Spade Problem!

Something is wrong with my Spade. Earlier at work my batteries lasted about 2 to 3 hours TOTAL. There was no throat hit and it was hard to get a vape. I had to use my 510 batteries. I thought it was the atty but since I came home I charged up my battery and I can still she a difference using a different atty then I used when I drained the batteries. If I put it on my 510 I can get myself to cough but on my Spade it is vaping colder and I have to hold the button down longer. I cleaned the battery connection out with tp because I thought maybe it isn't connecting well enough. The only imperfection I see on it is some of the gold paint on the battery connector is chipped off. I'm stressing out. Please help!!! :wtf2:

Sorry to hear about your situation Schizophretard. I noticed this is happening to mine as well. I haven't noticed how long the batteries are lasting though. And I don't know if it's an atty or battery problem yet as it just started happening today. The atty that came with the spade was working great for about a week, but then it clogged up. Guess I was over-dripping. I plan on cleaning it one day to unclog it. But for now I switched to an atty I got from some China supplier. Was working great the past couple days until today when I started experiencing what you're experiencing. When I get the money I plan on buying some attys from the VT Store to see if it makes a difference. For now I have to live with what I have and hope it doesn't get worse.

Where did you get your spade from and what atty were you using when this started happening to you? The original Janty atty that came with the spade or another one that came from another supplier?

I purchased mine from dietsmokes.com. I was using a Joye 510 atty. I switched back to the Dura atty after I charged my battery to see if it was the Joye atty. It isn't because if I use the Dura atty on my Spade it sucks but if I use it on my 510 it rocks. I'm scared that it is doing this from the gold paint chipped off on part of the Spade's battery connection. Maybe it isn't just gold paint but is metal.

If I put the Dura atty on my 510 and vape it for five seconds the whole time it enters my mouth warm and can make me cough. If I put it on my Spade it is colder and I have to hold the button down longer to cough. Right now I'm preferring my 510 over my Spade.

Edited by Schizophretard

Hmm Did you drop the unit at all? Not that it should matter. I would contact Parker and see about a repair. That doesn't sound like The Spade at all.

@Vegas I think you may have ordered from me, if you still have the same issue please create a ticket and let me know.

(Almost moving this post to the "help it broke" section)

Nothing more than falling over on my desk but that has rarely happened because I take good care of it. It falling over couldn't be the cause of the gold being chipped off because the atty covers the chip. Does the gold paint have metal in it? Could it not be conducting the electricity right?

Nothing more than falling over on my desk but that has rarely happened because I take good care of it. It falling over couldn't be the cause of the gold being chipped off because the atty covers the chip. Does the gold paint have metal in it? Could it not be conducting the electricity right?

The fitting is made of copper and the chip shouldn't cause any issues. Without looking at the unit it's hard to say what the problem could be. Try cleaning the contacts with some alcohol. Then take the cap off the bottom and gently rub the threads with an eraser to make sure the contacts and threads are all clean. If that still doesn't seem to solve the issue I suggest contacting Diet Smokes about perhaps sending the unit out for repair, I'm sure it's well within it's warranty period. :)

Christopher and everyone else,

I cleaned the contacts and it is working a little better. I need you all to do a little experiment for me, so I can see if you're getting similar results. Move your atty back and forth between your Spade and 510 battery. Do five second hits with your strongest tobacco flavor with them and tell me what differences you notice. I'm wondering if the different size air holes are effecting more than just air flow. Is the greater air flow in your Spade causing less of a throat hit?

Christopher and everyone else,

I cleaned the contacts and it is working a little better. I need you all to do a little experiment for me, so I can see if you're getting similar results. Move your atty back and forth between your Spade and 510 battery. Do five second hits with your strongest tobacco flavor with them and tell me what differences you notice. I'm wondering if the different size air holes are effecting more than just air flow. Is the greater air flow in your Spade causing less of a throat hit?

Schizo-

Let me send you another atty sounds like it could be a DUD !

I get way better throat hit on my spade then a i do a regular 510 battery and a XL battery

so you should be experiencing the same !

So i would feel better first if i sent you another atty

Thanks

Parked

I think it might be the batteries, as I've been having the same problem. My batteries are already shot I think, as I get maybe 1.5 hours out of one and maybe 30-45 minutes out of the other. I just ordered 6 more, so we'll see. My spade is hitting fine with the battery thats still getting 1.5 hours for a while, but dwindles fairly fast. I'm finding myself going back to my 510 batteries pretty often now.

Hmm Did you drop the unit at all? Not that it should matter. I would contact Parker and see about a repair. That doesn't sound like The Spade at all.

@Vegas I think you may have ordered from me, if you still have the same issue please create a ticket and let me know.

(Almost moving this post to the "help it broke" section)

Thanks Chris. I did order from you but I'm going to wait a little bit and do more testing on it. Like I said it just started happening yesterday so I don't want to jump the gun and put in a ticket if it's just something I'm doing wrong. I'm thinking it might be the attys I got from the China supplier. It's weird because they work great on the 510 batteries, but only so-so on the spade. The janty atty that came with the spade was kickin butt on the spade but I never tried it on the 510 batteries. I clogged it, so I can't do much more testing with it at the moment. Could there possibly be a compatibility issue with the attys and batteries as far as performance goes? I know that sounds weird, but just a thought. I want to buy extra attys from you, but it's going to have to wait. Damn holidays got me low on funds...lol. I'll keep you posted though.

Something is wrong with my Spade. Earlier at work my batteries lasted about 2 to 3 hours TOTAL.

That really leans me towards the batteries. I really hope it is, as like I said, I'm having the same problems and if it's not the batteries, I would have to lean towards a short of some kind draining the batteries quickly.

