Cugareete Taxes Going Up

Jeffb

Although this isn't e-cig news, I think ultimately because of new taxes we will see a new wave of e-cig converts. :)

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/20/states-budget-woes-ignites-debate-raising-tobacco-taxes/

Edited by jeffb

I'm glad I finally made the switch. I know I would have dug down and pitched in that extra dollar for a pack of smokes.

I just don't understand why they don't go after other things..like alcohol? Oh I know..because more politicians drink than smoke..wouldn't want to cut into their pockets.

This should bring more smokers over to our side, which in turn will piss off the big cig companies, which will lobby for the FDA..etc etc.

Thanks Jeffb.

This cracks me up.

What are they going to do when they can't get any more cash out of smokers and the tobacco industry? They better start an expensive new program to research who they should punish next for having an addiction.

LOL Jeff. But, hey it fits.. cug.. cigs suck...

I keep deleting all my comments on this. Can't seem to get past the GRRRRRRRRRRRR. They should all go to jail and not pass go. Leave the taxpayers alone!

hmmmm, maybe taxpayers can start charging and raising a tax on taxes we're taxed to death on...

edited to say: Thank God I don't smoke tobacco anymore!!! I sure hope those politicians stay far away from my ejuice!

Edited by Uma

Guess I'm very late jumping on this topic, but I'll put in my 2 cents.

Lots of comments made here that I completely agree with... And having just recently quit smoking analogs, I find myself torn between 2 worlds.

On one hand, I'm just stoic by this proposed tax hike. I've seen lots of tax increases on cigs over the years, and every single one of them caught me by surprise and really hit my pocket hard. But at the same time, I always thought to myself "Hell, I'd do the same thing if I were a non-smoker". So I never really got too worked up about it b/c I could always see the logic in it.

But on the other hand it's very concerning to me. My wife is still on analogs (I'm still working on converting her) but that isn't really the point. My main concern is that this next tax increase is just a gateway to causing us vapors even more trouble, and possibly the US public in general. Eventually these tax increases will become counter-productive, and all the extra government income generated by it will begin to slack off and eventually fail. When that happens, they'll look for other things to tax to make up for the difference.

E-Juice? Caffeine? Alcohol? Property taxes? Income taxes?

Once the big tobacco-generated government revenue is cut off, *something* will have to make up the difference. For now, they're claiming that the increase in the country's overall health and fewer dollars spent in health costs to counteract tobacco (and also all those anti-tobacco advertising campaigns) will more than make up that difference. But, eventually even that will peter-out and we'll be left with a government needing to pick up the slack by taxing something else.

Dang.... I really didn't mean to sound so preachy..... Anyway, it just makes me feel that vaping is more at risk now than it ever has before. More eyes will be turning our direction and the microscope will really come down. I think the vaping community as a whole should really start thinking about becoming more organized. Eventually we'll have to fight for our right to party, er um, i mean to vap. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I finally made the switch. I know I would have dug down and pitched in that extra dollar for a pack of smokes.

I just don't understand why they don't go after other things..like alcohol? Oh I know..because more politicians drink than smoke..wouldn't want to cut into their pockets.

This should bring more smokers over to our side, which in turn will piss off the big cig companies, which will lobby for the FDA..etc etc.

Thanks Jeffb.

If we raised the taxes on alcohol then the politicians would vote them self's another raise.

• 2 months later...