Battery Charger

shen_long86

hey guys i just got my 26650 cartel copper mech mod and i got 2 mnke 26650 imr batteries with it and an nitecore intellicharger i2.

my question is how long do these batts usually take to charge?

i put the batteries in the charger at 1 pm, so it has been about 5 1/2 hrs since i put them on charge and all 3 lights have stopped blinking and are solid yellow. does this mean that they are only half way charged? i did test one after the lights stopped flashing but it barely worked, so i am assuming they are not fully charged.

i apologize guys this is my very first mech mod and i am not used to having to charge batts this way, this is the only reason why i am asking...

-thx drake

As it charges, the lights blink, one light, then two, then three, when they're all solid, it's fully charged :)

For the initial charge of a new battery, I like to charge them, then pull them off the charger for about 4 hours, then put them back on the charger.

When you say "barely works", did you check it with a volt-meter to see if it was charged?

Edited by Earthling789

A mechanical mod @ 4.1V and 0.8 Ohms, is only 21W of power. I'm assuming you run your IPV-mini higher than that? If so, that would make the difference, because the mech cannot possibly produce more Wattage unless you lower the resistance of your atty.

Odd... perhaps you need to adjust your top-connector screw for a better/tighter connection?

Four Watts is not a lot of power, but in the scheme of overall power, 25W is 20% more power than the mech can produce, so that is a huge difference

Did you clean it well? Sometimes the excess machining oils and packing oil can cause huge Voltage drops when you fire it. One of the Brass mods I have did exactly that until I cleaned it top to bottom, inside and out... including all the threaded areas... After it was cleaned well, it worked beautifully.

If that is not the case, perhaps someone can give you an hand with adjusting it properly for optimal performance. The Cartel is a good looking mod, and should work as good as it looks :)

I've cleaned heavily oiled ones with a little dish-soap and warm water... just make sure to let all the parts dry WELL before you re-assemble it.

If it is just a little oily/dirty, a good metal polish and soft cloth will do just as well. Use a nail-brush or old toothbrush for the threaded areas and be sure to polish it to a high-shine. I also put a tiny bit of Vaseline on the threaded areas, especially on Copper mods, to prevent the parts from locking together. Copper is really bad for that!

Curious; when you shake it do you get battery rattle?

Also did you wind the top adjusting screw out and let your rda screw in all the way down then tighten your center post? i like to screw the center post back a bit tighten down the rda until i cant, back off the center post some more and tighten down the rda again, and finally tighten the center post back up. this way i know they are connecting.

By the way i also have a I2 charger and love it, works flawlessly. I was picking up a the D4, digital version of the I4, but where i was purchasing it it was out of stock so I went with the efest luc 4 charger.

Curious; when you shake it do you get battery rattle?

Also did you wind the top adjusting screw out and let your rda screw in all the way down then tighten your center post? i like to screw the center post back a bit tighten down the rda until i cant, back off the center post some more and tighten down the rda again, and finally tighten the center post back up. this way i know they are connecting.

Jake i did the adjustment so there isnt any battery rattle and i did adjust the 510 pin to for my rda...and it still wasnt working properly.

i put the batteries in the charger at 1 pm, so it has been about 5 1/2 hrs since i put them on charge and all 3 lights have stopped blinking and are solid yellow.

This is the thing that concerns me. I have never had any of mine do this. My I4 with go solid green when charged. I, like you, don't have a lot of experience so I could be wrong. I think possibly you got a bad batch of batteries, or some that have discharged too much, or the charger isn't charging them. A multimeter might help you narrow it down. (like Earthling789 said)

This is the thing that concerns me. I have never had any of mine do this. My I4 with go solid green when charged. I, like you, don't have a lot of experience so I could be wrong. I think possibly you got a bad batch of batteries, or some that have discharged too much, or the charger isn't charging them. A multimeter might help you narrow it down. (like Earthling789 said)

That is my same thoughts jason...but i did clean it last night and let it air dry...just reassembled and adjusted and it hits a little bit harder but not much...even with a new 0.6 ohm build on the deck.

Yep, something isn't right... fully charged, those batteries should push 4.1V minimum (closer to 4.2V) and @ 0.6 Ohms, that's 28-29W!

I'm leaning towards bad batteries... but you'll only know that if you can get a meter on them.

Cleaning your MOD should have minimized Voltage drop issues, and an all Copper Cartel should have negligible Voltage drop! Copper is an EXCELLENT conductor of electricity :)

Thinking back... 5.5 hours on the charger to reach full on the i2 power meter seems high too... even when I've drained mine to minimum levels, they charge fully within 3 hours on my i4 charger. That may be a good indication those batteries were drained too low (before you got them) and are now damaged, or the were a bad batch to begin with?