American Made

Let me start with "If there is a truly American made atty out there, give me a link and I will promptly shut up". ok, with that said,...

Why the heck isn't there any American made attys anywhere? Come on, this country was once known for making everything the best. We have some great ( and not so great) American made battery mods which I will be getting as soon as I can afford to (most are around $100.00 just for unit and battery,no atty or adapters included). But somehow no American with the resources has made an atty yet that can beat these chinese pieces of junk? I find this hard to believe. Please correct me if I am wrong and one has been made available. Heck, I am no electronics engineer and I do not make enough money to do alot of experimentation with having things machined, but I myself have already started puting some R&D into this ( me being probably the least qualified one of us ). Am I mistaken or is this thing just a ceramic cup with a hole in the bottom with a wire coil in it that is filled with kevlar or some other flame resistant cloth like material to keep the coil saturated with e-juice and a couple small wires and a couple solder spots held inside a piece of machined brass with some metallic wick coming out to direct the e-juice to the internal coil material? How hard can this be to make when someone as inept as myself thinks they have a real shot at making one eventualy? And it would not even have to match up with current models for size since cartridges or direct drip mouthpieces can be VERY simply machined to fit it and adapters to fit current battery mods would be super simple too. Even I could CAD out a machining model given a little time and I have very little CAD experience ( took a 1 week course in college once ). So I put it to you my vaping brethren and sisteren(?) who have more skills and resources than I to make 1 of these things before I do! If I am the first American to make one of these (considering my VERY limited income and skills in this area), then I will see it as a very woefull day in America. You have been challenged and the race starts NOW!!!! (rant ended)

I have a pretty simple equation. Cheap Labor = Cheap Attys. Lol Ive been wondering this myself as well. Though i cant see an American made atty perform any better than a Chinese atty. Your right, the atty is very basic, anything thats going to out perform whats out now is a different design completely. ^_^

Well.... The real problem is that no western country can compete with the Chinese when in comes to mass production - they can and will chop the legs from under any US or European competition on price alone. To compete, my US friends, you would have to accept Chinese wages and working conditions...

Where the west can compete is on quality - but unless a really new atomiser technology appears where quality prices can apply we are going to have to buy our semi-disposable atomisers from China.

Edited by profbeard

I am refering to a quality atomizer that consistently lasts for at least 6 months, Now back to work :P

Edit: The design I am starting with to make it simpler on myself is going to be about 2x the size of the actual atty part we commonly see, but since it will be designed for battery mods and adapted down to current mouthpiece sizes there should be no issue with the larger size, allowing for larger more solid componentry.

Edited by DannyBoyfromWashington

Been wondering the same thing! However, I figure behind the scenes in some vape filled room, people like Chris and Parked are hard at work on it. I could be wrong, but won't be surprised if we see some competition in the next year or 2.

I'm thinking about getting a Juice box, it's made by a guy called carlos,he makes his own attys.I'm told they last 6 months and more, there is a video review on this forum.I'd post a link but, being the technopobic luddite that I am

I don't know how.

Add me to the list of people thinking about a new atty design. I think in the future, our e-cigs will be totally different. We will look back on these as "primative". I'm really not interested in starting another business this late in life but I would be willing to help out some of you entrepreneur types who still have the energy to work 24/7 on your "baby".

The atomizer, though it is the heart of the system, is really super simple. But it draws lots of current. There are plenty of other heating elements available other than a simple coil. Of course, they are also more costly.

So what's the advantage? Long lasting (how about a permanent atty?), low current drain (think of a 250mah battery lasting for 3 days without a recharge), and better heat transfer (ie. 3.7V vaping like 6V).

Get the idea? Of course they would have to be made in China to be cost effective but them's the breaks!

No one would buy them as they would be too expensive ,and who in thier right mind would start a factory to produce something that may get outlawed or regulated to death.Foreign goverenments subsidise industries to get currency flowing in ,US goverenments tax industries and regulate them until they have to go out of business or move to Mexico or China or India or yadayada you get the message.

Edited by mcquinn

What I believe an American version would be like, it would be a complete opposite, made to last and top notch quality. Would be nice to have 1 or 2 attys you can depend on that last more then a year.

