Tobacco Ingredients

Celtic

Hi,

I am new to the forum thanks to my mother JJinLasVegas! I am smoking both tobacco and e-cigarettes at the moment and hope to soon only use e-cigarettes.

I am currently enrolled in a journalism class and doing my Final Paper on e-cigarettes titled, "E-Cigarettes Vs. Tobacco Cigarettes" that will be submitted to 2 of our schools publications and cannot find a crediable website specifiying the ingredients in a tobacco cigarette. I am finding sites that give a few ingredients but not even close the 10 of the 4000 ingredients a cigarette has in them.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it so very much! Please excuse any spelling errors.

Thanks, Celtic

Welcome Celtic, and dont worry bout the analogs, you go at your own pace. Here is a link I found with 599 ingredients. I would think for a research paper, that would be enough to get the point across.

http://www.quitsmokingcounter.com/blog/2008/06/17/list-of-599-ingredients-and-additives-in-a-cigarette/

Hope this helps !

599 ingredients! Good grief - I never knew. Actually, I've probably heard that before, but chose to tune it out. :thumbsdown:

Welcome Celtic! Will you be sharing your paper with us when it's done? I'm sure we'd all love to read it (no pressure). :)

Hi,

I am new to the forum thanks to my mother JJinLasVegas! I am smoking both tobacco and e-cigarettes at the moment and hope to soon only use e-cigarettes.

I am currently enrolled in a journalism class and doing my Final Paper on e-cigarettes titled, "E-Cigarettes Vs. Tobacco Cigarettes" that will be submitted to 2 of our schools publications and cannot find a crediable website specifiying the ingredients in a tobacco cigarette. I am finding sites that give a few ingredients but not even close the 10 of the 4000 ingredients a cigarette has in them.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it so very much! Please excuse any spelling errors.

Thanks, Celtic

It's a journalism class and it will appear in the school paper for Copper Mountain College....which means college students will get the information, so that's a plus. Some of the information that appears in this article may include some opinions from these threads (no names mentioned, of course)....well, except maybe mine, which I have given my approval. Anyway, welcome to the forum! Your brother-in-law is here and I'm sure you'll hear from him soon, lol........ Mom

Here is a list that I created a while back during the ecig Diethylene glycol scare

http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/index.php?/topic/981-diethylene-glycol/page__fromsearch__1

Does the store "Vapor Talk" have a list of ingredients that is found in there juice... I saw the list you provided through the link but was not sure if these are the ingredients Vapor Talk uses.

Thank you all for your help ... I so appreciate it... My report is due Friday so any helpful links to site would be great!!

Does the store "Vapor Talk" have a list of ingredients that is found in there juice... I saw the list you provided through the link but was not sure if these are the ingredients Vapor Talk uses.

Thank you all for your help ... I so appreciate it... My report is due Friday so any helpful links to site would be great!!

Did Chris ever answer this question? I'm kinda curious also :> Thanks!

Our liquid (like most e liquid) contains the following

TOBACCO ABSOLUTE,BURLEY 14% NATURAL FROM TOBACCO

2 ORIENT TOBACCO ABSOLUTE 12% NATURAL FROM TOBACCO

3 NICOTINE 0.8%

4 2,5-DIMETHYLPYRAZINE 0.1%

5 2-ACETYLPYRAZINE 0.2%

6 LINAL0OL 0.5%

7 VANILLA EXTRACT 4.4%

8 PROPYLENE GLYCOL 68%

3 NICOTINE 0.8%

5 2-ACETYLPYRAZINE 0.2%

6 LINAL0OL 0.5%

7 VANILLA EXTRACT 4.4%

8 PROPYLENE GLYCOL 68%

& 1 part love. :rofl: God that was corny. I'm sorry :)

Edited by jeffb

599 ingredients! Good grief - I never knew. Actually, I've probably heard that before, but chose to tune it out. :thumbsdown:

