Ideas For The Blind?

As I mentioned on a couple of other posts my Dad is 81 years old and practically blind and very hard of hearing, almost deaf. He has smoked cigarettes since he was 9 years old and just yesterday asked me to go ahead and order him a 510 (menthol). He is on a fixed income and although he buys analogs at a far reduced price I would like him to see that if he switches to vapeing he will save $$$ (he realizes the health benefit). Because of his long term habit I don't think he will be able to get by with cartridges only but I am looking for options for re-stuffing cartridges. However, I'm pretty sure he will prefer direct dripping.

My question is: Does anyone have any ideas for a sight impared person to easily direct drip without getting juice everywhere?

Best bet for him would be to stick with pre-filled carts. Does he have anyone around to help him refill carts when they are empty? My advice it to load 5-6 of them for him for a day, maybe if you have the time stock him up enough for a week ;)

I think its a great idea for him to switch to e-cigs! He is going to love it im sure!

I pretty much have a feel for how much juice i drip nowadays though. When i watch a movie sometimes i notice myself not even paying attention to how many drops i drip onto my atty but turns out to be just right. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sinikal

Hi jj. I can't believe grandpa actually is interested. Thats so awesome!!! I believe there is a unit out there that will hold a bottle of juice (juicebox maybe?) I know someone will have more info than me. That would be the way to go for him.

Interesting question... my immediate reaction is just find a bottle that somehow fits the open end of the atomizer snugly and centers the drops to hit the wick. Problem there is you won't be able to see how many drops you have put on it. Maybe a small bottle dropper (the ones with the small rubber squeezer at the top) so each squeeze is a fairly accurate predetermined amount, then find something that fits around it to center it on the open end of the atomizer and holds it steady. Might be a nice contraption for driving and dripping too.

I wouldn't be so sure about him wanting to direct drip. I tried it for a few weeks and decided it was too big a hassle to do it and switched to carts that I fill w/ my own juice. AND if he's blind, it will make DD much more of a hassle

As I mentioned on a couple of other posts my Dad is 81 years old and practically blind and very hard of hearing, almost deaf. He has smoked cigarettes since he was 9 years old and just yesterday asked me to go ahead and order him a 510 (menthol). He is on a fixed income and although he buys analogs at a far reduced price I would like him to see that if he switches to vapeing he will save $$$ (he realizes the health benefit). Because of his long term habit I don't think he will be able to get by with cartridges only but I am looking for options for re-stuffing cartridges. However, I'm pretty sure he will prefer direct dripping.

My question is: Does anyone have any ideas for a sight impared person to easily direct drip without getting juice everywhere?

To be honest I don't think direct dripping would be a good idea for him. The best route would be a cartomizer model. (KR Series) That way when the vapor runs low, he can remove the cart and chuck it, then add another. The light should be bright enough for him to see when the battery is active. It's not as cheap, but it's better than nothing :)

The mind can do amazing things to compensate for any loss of any sensations.

I think that if your dad had several filled blunt 5ml syringes, he could learn how far to press in the plunger, for the amount of juice he needs. Wither it is carts or direct drip.

At first, he may very well, want/need to place the device upside down, to drain any excess, before he uses it. – In time, I bet he can fill his own syringes.

I would recommend that he have one draining, while using the other.

It will not be cheaper until he is set-up and succeeds.

My heart goes out to him and am willing to donate for his crusade.

wild rusty a t yahoo dot com I will paypal you $5, with no questions asked.

I have two vapers family/friends that have very poor eyesight, one with a detached retina, and one with new bifocals. It pains me to watch them try to top-off a cart. - Both get it all over their fingers at best.

This does need to be addressed better, for them.