Batteries seem most likely especially considering there seems to be at least 3 of us with roughly the same problem, and the spade seems well built. I'm assuming these batteries are specially made considering they are the only protected 10440's that I know of. I'm hoping that we aren't finding the reason that there haven't been protected 10440's before now. :( Maybe we just got a bad batch or a few faulty pcb's are causing some problems?

Edited by Travis798

Hi everyone,

I have had a spade from someone that had similar problems for a day. After extensive testing I found the battery cap and

spring needed cleaning. Now it could of been the solution used to etch the spade on

the end that made it oxidize?

So remove spring and clean, use eraser on top and bottom

contact ends of spring. Believe me it makes a difference!

Now this should resolve the strength of a hit, but as far as the battery time it is not the device.

If the LED dims drastically when you turn it on, that would indicate a short or bad connection.

Best Regards,

Jeso

I wasn't going to say anything on the forum and have been taking care of this myself, but I feel like I have to say something now.

I had issues with my Spade from the moment I got it. My batteries were not lasting for more than an hour and 40 minutes from the first time I used it. I thought it was just me, so I tried everything I could think of. I kept close track of how long I was using it, how much I was vaping, how often, how much I was dripping, etc. I even put up a post to see how much others vaped to check if I was just a very heavy vaper.

Then I started comparing the Spade to my regular 510 batteries. I used them side by side, exactly the same number of drops and drags each, and my regular batteries were lasting longer than the ones in the Spade. I even charged the batteries in the charger that I got with my VP2 to make sure it wasn't a bad charger. Still got the same results. And the vaper was even better on the regular batteries. I tried several different attys to see if that was the problem, but even different attys didn't make a difference on the Spade. Chris was kind enough to send me new batteries to see if I just got some bad ones, but they were no better. When I tried them, I was only getting about 45 minutes to just about an hour. At that point I could safely say I liked my regular 510 much better than my Spade, but still felt there was a problem.

I contacted Jeso and he kindly agreed to take a look at it. I sent it in and just heard from him last night that he had recieved it and was checking it out, but hadn't found any problems. At that point I felt that it was just me, but I couldn't understand it. I'm having no problems with any of my other units. This morning I got a note from Jeso saying there was a problem with the spring, that it wasn't making good contact and that was draining the battery faster. He fixed it and will be sending it back to me. I am so relieved.

I'm only telling about this because it may be the problem with some of your units and I think it would be best for you to contact Jeso. In my opinion Jeso is wonderful and does a great job by his customers. I can not find any fault whatsoever with him and would have to give him a AAA+ in customer service.

This is an interesting thread. I have a "go to" battery that has worked excellent from day one. Great vapor and it lasts me all day at work. My other battery is OK but definately not as strong as my good one. Both of the batts my wife got with her Spade have been great, so I gave her my OK one (without her knowing :innocent: ) and now have two great ones. I agree with Jeso when he said its not the unit. Batteries are fickle.

Schizo-

Let me send you another atty sounds like it could be a DUD !

I get way better throat hit on my spade then a i do a regular 510 battery and a XL battery

so you should be experiencing the same !

So i would feel better first if i sent you another atty

Thanks

Parked

Maybe that's it. I used my 510 atty when the battery drained. Today both batteries are charged and I'm going to use my Dura atty. I'll let you all know how it does today. You don't have to send me another atty because I plan on buying some new ones soon anyway. Thanks for the offer though.

This is an interesting thread. I have a "go to" battery that has worked excellent from day one. Great vapor and it lasts me all day at work. My other battery is OK but definately not as strong as my good one. Both of the batts my wife got with her Spade have been great, so I gave her my OK one (without her knowing :innocent: ) and now have two great ones. I agree with Jeso when he said its not the unit. Batteries are fickle.

Similar situation here. One kick a$$ battery that's lasting 4-5 hours of pretty heavy vaping. The other one only lasts 2-3 hours and doesn't seem to have as much kick. I've noticed that the one with the shorter life seems to charge much faster than the other one. Maybe it's just not getting a full charge. Anyhow, I've got 2 more on the way for spares. I've got no complaints. I did have a concern about the atty leaking, but now that I've mastered the art of dripping I think that problem is gone... haven't had a leak in a few days now. :)

We will take a look into the batteries and see if this perhaps is the issue. I know personally I have not had any issue with my Spade at all. I usually get about 4 hours of use without any problems :D

With that said, cleaning the end cap with an eraser really seems to help, you may also want to do it to the bottom side of the battery as well. (I do this once a week to clean off any build up)

If those who purchased from the Vapor Talk Store still have issues please create a ticket by using the support link located towards to the top of the forum and we'll have the end cap/spring repaired if needed. :)

With my Dura atty it did much better. My Spade made it through work. I think I killed my 510 atty. Since the batteries are cheap I'm going to buy more to see if there is a difference. It seems that cleaning the Spade is important. What is this eraser talk? Do you mean get a pencil eraser and rub it on the threads or what? Thanks.

With my Dura atty it did much better. My Spade made it through work. I think I killed my 510 atty. Since the batteries are cheap I'm going to buy more to see if there is a difference. It seems that cleaning the Spade is important. What is this eraser talk? Do you mean get a pencil eraser and rub it on the threads or what? Thanks.

Yes a pencil eraser will work fine. Here's what you do.

1. Take of the cap and rub the eraser over the spring to clean any build up or possible oxidation.

2. Gently run the eraser around the threads of the cap and body threads.

3. Do the same to the bottom of the battery till it shines up a bit.

Put everything back together and vape. Should help quite a bit.

My spade seems to be working better after simply wiping off the spring and end cap with a dry cloth. Nothing looked dirty, maybe simply taking the spring out and putting it back in helped with contact? At any rate, I doubt that it helped battery life any, but we shall see.