you feel more comfortable with , i have attys for carts that are (virgin) i have attys without wicking (somewhat Virgin)

and i have attys with out any bridge . each with there perpose . the bridged ones are for carting around , the unwicked iones are for direct dripping and the ones without the wickin are for tailpiping . they all do a great in the tasks i demand from them . again its all what you feel comfortable with . p.s hope this helped