What I'd like to see is:

1. Easily dissembled (For ease of use to be repaired)
  2. Can be easily cleaned
  3. Can take the coil and put it into a 901/801/510 housing

It's more of a wishlist, but who knows, one of you guys might be a genius. :)

Like I said , I am sure I am not the most qualified, but that did not stop me from tearing apart my step dad's vcr at 12 yrs old pulling out a bunch of useless junk and putting it back together working better :) ( I now have that vcr from 1985 and it still works great ) And I AM working on the atty, I am only in the very preliminary stages, but setting myself a realistic timeline of 6-8 months for the first few prototypes, then testing them for reliability and duration etc,.. and with luck a mass producable model within 1 1/2 - 2 yrs. Just found out my wife's father has a friend with a machine shop and is willing to help so this timeline may be shorter. Why am I talking about it? Because I am not in it to make a bunch of money, I want first and foremost to prove Americans can still make it better without costing alot more. I have already come up with a cost analysis putting production cost of my most hopefull model at $8.25 per unit making it prety easy to keep end user cost below my $20.00 mark for a 6 month guaranteed unit. And depending on testing after creating some prototypes, I have reason to believe that a 6 month guarantee will be cheesecake.

This is not some pipe dream folks. These estimates I have found to be VERY conservative when you consider that larger coil and solider componentry combined will easily produce more vapor in less time therefore you get the vapor you want with less operational hours being applied to the components which has the effect of increasing the overall timespan components will last without even considering any extra engineering in that department. Why am I talking about it ? (continued) Because I do not care if someone else beats me to the punch, if they do and it is within the price range and dependability range I am looking at then the problem is solved. If not, well I just continue making mine if only for personal use I consider it worth it, and if it catches on and I make a buck or two out of the deal eventualy, then hooray for me. And to those who say there is no point , it will be banned etc,... well,.. I believe before WE shut down sb400 those same people and more were already on the "give up wagon" about that, and negative or counterproductive thinking has never fixed a problem, but a "can do" attitude has nearly always triumphed. I appreciate any "constructive" criticizm but will never listen to "destructive" criticizm or "defeatizm". To succeed without adversity is no success. :end rant: Back to work! :)

(Edit) for those interested, some Ideas and info to get you started can be found HERE and THERE

Edited by DannyBoyfromWashington

I feel like an *** Danny I think my statement came out wrong :( What I meant was, there are those working on certain projects, but perhaps can't talk about those projects because so many suppliers are on the board. ;)

Don't missunderstand me, I am not refering to anyone in particular yet, I just know from experience that when a project starts up, naysayers pop up out of the woodwork and I fully understand what you were saying. I am just saying I am NOT a supplier and do not plan to be even if my atty project blows away my expectations. If it works as planned, then my plan is to send prototypes and engineering breakdowns to some of my favorite suppliers and let them do with it what they will :) I do not consider this MY baby but America's baby :) btw, you know the dremel passthrough mod? well the atty size I am starting with and most hopefull for is a perfect fit And no, I will not be using "potmetal" for the final product lol that is just a cheap way to have a bunch of starter diameter models to work with

you really want an american made atomizer? I can tell you where to get one. From my friend the Creator of the "Juicebox" PM me and i can get you the information. It has a usa made atomizer built into the unit. so there!

Jason

So someone DOES already have an american made atomizer? that can be adapted to fit other battery mods? and has a 6 month minimum warranty? and is less than $20.00? If so then it is time for me to shut up, relax, and buy some :) by "can be adapted to fit other battery mods" I mean that creating/using such an adapter would not void the warranty?

I feel like an *** Danny I think my statement came out wrong :( What I meant was, there are those working on certain projects, but perhaps can't talk about those projects because so many suppliers are on the board. ;)

Like the old saying goes... "I could tell you about it, but then I'd have to kill you." ;)

Like the old saying goes... "I could tell you about it, but then I'd have to kill you." ;)

I don't think he would have to kill us if he just said an atty is being worked on. He may have to cut off a pinky or something. I'm willing to lose a pinky for that info. Not my own of course.

Edited by Schizophretard

Good luck with your project ,I hope it works.My earlier post was a little negative but I still beleive I made some valid points.I was refering to full scale manufacturing you may be thinking on a smaller scale.

I am refering to a quality atomizer that consistently lasts for at least 6 months, Now back to work :P

Edit: The design I am starting with to make it simpler on myself is going to be about 2x the size of the actual atty part we commonly see, but since it will be designed for battery mods and adapted down to current mouthpiece sizes there should be no issue with the larger size, allowing for larger more solid componentry.

Carlos49 who makes the Juicebox from the other forums makes his own atty's and they have lasted over 6 months. The thing is though he only includes them with the Juicebox and doesnt sell them seperate.

Derek

The problem is there is a different business model for 5 or 6 a week in your garage than there is for hundreds a week with overheaad and employees who may not share your labor of love and are just trying to get a check.And if you have to secure financing for expansion things really change.I am not saying it cannot be done but I sure am not that ambitiouse any more.