Kanger RBA Ohm's and volts

Vic

I did a 28 gauge wire 7 wrap's and Im getting 1.4 ohm's at 14 watts and 4.5 volts. It hits hard and I'm loving it. Is this safe?? If I turn it up to 20 watts volts go up to 5.3 and Ohm's to 1.6. I found a drill bit that was 3.2 MM. and I didn't smash the coils together but they are pretty close.

Edited by Vic

1 minute ago, VaporTron said:

What batteries do you have? Or are they built in (li-po)?

Ohm's stay at 1.4, Battery is IMR18650 2600mAh3.7v

I don't see mine on there but others about the same it looks like im well below the danger point. Its hitting so good. My vent is leaking a hair so tomorrow I will rewick it. Thanks for sharing that. I might do a 6 wrap and get it down just a hair more. Why do people smash the coils together? Seems like with little gap's the juice can get into the cotten better.

Edited by Vic

The heat pulls the juice up the wick. So as long as the wick isnt too tight you will be ok. If you are making nano coils (smashing them together real closely) put your cotton under the coil, not through it. Check out youtube. Search "28g 1.2 ohm" or whatever you are looking for at youtube or w/e. A lot of great odeas on twitter and fb also. Good luck!

Try putting them together real close then strum the coil gently with a flathead to get little voids in between wraps

1 hour ago, Vic said:

I did a 28 gauge wire 7 wrap's and Im getting 1.4 ohm's at 14 watts and 4.5 volts. It hits hard and I'm loving it. Is this safe?? If I turn it up to 20 watts volts go up to 5.3 and Ohm's to 1.6. I found a drill bit that was 3.2 MM. and I didn't smash the coils together but they are pretty close.

If I remember right you have a Subox Mini, that mod will go 50 watts with a .3ohm coil so you are well within the limits of your mod. I use the same mod and tank, I use 28g kanthal with a 5/4 wrap on 3mm and get .9 - 1.0 ohm coil, that is my normal build set at 10 watts. Of course the juice makes a difference, on your wattage, I use a 30PG/70VG mix, at that wattage. Your watts will vary with your juice.

2 hours ago, Vic said:

With a Variable Wattage (Regulated) device the ohms of your atomizer makes no difference in the draw on your battery, only the watts you have the mod set to. (It is not like a mechanical mod)  To calculate how many amps is being drawn from your battery you have to take the watts and divide by the lowest cutoff voltage of your mod plus add about 10% for the inefficiency of the chip itself. So, at 50 watts max divided by 3.5 volts = 14.28 amps then add 10% and you get a max of 15.7 amps. This is totally maxing out your mod, but since you normally vape at 20 watts you are only pulling at the batteries lowest 6.3 amps from your battery.

With a mechanical mod, your amp draw is at it's highest when the battery is fresh, a variable wattage device is drawing the most from your battery when it is the lowest.

If you are a nerd, like me, and want to know why it works this way, here is a good link to explain why this happens Steam Engine Battery Drain go to the "How it works" link at the bottom left of the page.

Here is the most accurate, and up-to-date battery test grades on the web, his testing methods are the best I have found:

Mooch's Battery Safety Grades.pdf

On 12/8/2015 at 9:34 PM, FXRich said:

If I remember right you have a Subox Mini, that mod will go 50 watts with a .3ohm coil so you are well within the limits of your mod. I use the same mod and tank, I use 28g kanthal with a 5/4 wrap on 3mm and get .9 - 1.0 ohm coil, that is my normal build set at 10 watts. Of course the juice makes a difference, on your wattage, I use a 30PG/70VG mix, at that wattage. Your watts will vary with your juice.

I cut the cotton down tho and vent is leaking a little, With the coils that come with the Kanger RBA I was getting a bad taste at times and just had a lot of problems. I think I need the use more cotton as the taste is real strong. Im thinking more cotton will cut down on the juice flowing in. Don't want to crank it up to much and have it in the danger zone. at 22 watts I'm at 5.4 volts. 

