Exploding Batteries? Bs?

Awhile back a guy on totally wicked's forum posted that a battery (I think a rcr123) blew up in his BB mod and blew out 2 of his teeth and broke his jaw! I'm wondering if this is for real or not. My dad is an RC flyer and they put their batteries through way more than we do and he thinks that's BS. Any thoughts?

Now I could see that happening. It wouldn't take much pressure blow one up. My brother and I use to play around with stuff like that when we were kids and it's surprising how little pressure it takes to make something split at the seams.

I was looking at the BB and it looks like there is no venting for the battery. If the pressure has no where to go, I'm guessing it will pick the atty connector since that's probably the weakest point. Having an atty blown into your mouth is probably not a good thing.

Now I could see that happening. It wouldn't take much pressure blow one up. My brother and I use to play around with stuff like that when we were kids and it's surprising how little pressure it takes to make something split at the seams.

I was looking at the BB and it looks like there is no venting for the battery. If the pressure has no where to go, I'm guessing it will pick the atty connector since that's probably the weakest point. Having an atty blown into your mouth is probably not a good thing.

Exaclty. Here's the thread on the BB blow up, if you havne't seen it.

Awhile back a guy on totally wicked's forum posted that a battery (I think a rcr123) blew up in his BB mod and blew out 2 of his teeth and broke his jaw! I'm wondering if this is for real or not. My dad is an RC flyer and they put their batteries through way more than we do and he thinks that's BS. Any thoughts?

If I remember correctly, the guy was using unprotected batteries in the BB. There's a reason why it is recommended that you don't do that, and if this is a factual account it bears out the warnings.

There's a lot of talk going on around the batteries, because of this and a few other stories in the last week.

These new LifePo4 batteries are truly NOT PROTECTED. They have no PCB board in them, no electronic fail safe to stop overcharging or overdraining. The Lifepo4 (phosphorous & oxygen) are marketed as safer than Lithium Ion, as they are basically a powder (phosphorous) material used to store the electricity vs a the liquid lithium. I have seen these batteries on tons of sites listing them as protected, when in fact in they are not. They have no PCB board, which will allow the batteries to over discharge, going below 2.2 volts, which is where you can get into trouble.

CR2 batteries, which are the ones people use in the BB's to vape at 6 volts are ALL UNPROTECTED. There is no manufacturer curenntly making Protected cr2's. CR123A batteries however do come in both Protected, and NonProtected LifePo4 versions.

Basically, I would never use a battery that does not have a PCB board for protection in it to protect against over charging and over discharging. That's where the trouble lies.

Let me clear something up here before rumors start. LifePO 4 batteries are not protected because they are very stable. They don't explode under correct use.

In this case although the user thinks he was using Lifepo4's he was probably using a CR2 unprotected batteries marked as a Lifepo4. Why? Because we've received batteries from China marked as Lifepo 4's and guess what? They where CR2's unprotected. Some of these modders don't check before sending the units out. If your creating a custom mod you better damn well know what your doing. Oh but wait it gets better we've actually had manufactures in china offer to maker CR2's marked LifePO batteries at no extra cost, in other words flat out lie at the expense and safety of the consumer.

When you purchase batteries from a vendor in hopes of saving a couple of bucks you better hope they're trust worthy. With the amount of money some of us spent on cigarettes it's amazing just how cheap some people can be.

I personally only use Tenergy Batteries in my 5 volt unit. (American Company) There QC is extremely high and I wouldn't recommend anyone use anything else.

Another important thing to keep in mind is the user. People often mix and match rechargeable batteries, this can be VERY VERY dangerous. You risk one battery discharging faster than the other, then BOOM!

So please, purchase from trusted companies, spend the extra dollar, and if you have "LifePO 4" batteries that are ink sprayed, toss them out and get yourself some Tenergy batteries. Make sure your using a Tenergy charger as well, this is also important.

Vapor Talk has been warning about this for months, it shouldn't have taken someone to blow half there face for users to finally get it. Be safe and enjoy your 5 volt device! Just be smart! :D

My dad is an avid RC modeler and a vaper. The RC guys use huge LiPo batteries and are experts on this stuff. He said it was highly unlikely that an explosion would happen but it certainly could. The scariest thing he said is that he has heard of people burning their houses down when a LiPo explodes under charge. Apparently, they can create a fire. He recommended that you never charge a battery unattended. I use to charge mine overnight but not any more! He said that an alternative is to use an extension chord and charge them in a metal pot with a lid. That way if they catch fire, they won't start a fire. It's something to think about!

My dad is an avid RC modeler and a vaper. The RC guys use huge LiPo batteries and are experts on this stuff. He said it was highly unlikely that an explosion would happen but it certainly could. The scariest thing he said is that he has heard of people burning their houses down when a LiPo explodes under charge. Apparently, they can create a fire. He recommended that you never charge a battery unattended. I use to charge mine overnight but not any more! He said that an alternative is to use an extension chord and charge them in a metal pot with a lid. That way if they catch fire, they won't start a fire. It's something to think about!

