Removing The Wick

Brian

I don't know if we can talk about pulling your wick out without getting Keenan started, but I'll try.

Earlier today I watched a vid on vapersplace that showed how to remove the wick (or threads)from an atty. Of course, you'd only want to do this for direct dripping. Was wondering if anyone has tried that and what the results were? Sounds like it may keep the atty in better working condition as the threads can get fried to the atty.

I don't know if we can talk about pulling your wick out without getting Keenan started, but I'll try.

Earlier today I watched a vid on vapersplace that showed how to remove the wick (or threads)from an atty. Of course, you'd only want to do this for direct dripping. Was wondering if anyone has tried that and what the results were? Sounds like it may keep the atty in better working condition as the threads can get fried to the atty.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

From what Ive heard, you shouldnt mess with the wick, it will cause it to malfunction.

Ok, I THINK we're talkin bout the same thing here. :whistle:

When you say wick, I'm assuming the mesh bridge within the atomizer?

I believe the wick is there to protect the atomizer heating coil, the juice is actually being cooked on the mesh. I'd imagine if you remove that, you'll get the heating coil covered with burnt gunk and that might kill the atomizer or prevent it from heating up properly. I remember seeing images of a exposed heating coil from a 510 filled with crystallized juice (or was it filaments from the cartridge, not sure) the heating coiled burnt.

I'm no expert, so I wouldn't know.

When you say wick, I'm assuming the mesh bridge within the atomizer?

No, there are some stringy fibers attached to the bridge that go down and lay on the coil. He just lifted them out with a toothpick and pulled them off with a pair of tweezers.

Here's the vid.

Threads

If nothing else, the vid was somewhat educational about how atty's work.

Edited by Brian

No, there are some stringy fibers attached to the bridge that go down and lay on the coil. He just lifted them out with a toothpick and pulled them off with a pair of tweezers.

Here's the vid.

Threads

If nothing else, the vid was somewhat educational about how atty's work.

Oh wow, awesome vid. Disregard, my post, Brian. :)

Never saw these threads before... then again I have 901, only 1 901 had the same type of design shown in the video.

I have had attomizers apart and reassembled one ,actualy transplanted an element from one I crushed the connecter on but still worked before I crushed it into one that I broke the element by poking around in it.There is the pot in which the element is mounted and over that goes a stainless steel arch then over that the fiber wick you mentioned ,and over that the stainless steel mesh.I do not think there is anything to be gained by picking the fibers out you won't get the burnt taste unless you let it go dry.The element is a very fine wire and it will break very easy the bridge or arch protects the element.Some people remove the bridge so they can drip right on the element.I agree that it is best for the liquid to be in the mesh and get heated and vaporized from there.If the element gets too wet it cannot heat up to the proper temperature to vaporize the liquid,that is a flooded atty.

The point of the wick is to pull juice from the cart, it was Joye's way of trying to improve it's atomizers draw of liquid. It didn't seem to help much. You can remove the wick if you want but most people end up damaging the heating coil in the processes. It wouldn't benefit much either way. :)

I can't understand why every one is having so much trouble with carts.I load up a 302 cart and vape away when ever I try dripping it works for a while but eventualy I end up with liquid all over the place as it usually seeps through the air holes in the atty and runs out of the passthrough.

I did remove the thread like material in one atomizer when I had first started vaping. It was a mistake on my part, I thought it was filler from the cartridge. Because I was very careful, I did not damage the atomizer. The atomizer is still working today but I have not noticed any improvement in performance. I really do not recommend trying this. I just got lucky.

I finally saw the threads or wicks, I had my attys turned down ward to drain the juice and today when I lifted it to get it ready to vape, I noticed threads dripping down off the bridge. I thought it was cart filling that got stuck on the bridge, but when I pulled it out and it was like a burnt string, this had to be the thread/wick I heard about in this posting! So weird, how I happen upon this thread knowing nothing only to see this for myself now!

I had a couple of attys where the threads under the element were really visible and driving me nuts, Just made the atty look wrong and too fuzzy--removed them carefully and have not had any problem with atty's. no change in vapor production cart or dripping.

The threads I pulled out of the older atty, didn't really improve, if anything it just gave it a more odder taste, I'm guessing some threads seems to have lodged itself with the coil. The other 2, didn't seem to do any difference to vapor production, if anything, it was more of a weirder taste then before.

Somehow, about two weeks or so ago, my cartridge fiber got stuck and was burning on top of my 510 bridge. I grabbed a pair of needlenose-type tweesers and pulled the fiber off. In the process the mess covering the bridge got dislodged and the bridge was then bare. I continued to use the atty anyway, and it actually worked waaaay better than any of my other 510 attys! And still does, for that matter. I thought I had ruined the atty for sure, but it's working great.

Today after watching this video I got the same atty and pulled the fibers out from under the bridge; as shown in the video. They were harder to see since the atty isn't new, but I did not notice any difference in the performance of the atty. It continues to be the best one I have, so far, tho :>