I cut the watts down to 13 today as if I hit my mod a few times in a short period it started tasting funny, Like right on the verge of burning the wick. Its like a different taste with the RBA and making a wire coil. When set right its just a nice taste without being to strong. I might try a 5 wind at 30 mm and see what that does. I only stuck my fingers 3 times putting the wire in and bled. LOL Thanks for all the help.

17 minutes ago, FXRich said:

If you get the cotton too tight it won't wick very good, if you get it too loose it will leak. Takes a lot of trial and error to get it just right. Once you figure it out the rewicking goes pretty easy. 

I don't know if it is just me, but I have been using the "chunky wicking" technique that became popular on another site, in the sub-tank mini thread.  I make a 3mm coil, and gingerly thread 6mm+ of Japanese cotton into it.  It is so tight it will distorts a coil a bit, and you have to spread the coils out (non contact).  I then thin the ends by about 50%.  It really seems to be nearly foolproof.  I have vaped 80/20 and never had trouble, in fact it seems to work better than a looser fit (through the coil), for me.  Is this strange?  I have seen other posts with people having more trouble with the cotton too tight, but for me it seems to work the opposite.  I get nearly no popping, and no leaking.

22 hours ago, jasonculp said:

I don't know if it is just me, but I have been using the "chunky wicking" technique that became popular on another site, in the sub-tank mini thread.  I make a 3mm coil, and gingerly thread 6mm+ of Japanese cotton into it.  It is so tight it will distorts a coil a bit, and you have to spread the coils out (non contact).  I then thin the ends by about 50%.  It really seems to be nearly foolproof.  I have vaped 80/20 and never had trouble, in fact it seems to work better than a looser fit (through the coil), for me.  Is this strange?  I have seen other posts with people having more trouble with the cotton too tight, but for me it seems to work the opposite.  I get nearly no popping, and no leaking.

I wick holding the case up so the coil and the side holes line up with the coil and put it through the whole works Then cut cotton up to the housing with it sticking out both sides an 1/8 inch and feather it out. I have 2 mods with the kanger rba and one hits perfect, The other I used less cotton and get a hot juice hit once in a while. I took the tank of and moved cotton around a little by the holes and its fine now. On my 4th day with both so I hope I only have to rewick both on the weekends. I use 2 so I can have a couple different flavors through the day. 

I tried a tight fitting wick a couple of times but seem to get a burnt taste after 2 or 3 hits. Right now I use watts but once my TC mod gets here I will probably try a tighter wick with TC maybe that might make a difference. Right now I use a snug fit. That pre order Kanger TC mod hasn't shipped yet so it will be a few weeks before I can try it. 

On 12/11/2015 at 8:39 PM, FXRich said:

I tried a tight fitting wick a couple of times but seem to get a burnt taste after 2 or 3 hits. Right now I use watts but once my TC mod gets here I will probably try a tighter wick with TC maybe that might make a difference. Right now I use a snug fit. That pre order Kanger TC mod hasn't shipped yet so it will be a few weeks before I can try it. 

If I get the burnt taste after some hits I found turning down the wattage helps me from getting them. I'm down to 11 watts on one mod and could turn it up since I wicked it yesterday I think and my other Im at 13. With the 3mm 7 wind coil it seems like I cant go high on the wattage.

With my Ti (.35-.45 ohm)build on the NEBOX, which is very simular to the build I use in the Cthulhu, I set it at 400F and 40 watts, but it seems to settle at 18-20watts while I am vaping it on the NEBOX.  My D2 and VTC mini I have to set to Max (580+) on the Temp and 30watts/joules and it seems to settle in the 20 - 25 watt/joule range while I am vaping it.  I think the curves on the VTC and D2 are not as hot as they should be.

What I am trying to get to with that rambling explanation is that I guess I require a bit more wicking due to the higher wattages I am running.  The factory coils on the NEBOX (SSOCC Ni200 .15 ohm coils) require nearly the same wattage, but seem to be a bit cooler vape and don't completely  vaporize the liquid, but wick lick a beast!  I have not used the standard (wattage) coils.