Thanks for posting this, jm. I've been a bit concerned about the batteries lately. Before all this came up, I didn't even know that batteries could explode. You'd think I couldn't get to be the age I'm at and not know something like, but I really didn't. I use batteries in so many things and have never given it a thought. But now having them so close to my face and hearing these things, it has become a concern. I used to charger my batteries overnight, too, but no longer do. I'd much rather be safe than sorry.

I hope my VP2 is ok .... but since it's not 5v, I'm not to worry, right??

Chris talked about the safety features of the VP units somewhere. I think with the VP unit are designed so that is something like that happened, the endcap would blow off, not the atty end. I'll let Chris elaborate though.

Chris talked about the safety features of the VP units somewhere. I think with the VP unit are designed so that is something like that happened, the endcap would blow off, not the atty end. I'll let Chris elaborate though.

That is correct. On the VP2 and the Spade you will notice that the bottom cap only screws on aprox 1 turn (using fine threads) so that it would blow off with little resistance as opposed to the atty end which screws on further. It's all in the design which most people don't bother to think about.

That is correct. On the VP2 and the Spade you will notice that the bottom cap only screws on aprox 1 turn (using fine threads) so that it would blow off with little resistance as opposed to the atty end which screws on further. It's all in the design which most people don't bother to think about.

And the "TrustFire" Batteries are good too eh??

The LED holes are also vent holes.

I read the LED holes are vent holes before but I noticed the battery compartment is sealed. How would the battery gases vent out of the LED holes?

I thought that too, but if you put your mouth over the bottom and blow into it, air will come out of the holes. I tried it with the Spade today. Haven't tried the VP2, but assume it's the same.

Let me clear something up here before rumors start. LifePO 4 batteries are not protected because they are very stable. They don't explode under correct use.

In this case although the user thinks he was using Lifepo4's he was probably using a CR2 unprotected batteries marked as a Lifepo4. Why? Because we've received batteries from China marked as Lifepo 4's and guess what? They where CR2's unprotected. Some of these modders don't check before sending the units out. If your creating a custom mod you better damn well know what your doing. Oh but wait it gets better we've actually had manufactures in china offer to maker CR2's marked LifePO batteries at no extra cost, in other words flat out lie at the expense and safety of the consumer.

When you purchase batteries from a vendor in hopes of saving a couple of bucks you better hope they're trust worthy. With the amount of money some of us spent on cigarettes it's amazing just how cheap some people can be.

I personally only use Tenergy Batteries in my 5 volt unit. (American Company) There QC is extremely high and I wouldn't recommend anyone use anything else.

Another important thing to keep in mind is the user. People often mix and match rechargeable batteries, this can be VERY VERY dangerous. You risk one battery discharging faster than the other, then BOOM!

So please, purchase from trusted companies, spend the extra dollar, and if you have "LifePO 4" batteries that are ink sprayed, toss them out and get yourself some Tenergy batteries. Make sure your using a Tenergy charger as well, this is also important.

Vapor Talk has been warning about this for months, it shouldn't have taken someone to blow half there face for users to finally get it. Be safe and enjoy your 5 volt device! Just be smart! :D

What about the TrustFire batteries that I got with my VP2? How do I know if those are the real thing or not? It sure says they are... but now you have me concerned about what the Chinese are doing with stuff. Just curious as to if these are what they say they are.

What about the TrustFire batteries that I got with my VP2? How do I know if those are the real thing or not? It sure says they are... but now you have me concerned about what the Chinese are doing with stuff. Just curious as to if these are what they say they are.

Looking at the description on batteryjunction, the unprotected 14500's are 14mm X 50mm. Protected 14500's are 14mm X 52mm. The protected batteries will always be a little longer than the unprotected. Now get out your ruler. he he. Not sure this will really give you the answer.

Looking at the description on batteryjunction, the unprotected 14500's are 14mm X 50mm. Protected 14500's are 14mm X 52mm. The protected batteries will always be a little longer than the unprotected. Now get out your ruler. he he. Not sure this will really give you the answer.

Yeah, I stood the two types up side by side to see... and it is indeed a tiny bit taller. I just wondered if they "faked" that too as good as they are when it comes to that! I doubt it though huh? I would guess those TrustFires are ok. Another cool thing was... it says on Vaprlife's website, where I got it, that it comes with a couple of 700-800 mAh batteries. He sent 900 mAh's with my order... if that really makes much difference!

Edited by DAYVAPE

I don't know if I mentioned this in my video, but the Xhaler is vented at the bottom so there is little chance of it blowing up. I routinely run 2 - 3.7V batteries in the thing and don't give it a second thought. If you are looking for a safe hv mod, the Xhaler seems to fill that bill.