The Fix

I just got this in an email this morning. I really like the idea - if they will wait until mid December to put it into effect so that both my husband and I will be 50. :whistle:

The Fix

There recently was an article in the St. Petersburg Fl. Times. The Business Section asked readers for ideas on: "How Would You Fix the Economy?" I think this guy nailed it!

Dear Mr. President,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan. You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new American CAR. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes...

Mr. President, while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!

If you think this would work, please forward to everyone you know.

If not, please disregard.

Nana , you have said a bazillion times, that you and I think exactly alike. You have just proven it, beyond question.

That is one of those things I read and think to myself " WHY the HECK didnt I think of that !"

Thanks Nana, awesome post ! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I also would like to see some money go out to helping pay off student loans. If I didn't have hefty loans to pay every month I would be putting much more money back into our economy.

I have to agree with you. Student loans can be a killer. I believe education is like our healthcare system. Both are broken and both will cost you tons of money.

Amen this would also fix the situation of all the pre retirees that lost their pension and investments to greedy investors and companies that felt they shouldn't allow folks to have what they worked so hard for for the last 40 years they established when asking for bail outs.

WTG Nana on this post it hits the nail and the fact !!!!

That's a plan I could vote for! Particularly since I'm looking down the barrel of no-way-can-I-ever-retire. I was just starting to think about it when my 401K went belly up - for the second time, too. My father retired when he was a year younger than I am now. I'm looking at working another eight years at least. Who knows, maybe I'll just have to work until I die or they kick me out of here.

At least I'm working and for a great company. (This morning I was in line at the cafeteria and one of the VPs saw me and bought my breakfast. How often does that happen?) I work four 10-hr days, so I get a three-day weekend every week; I get 23 days of vacation plus about 12 holiday days. I can pretty much take off whenever I need to take my wife to the dr, and if she's so sick I need to stay home, I can telecommute. I really have a good deal, so don't think I'm complaining. I am blessed and I know it.

But really - I'd love to retire and have seven-day weekends! If the govt gave me a million bucks and made me pay off my mortgage and buy a car ... well, I'm a good citizen. I'd do it. :D

That's a plan I could vote for! Particularly since I'm looking down the barrel of no-way-can-I-ever-retire. I was just starting to think about it when my 401K went belly up - for the second time, too. My father retired when he was a year younger than I am now. I'm looking at working another eight years at least. Who knows, maybe I'll just have to work until I die or they kick me out of here.

At least I'm working and for a great company. (This morning I was in line at the cafeteria and one of the VPs saw me and bought my breakfast. How often does that happen?) I work four 10-hr days, so I get a three-day weekend every week; I get 23 days of vacation plus about 12 holiday days. I can pretty much take off whenever I need to take my wife to the dr, and if she's so sick I need to stay home, I can telecommute. I really have a good deal, so don't think I'm complaining. I am blessed and I know it.

But really - I'd love to retire and have seven-day weekends! If the govt gave me a million bucks and made me pay off my mortgage and buy a car ... well, I'm a good citizen. I'd do it. :D

Hey Dave, wanna put in a good word for me.

Hey Dave, wanna put in a good word for me.

Brother I can tell you there ain't no hiring going on, or I'd hire you myself. I was all set to move to a new job (actually, expanded role that have been lobbying for for years) but it got nixed in the 11th hour because they didn't want to backfill my current position. Economy will turn around eventually man, I have to believe it. Hang in there as best you can.