When that Sampan from China gets here I will try TC, I have a IR temp sensor so hopefully I can check the actual temp that the coil is running at. I'm also looking at the new Kanger 120w, and the 200w mods. supposedly they are good for Ti, Ni, SS, and NiCR in TC mode, They are due out in January. I don't think I'll need 120 watts much less 200 watts. Being that they use dual  18650 batteries they are a bit larger than I want, but will make a good at home Mod.

5 hours ago, FXRich said:

... supposedly they are good for Ti, Ni, SS, and NiCR in TC mode, They are due out in January. I don't think I'll need 120 watts much less 200 watts. Being that they use dual  18650 batteries they are a bit larger than I want, but will make a good at home Mod.

I have seen this.  It is interesting, because I though NiCR did not have enough coefficient of resistance to use TC, but maybe they figured it out (I hope so!).  I am enjoying Ti for now, but would really like to try SS.  I currently don't have a mod with a SS mode.  I may have to do some shopping during the holidays.  The Wismec Reuleaux DNA 200 looks pretty promising.  It is a bit large, but I really like that it has the replaceable 18650's  There is nothing wrong with LiPo, I just like to be able to carry extra batteries and swap them as needed.

32 minutes ago, FXRich said:

The first TC mod by Kanger didn't turn out very well, maybe they will do better with the next. I have a Subox mini platinum coming hope it don't have the same chip as the NEBOX, but it might.

It might, but as much as you tinker with things, you will figure it out.  It isn't horrible, it is just not a good board for a beginner, which you are not.  It may have been revamped as many problems as they have had.  If you get it locked in, it works ok.

I was hoping it would have a SS mode for TC, but if it don't I can live with that. The preorder didn't say much more than 60w TC which is exactly what the NEBOX has. $46.00 isn't that bad of a price for a 60w TC mod with or without SS TC mode. Just wish it would get here sooner, haven't got a tracking number yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I cut my 30mm winding from 7 down to 5 and Ohm's are 1.2 on both of my 50 watt mods. Im able to turn watts up to 14 to 15 and Im getting good hits. My cinnamon after 1 day started giving me hot sparks in my throat so I just took the top off of the RBA and moved the cotton around and its been going good for 4 days. Think I will cut my coil wind to 4 so my ohm's might be around 1.0 then maybe I can go up a little with watts or since everything is going good should I just stick with the 5 wind. I guess Im looking for a little bigger hit. I have been making my own juice and was at 50 50 but last flavors I've made is at 70 pg 30 Vg. seems to work better with the cinnamon flavors. I just redit my cotton thats been going since last Friday and its Sat. and it still looked like it could have gone another week. I just did a 28 4 wind and Ohm's is at .90 on both mod's. I turned the watt's up to 17 on both and the hits are SUPER! Did I say Ive been Nicotine free for two weeks. I beat the cigarettes!!

Congratulations on beating the nic, Sounds like the build I was using until I went with 28g SS316L wire for coils. Now with a 5/4 wrap I get 0.5 ohms. Seems to work better for me, but everybody is different.

1 hour ago, FXRich said:

Congratulations on beating the nic, Sounds like the build I was using until I went with 28g SS316L wire for coils. Now with a 5/4 wrap I get 0.5 ohms. Seems to work better for me, but everybody is different.

5/4 wrap? What wattage? I just want the biggest hit I can get with 50 watts.

Edited by Vic

I only run 10 - 12 watts with my setup, I'm not much of a cloud chaser but I can fog up a room pretty good. I only used 50 watts once and got a big hit of burnt cotton, haven't tried it since. I tried SS last month and now I use nothing but SS for coils, except in my KPT tanks. Its easier to work with and gives a cleaner taste than Kanthal. The only time I can see using 50 watts is when multiple coils are used, the more coils you have the more wattage you need, that's just my opinion, and other people may disagree with me. I have never tried a Clapton coil, and they will probably use more power too.