Lasers

Jeffb

I was looking at different laser pointer sites. I did not know there was a whole sub-culture of people that are into lasers. There are some cool designs that look like they could be modified into a very cool PV.

Laser pointer Forum

Edited by jeffb

Thanks to the good old FDA, the maximum power that you can buy in the USA is 10mw. Thanks again to the jerks at the FDA. It looks like in Europe you can buy like 500mw continuous lasers. However, I tried to order one from dealextreme.com and they said no way would they ship to the USA. It would probably get confiscated anyway.

There is a cavate to this story, though. You can still buy laser diodes in some pretty serious wattages. So if you are inclined to "roll your own", more power to you (or to the laser). There is also another exception to the rule that might help with your laser-heated vape idea. As long as the laser is not external such as a DVD writer, etc. you can go as high as you wish. How cool would a laser powered PV be?

Yeah they limit the power of Laser pointers here in the US, but as Jmhester said you can build your own laser that gets around these limitations if you are so inclined. In theory I see no reason why it wouldn't work, my thought is however controlling temperature may become an issue. Not sure how you would achieve a consistent temperature without a fixed time limit the laser is on when heating the juice. Ultimately I think it would take a lot more power to make this work than the system we have now, we'd have to carry batteries on a belt clip to make this a mobile option.

Yeah they limit the power of Laser pointers here in the US, but as Jmhester said you can build your own laser that gets around these limitations if you are so inclined. In theory I see no reason why it wouldn't work, my thought is however controlling temperature may become an issue. Not sure how you would achieve a consistent temperature without a fixed time limit the laser is on when heating the juice. Ultimately I think it would take a lot more power to make this work than the system we have now, we'd have to carry batteries on a belt clip to make this a mobile option.

Batts on a belt Clip ! I freakin LOVE it !!! A whole new fashion industry for the industrial Vaper ! A Vaper Superhero ! VapeMan. New PV's , called LPV's, laser powered vaporers. Im goin back to bed. But, COOL ideas.

Batts on a belt Clip ! I freakin LOVE it !!! A whole new fashion industry for the industrial Vaper ! A Vaper Superhero ! VapeMan. New PV's , called LPV's, laser powered vaporers. Im goin back to bed. But, COOL ideas.

Dont we already have a DarthVapor here LOL........

There is certainly a number of ways to heat the juice to it's vaporization point which is about 55C or 130F. That's a summer day in Quatar!

The current draw on an 801 atomizer coil is almost a dead short with only 3 ohms of resistance, I would assume so that it will generate heat quickly. However, with any coil, it's going to eventually burn through and cause an open (dead atty).

What I've been thinking about is a piezo electric (quartz) heating unit. They are used in all kinds of heating elements. And then there is a ceramic heating elements. I would think that either of these would be much more reliable than a coil and the longevity would way offset the extra expense.

Dang! Now somebody is going to steal my idea! :(

There is certainly a number of ways to heat the juice to it's vaporization point which is about 55C or 130F. That's a summer day in Quatar!

The current draw on an 801 atomizer coil is almost a dead short with only 3 ohms of resistance, I would assume so that it will generate heat quickly. However, with any coil, it's going to eventually burn through and cause an open (dead atty).

What I've been thinking about is a piezo electric (quartz) heating unit. They are used in all kinds of heating elements. And then there is a ceramic heating elements. I would think that either of these would be much more reliable than a coil and the longevity would way offset the extra expense.

Dang! Now somebody is going to steal my idea! :(

Not if you make them first...LOL