Griffin Build Question

Edna

Hi All,

HELP! I got a Griffin. I gave one to my soon to be daughter in law and tried it and loved it so much I broke down and used points to get one.

I put in (2)  26AWG 7wrap 4mm dia. Nichrome coils and it reads 0.4ohms but it's spitting and gurgling at 26.5W but when I turn it up it starts tasting burnt. I watched a couple of videos on building it but something is amiss. It's not shorting and there are no visible hot spots, I made sure the cotton wasn't too tight and setting on top of the juice. It seems to be wicking well enough.

What did I do wrong or not do?  oh,  I'm using 70vg/30 pg juice.  I hope this is enough to go on.

Thanks

Hi All,

HELP! I got a Griffin. I gave one to my soon to be daughter in law and tried it and loved it so much I broke down and used points to get one.

I put in (2)  26AWG 7wrap 4mm dia. Nichrome coils and it reads 0.4ohms but it's spitting and gurgling at 26.5W but when I turn it up it starts tasting burnt. I watched a couple of videos on building it but something is amiss. It's not shorting and there are no visible hot spots, I made sure the cotton wasn't too tight and setting on top of the juice. It seems to be wicking well enough.

What did I do wrong or not do?  oh,  I'm using 70vg/30 pg juice.  I hope this is enough to go on.

Thanks

Hi Edna

eccae85f0703e9b2f4e94bce75d1faf5.jpg

This is my Griffin with a couple clapton coils..7 wraps of 24g x 30g kanthel on a 3mm bit..

(Another good build was 9 wraps of 24g Nichrome on the same 3mm bit)

However the Griff can be tricky to wick with any coil....

That said make sure your cotton goes behind the little ring into the juice channel ..as you can see I like mine about halfway down..Also make sure none of your cotton wicks do not cover any part of the air flow ports in the deck..this can cause spitback and possible flooding ...as far as type of cotton goes I've had good luck with both organic and cotton bacon..

Once my wicks are installed I prime them thoroughly before screwing down the chimney..And like I do with all new builds I start with a few pulls without hitting the fire button, then start low and slowly bump the wattage up to find my desired sweet spot..(takes a few hits sometimes to get rid of that new cotton taste)

Griffin is an awesome RTA when it's built correctly...feel free to PM me if you think I can help ..good luck! [emoji106]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

@smacksy

Thanks for your help! :)

It's not that I'm getting dry hits... I'm not so sure of my builds. I don't want to drop my ohms below a 0.3 so I'm trying to figure things out. Maybe in this tank I should switch to tiger coils. I can wrap those. I haven't made clapton's yet, but I do have some pre-mades. I'm more worried about the dual builds I usually only build single coils.

Suggestions ?

@smacksy

Thanks for your help! [emoji4]

It's not that I'm getting dry hits... I'm not so sure of my builds. I don't want to drop my ohms below a 0.3 so I'm trying to figure things out. Maybe in this tank I should switch to tiger coils. I can wrap those. I haven't made clapton's yet, but I do have some pre-mades. I'm more worried about the dual builds I usually only build single coils.

Suggestions ?

Hi again

Whatever coil you wrap just make sure your cotton is installed like in the pic..No dry hits, No gurgling and No flooding or leaks..I pulled that clapton build because it required a lot of wattage to really hit well and was a little too hot for me.

Now I have a simple 24g Nichrome build in it.. 9 wraps on a 3mn bit gives me 0.32 ohms for dual coils and been vaping great around 56w,840b6d1e00f9b7d5395a0172ad4fca46.jpg

I've vaped over 100ml of juice on this same build (24g) and the vape is still thick and flavorful..

Also try using a 3mm bit..its the best diameter I've found to work well..And I think 24g is the best size wire as I've tried both 26 and 22g...24g is just right for my simple builds with the Griffin ..keep us posted how it goes..[emoji4]

@smacksy

Thanks for your help! [emoji4]

Suggestions ?

No worries about dual coils..If you can wrap a single coil and install it you won't have any problems with duals..

Just keep in mind resistance splits with duals..in other words say a single coil reads 0.6 ohms dual coils would read 0.3 ohms..other than that dual coils are easy-peasy..and double your vaping pleasure :)

4 hours ago, Edna said:

I threw in (2) 0.4ohm prebuilt fused Clapton coils. They came out to 0.27ohms and I like it much better.

Now just to get the flavor dialed in and I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks @smacksy

Love me some Claptons, although they are a PITA to make until you get used to them.  I haven't used any prebuilt Claptons because I trust myself more than I trust buying prebuilt.  Case in point, those two coils were either a lot closer to .5 ohms each (most likely just over) or one coil was higher than the other, which can be bad.  Just out of curiosity @Edna, did you check each coil individually on a meter before vaping them?

1 hour ago, Adversarious1 said:

Love me some Claptons, although they are a PITA to make until you get used to them.  I haven't used any prebuilt Claptons because I trust myself more than I trust buying prebuilt.  Case in point, those two coils were either a lot closer to .5 ohms each (most likely just over) or one coil was higher than the other, which can be bad.  Just out of curiosity @Edna, did you check each coil individually on a meter before vaping them?

Yes, I did and they were right on the money. I fiddled with them to get rid of the hot spots and they're working fine. I switched the tank to a different mod and it came out at 2.1 I think it was because my istick's battery was low. It tastes SOOOOO good now :)

1 hour ago, smacksy said:

@Edna
2.1 ohms for dual Clapton's??
What mod are you using if you don't mind me asking..
To me 0.21ohms sounds about right...just curious, lol
Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

@smacksy

I  use 3 different mods, my eleaf 50W, 60W or my eleaf pico 75W and oops,  yes, I meant 0.21 ohms LOL