Problem with nickel

mikethevaper

Currently I'm using a Joytech Evic VT and I had just tried my hand at nickel coils. I really had trouble but I found a video that you could twist kanthal and nickel. I did that with 24g kanthal and 30g nickel. I built a single coil at .16 ohms running it at 520F and at 60w. It still is temp controlled even with the kanthal but I get a very burnt taste. But it doesn't burn the cotton and you can run it very low on juice. There are no hot spots and the coils are spaced evenly. Does anybody have a fix for this? Or what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

If you're getting a burnt taste and your cotton isn't the culprit, then it has to be that your juice doesn't like the temperature that you've set for a limit. Try backing it down to 400°F and bring it up from there until it's warm enough for your taste but doesn't taste burnt.

BTW - Although it won't hurt anything, It's not necessary to set your wattage so high (60W) because as soon as your mod hits its temp limit, you should notice that it will start throttling your power back to maintain the temp limit.

Also, the reason that TC still works with twisted Kanthal A1 and nickel wire is because current travels the path of least resistance, which in this case is the nickel wire.

Edited by Rixter

If you're getting a burnt taste and your cotton isn't the culprit, then it has to be that your juice doesn't like the temperature that you've set for a limit. Try backing it down to 400°F and bring it up from there until it's warm enough for your taste but doesn't taste burnt.

BTW - Although it won't hurt anything, It's not necessary to set your wattage so high (60W) because as soon as your mod hits its temp limit, you should notice that it will start throttling your power back to maintain the temp limit.

Also, the reason that TC still works with twisted Kanthal A1 and nickel wire is because current travels the path of least resistance, which in this case is the nickel wire.

Thanks!! I'll try that! What's the wattage you would recommend?

I typically set my TC mod at 20 watts...it seems to hit my target temp pretty quickly when I'm set at 420°F. It won't hurt anything to up your wattage, but if you keep an eye on your screen, you'll notice that it drops your power back to below 20 watts pretty fast.