Best setup for single coil avocado 24 build

Dunc23

I'm clueless on what guage wire I need and the ohm and all that. Everyone is saying that 2.5 mm is the perfect size cause of wicking issues. What do they mean by 2.5? Also I see all different options like hive Clapton coil Clapton alien tiger please can someone tell me the exact wire I need that is 2.5 mm and stainless the rest I don't know what I need for single coil. Also I just want to buy premade and supposedly there is a new avocado 24 out that has bottom airflow that makes wicking and flavor better. Any info will help I know I have to buy a ohm reader and all that 

Greetings Dunc,

It looks like there are several things you need explained so I hope this helps you out.  I realize you are simply looking to buy premade coils, so I'll try not to go into too much theory and explanation on how to actually build coils.

First, let's take a look at gauge.  Gauge is one of the ways the thickness of wire is measured, although it can also be measure in millimeters or fractions of inches.  Gauge is typically the easiest to remember when first starting out with coils, though.  The lower the gauge, the thicker the wire.  Some common thicknesses or gauges are 20, 22, 24, 26 and 28, although there are gauges that are thicker (lower than 20 in numbering) and gauges that are much thinner (higher than 28 in numbering).  The gauge, or thickness, ultimately plays a role in how many wraps are needed for a coil to hit a desired ohm level.  

Now, while I said wire can also be measured in mm (or fractions of an inch), 2.5mm would be very thick wire and would not be used for vaping.  In this case, the 2.5mm refers to the inside diameter of the coil. Coils are typically wrapped around some sort of hard, round tool, such as a screwdriver, drill bit or a coil jig.  Common measurements are 2.5mm and 3mm, although I have seen coils as small as .5mm (I don't think I've seen any larger than 3mm).  The inside diameter also plays a role in the ohm rating of a coil.

As I'm sure you have already figured out, a Clapton coil is just a type of coil.  In it's most basic form, a Clapton coil is a piece of wire of one thickness used as a core with a another wire wrapped around it. Most often the wire that is wrapped is of a smaller diameter or higher gauge than the core.  Hive coils, Tiger Wire coils, Alien Claptons, Fused Claptons...the list goes on...are just variations of coils.  Basically, if you want to run a single coil on the new Avocado 24 (yes, it does exist) I would recommend starting with a basic Clapton (for instance a 24ga + 28ga 5 wrap single coil, which will probably get you in the neighborhood of .5 ohm.

As far as where to get premade Clapton coils, I can't make recommendations because I make my own.  They do exist, though.  

Last, yes...definitely get an ohm meter.  I never blindly fire even factory coils without checking them out on a meter to make sure they are actually close to what the claimed rating is.

I hope some of this helps.  If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.  If I don't chime in, I'm sure someone else will.

Dunc23,

You might want to try something like this that has a large variety of coils so you can experiment. What vapes well for me is going to be different for you since no two people vape exactly the same. You can order these online. I know you can get them here  I looked in the Vapor Talk Store but they don't have them, but @Christopher works very hard to get things forum members need or want. The VT store also offers free shipping so it's always a great place to look first.

Demon-Killer-Prebuilt-coil-kit-8-in-1.JPG

2 minutes ago, Christopher said:

FYI Thanks for the heads up on these. Will be here next week. Not hijacking thread... Carry on :)

Thanks @Christopher I've seen them but never bought one. I like plain old boring stainless coils. I had a couple of twisted coils given to me and learned to build them for fun but they get gunked up too quickly with the thick dark dessert flavors I love.

4 minutes ago, Edna said:

Thanks @Christopher I've seen them but never bought one. I like plain old boring stainless coils. I had a couple of twisted coils given to me and learned to build them for fun but they get gunked up too quickly with the thick dark dessert flavors I love.

I've played with various "fancy" coils as well, (twisted, claptons, fused claptons, helix, etc.), and have had hit and miss results.  For instance I have used a dual twisted 26g helixed with 30g that got gunked up fairly quickly one day, but the exact same set-up, including the same mod, atty, battery and coils built the exact same way vaped like a champ with the exact same juice a different time.  Theoretically the non-traditional coils are supposed to vape better no matter what type of juice you're using because with those coils you are increasing the surface area of the wire as well as creating additional "channels" for the juice to seep down into, thus permitting a more efficient vaporizing of the liquid.  Like I said, though, it always seems to be hit and miss.

I was thinking of trying the "flat" type wires, theoretically they would funnel the juice well I believe... but that's on hold until I have a paycheck coming in. Maybe the differences have to do with how tightly the outer wire is wrapped around the core as to how well it distributes the juice? (That's my story and I'm sticking to it anyway :)