I've been thinking of a contraption to help drip myself. I've been blind before, thank god I've gotten most of my sight back. I still have a little trouble with depth at times, and have been dripping all over the place. Tonight I found a technique to getting the drops in the atty with a 3ml bottle. I use my thumb and index to hold the bottle, and place my ring finger touching the atty. Then I put the bottle tip in the atty and raise it up to start dripping. Having a finger on the atty keeps the movement centered. As for how many drops, not sure. But I'm willing to bet he'll find a way.

To be honest I don't think direct dripping would be a good idea for him. The best route would be a cartomizer model. (KR Series) That way when the vapor runs low, he can remove the cart and chuck it, then add another. The light should be bright enough for him to see when the battery is active. It's not as cheap, but it's better than nothing :)

I agree I like my KR and its easy.....

If you put a cart cover over the LED end of the battery you can really see it too..

All the carts are color coded for easy ID of flavor types also...

I remember That Guy with the fedora did a review of a thing called an E dobit,you just touch it to the atty and it applys the right amount of juice.

Also saw a review on a PV called the juice box.it holds a bottle of juice and you push a button to make it drip on the atty.

good luck with your search, I hope you can figure something out.

The mind can do amazing things to compensate for any loss of any sensations.

I think that if your dad had several filled blunt 5ml syringes, he could learn how far to press in the plunger, for the amount of juice he needs. Wither it is carts or direct drip.

At first, he may very well, want/need to place the device upside down, to drain any excess, before he uses it. – In time, I bet he can fill his own syringes.

I would recommend that he have one draining, while using the other.

It will not be cheaper until he is set-up and succeeds.

My heart goes out to him and am willing to donate for his crusade.

wild rusty a t yahoo dot com I will paypal you $5, with no questions asked.

I have two vapers family/friends that have very poor eyesight, one with a detached retina, and one with new bifocals. It pains me to watch them try to top-off a cart. - Both get it all over their fingers at best.

This does need to be addressed better, for them.

Thanks Rusty for the offer, I appreciate that. Although Dad is on a fixed income, he is a retired school teacher so his income is sufficient. I just wanted him to realize a cost savings for switching to the e-cig as well as the health benefits. If it's easy for him to use he'll use it....if it's too difficult I'm afraid he'll give up and stick with his analogs. At his age, he'll just figure; "it's time to die, anyway"! BUT...if he can save money then that will make a difference to him. Does that make sense? lol

JC ePump

JC Bees

I have no ideal if they will help, but they might. You would have to purchase to find out, for sure.

The sales pitch sounds good. Don't they all.

Thanks everyone for all your ideas. My Dad's 510 should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I will see how he likes it and see if he thinks he will give up smoking or at least cut back. If so..then I will look into getting him a unit that will be easier for him to use. He can always give his 510 to my daughter, who has also recently started vapeing. I have saved all these suggestions and I'll let you know how he progresses.

It was mentioned that there are other people out there with vision issues and I too believe that should be addressed by suppliers/inventors, if at all possible. Thanks everyone

Edited by jjinlasvegas

JC ePump

JC Bees

I have no ideal if they will help, but they might. You would have to purchase to find out, for sure.

The sales pitch sounds good. Don't they all.

Has anyone actually used one of these JC e-pumps? I'd love to hear some comments as to people's personal experiences with them. On a side note, you can buy them in bulk from Freund Container and Supply dot com... http://www.freundcontainer.com/product.asp?pn=2342B11&ss=&bhcd2=1260806602 and the price per unit drops significantly. I think they have a small order fee the comes out to like $15 or something, but even with that fee you can pick them up by the dozen for less than $4 per unit.

Thanks for the link GDub

It was mentioned at another forum that T J Max sells the same bottle for $8.

Here is is a extremely useful tidbit:

10-28-2009, 02:25 AM by DC2

And I will also add that if you are dripping with your 510 model then you should seriously consider getting a 306 atomizer, which is compatible with your 510 battery, and DIP instead of drip.

No more worries about flooding.

And you can do it with one hand pretty easily.

And you don't even have to watch what you're doing.

When it's full of juice, it will stop taking any more up.