Welcome Celtic! Will you be sharing your paper with us when it's done? I'm sure we'd all love to read it (no pressure). :)

Sure I can share the story with you... I will have it back on Friday ... it was created for a final.... Thanks

3 NICOTINE 0.8%

5 2-ACETYLPYRAZINE 0.2%

6 LINAL0OL 0.5%

7 VANILLA EXTRACT 4.4%

8 PROPYLENE GLYCOL 68%

Thank you very much Christopher!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay here is my paper .... I received an A .... It was a Hourglass format for my journalism class "News Reporting and Writing"

E-cigarettes Vs. Tobacco Cigarettes

By: Antoinette De Alba

Margaret McKlem, a Yucca Valley resident, proudly proclaimed, "I have smoked cigarettes for forty-six years and have never been able to quit for even a day until I got my first e-cigarette. I am now smoke free for seven days."

Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarette) are battery-powered cigarette look alike electronic devices, that when the user sucks on the mouthpiece it produces a puff of vapor (resembling smoke), which also replicates the hand-to-mouth action of smoking cigarettes.

It is widely acknowledged, tobacco cigarettes have forty-three cancer causing compounds and over four thousand chemicals, which include nicotine, tar, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT (synthetic pesticide). Ingredients commonly found in e-cigarette juice are nicotine (different levels available), dimethylpyrazine, acetylpyrazine, linalool, propylene glycol (creates the vapor), and flavor, none which cause cancer or disease.

"These electronic smoking products are being marketed to America right now and they are being promoted as safe alternatives to smoking, safer alternatives, but we don't know that. We don't know whether there's any impurities that could be dangerous, we don't know where they deliver the nicotine and what the effect might be on the body, there is a tremendous amount of unknowns associated with these products," expressed Dr. Janet Woodcock, the director of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

The FDA is concerned the e-cigarette contains harmful toxins and carcinogens, which are found in Nicorette gum approved by the FDA, and propylene glycol, which was studied in 1946 and shown it had no affects on human beings.

"Propylene glycol is the inert chemical that passes in and out of the human body without being unchanged, and with no affects. It had no effect on human beings," explained Dr. David Baron, a Board Certified Physician and Chief of Staff at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).

The FDA also showed concern for availability of e-cigarettes to young teenagers because they are sold on the internet and in malls, tobacco cigarettes are sold on the internet, gas stations, and in grocery stores teenagers also have access to.

In 2008, studies from National Institute on Drug Abuse showed 7 percent of 8th graders, 12 percent of 10th graders, and 20 percent of 12th graders had used tobacco cigarettes at least once in thirty days previously before the survey.

"If I caught my teenagers smoking a tobacco cigarette, I would stick an e-cigarette in their hand instead," McKlem explained it would be a healthier option instead of 4000 ingredients in a tobacco cigarette.

There is speculation on the internet in e-cigarette communities, that the FDA is secretly concerned about regulating the tax on the e-cigarette, and the tax loss that would occur from people alternating to e-cigarettes. There is no proof of the speculations. There have also not been any reported deaths or harmful effects from the e-cigarette since the release in 2003.

William T. Godshall, Executive Director of Smokefree Pennsylvania wrote, “Smokefree Pennsylvania strongly urges the FDA to consider the enormous public health disaster the agency would create by banning electronic cigarettes. Denying 45 million (tobacco) cigarette smokers access to this exponentially less hazardous alternative would result in millions of preventable deaths among smokers and millions of nonsmokers continuing to be exposed to tobacco smoke pollution. It is absurd to even contemplate protecting the deadliest nicotine products (tobacco cigarettes) from market competition by these less hazardous nicotine products.”

For more information, please contact: Antoinette De Alba at celtic@celticsweb.com, The Electronic Cigarette Association (ECA) at www. ecassoc.org, The Vapor Talk Forum at www.vaportalk.com/forum, and FDA at www.fda.gov

Edited by Celtic