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mom! How's Grandpa doing with the vaping?? What's working for him??

Hey Mom! How's Grandpa doing with the vaping?? What's working for him??

Well...I'm extremely disappointed in him, to say the least. After deciding that he didn't like the Menthol and after I had him try about 3 other flavors; including my favorites, he quit trying. I made him about 4 cartridges and even direct dripped him with the same result. He says, "they all taste like sh*t". I explained to him that "taste" is not necessarily one of the benefits to which he replied, "at 81 years old, almost 82...what difference does it make to me whether I quit smoking or not?" So, he didn't really try and doesn't really want to quit smoking analogs.

For the past 4 days he has been asking me whether or not I have ordered him another case of cigarettes (which I haven't)(yet) and he's down to 2 cartons. I'm debating whether or not he should order his OWN cigarettes!!! Should I enable him? or not?

Bummer. It is a shame that he didn't put in more effort. He would have really enjoyed getting his sense of smell back. -- Oh well, vape is not for everyone, just 80-90% of all smokers.

I would not feel good suggesting this, so I will just state it as somthing that I observed. I know a non-smoker that bought an e-cig setup for his wife. She did not care for it, so they gave it to his mother in law to try. She did not care for it either. However, he explained that he could no longer afford to buy her cigarettes because of the new added taxes. He then told her that he would be glad to buy her all the e-cigs she needed because they are so much cheaper. I don't know all the details, but that was ~4 months ago. I know that she is a happy vaper now. It seemed very cruel at the time, but everyone is happier now. -- YMMV!

Of course, this is off topic if you are buying his ciggs with his money.

I remember when my Grandpa was 82. Seemed everyone wanted him to quit eating eggs because of his cholesterol. I was of a mind to let him do as he pleased. However, I was just a Grand-kid. I didn't get a vote. lol

Bummer. It is a shame that he didn't put in more effort. He would have really enjoyed getting his sense of smell back. -- Oh well, vape is not for everyone, just 80-90% of all smokers.

I would not feel good suggesting this, so I will just state it as somthing that I observed. I know a non-smoker that bought an e-cig setup for his wife. She did not care for it, so they gave it to his mother in law to try. She did not care for it either. However, he explained that he could no longer afford to buy her cigarettes because of the new added taxes. He then told her that he would be glad to buy her all the e-cigs she needed because they are so much cheaper. I don't know all the details, but that was ~4 months ago. I know that she is a happy vaper now. It seemed very cruel at the time, but everyone is happier now. -- YMMV!

Of course, this is off topic if you are buying his ciggs with his money.

I remember when my Grandpa was 82. Seemed everyone wanted him to quit eating eggs because of his cholesterol. I was of a mind to let him do as he pleased. However, I was just a Grand-kid. I didn't get a vote. lol

LOL..the funny thing is my Dad can afford to buy his own cigarettes BUT he does buy cigarettes for my sister (who cannot afford to buy her own). He gave her his JOYE510 and told her, "Here, learn how to use this"!, the last time she asked him for cigarettes. So, now she has no cigarettes and no money for them, but she has a nice 510 with some menthol juice and some really bad coffee juice that I didn't want, lolol. I guess I probably should break down and buy her some decent ejuice!

Too bad he stopped trying.... I actually am working on a mod that could've helped. It's basically a bottle of juice attached to a cart to easily top it off. It's in the mod section, Bummer.

Too bad he stopped trying.... I actually am working on a mod that could've helped. It's basically a bottle of juice attached to a cart to easily top it off. It's in the mod section, Bummer.

Please don't stop trying with that mod!!! I'm sure my Dad is not unique and there are other people out there with sight issues that would be extremely interested in it. Thank you for your work, I'm sure that in the long run it will be appreciated....and besides...I haven't quite given up completely on Dad :> I was supposed to order him a case of his favorite cartons of analogs last week..and OOOPS..I forgot to do that ]:)