Where Is It?

jonnoh

Today, according to my counter, it's been 500 days since I started vaping full time. YO! Anyway I was staring wonderingly at the counter thinking I just don't believe I don't smoke anymore. 500 days ago, I wouldn't have thought that possible. I thought back to my first purchase of cigarettes on 20 November, 1964. I remember the date because it was my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary and they'd flown the entire family to Florida to celebrate. The old folks were doing their typical old folk stuff and I was totally bored so I snuck down to a pier in Ft. Lauderdale and spied a cig machine. Price? 35 cents. I casually walked by, and snuck in a quarter and continued walking, not wanting anyone to catch me. I strolled back and slipped in a dime and walked on. I turned back and pulled a lever. Out dropped a pack. I slipped it into my pants and ran back to the hotel. My choice? Kent. Why? because the label on the machine said "King Size" so I thought they would be bigger and I'd get a bigger bang for my 35cents. What do 12 year olds know. Sheesh! Anyway, on the big airliner back to Connecticut, with the piston engines belching blue flames, I was daydreaming about exactly which grove of trees I'd go to smoke them and who I would invite to share.

But back to the counter and today..... I also noted that my counter said I'd saved well over $10,000! Well that's not exactly honest because I enter the figures in Rinngit Malaysia which are worth about 3 to the US dollar. Cigs cost RM 13 here so a bit over $4, but that's still over $3000! So I looked in my wallet and guess what? no RM 10,000. So where did it all go? I've no bloody idea? I haven't changed anything else, my salary isn't any different, and I think I drink less beer, because since I stopped smoking, 1 beer seems to have the effect of 1.5 beers when I was smoking. So where's the money?

Any ideas? I was looking to buy a toy for myself to celebrate being smoke free and that US $3000 would make a great down payment on a beautiful 1964 Imperial LeBaron by Chrysler I've had my eye on lately but I can't find it. I've really only spent about 500 bucks on vaping stuff since I started, so it's not that.

So where's the money?

Any ideas?

I can't help much. I have not kept it down to the penny, but I have spent much more on vaping supplies than I have saved from not buying cigarettes. It is my fault. I have turned it into a hobby, and as everyone knows hobby=$$$. I also have not been quit nearly as long as you.

It doesn't seem like you have to have every new shiny thing that hits the market, like I do.

I have noticed something about myself in any financial situation. My spending always meets my available cash....eventually.

I have probably doubled my income on many different occasions in my life, and my spending always has caught up. Every year at tax time I look back and nearly get sick. My wife and I doubled our incomes in the past 10 years, but we have more debt than ever and less spending money than ever.

But just like smoking, it is hard to quit, even though I know it's bad for me!

spending habits!

Usually, NOT ALWAYS... but most of the time & from experience at the bank... Peoples salary goes up. Their spending goes up. outings, car payments, kids, etc.

Think of it this way: Instead of having 10000 more in your pockets, you spent that 10 000 on good times with family and friends along the years and permitted yourself certain things that might not of been possible while still smoking!

Not to mention the health benefits that litteraly have no price!

Edited by christov11

christov11, you are too kind. I really hate admitting it, but no, most of mine is stupid! I think it has a lot to do with my extremely addictive nature. I have owned outright my house for close to 20 years. We do have 1 car payment. All of the rest is consumer debt that seemed like a good idea at the time. My debt ratio is approaching 100 percent of annual income. I can't say no. I guess I should clarify that 20 percent of my debt is medical. My wife's knee surgery (with good insurance).

If I could only get addicted to thriftiness, or saving!

You are correct in the fact that it did create many good memories and fun times. I just am not sure it is worth the sleepless nights. (I am a worrier, I worry about having enough stuff to worry about!)

I thought yours looked a little high. I am just over 500 days and have saved roughly half what you have BUT that doesnt include my wife which doubles it.

I for one have definitely seen the savings. Very little has changed with regards to income and we doubled our Boat expense with our purchase in the spring but still have more in the bank than before. I do not micro manage it but can DEFINITELY feel the savings in my bank account. We were spending roughly $550 per month on analogs and now we spend less than $100 on vaping all things considered.

Carter, 550 per month!!!

WOW thats ... jeeez! Awesome though thats a load off your shoulders! weve got students paying that for the roof over their head!

& jason, I hope everthing is good with your wife, I see how medical expenses can come at any time and be quite disturbing in the states, ive heard too many times.
Although Im in the same boat, this is becoming a hobby more than anything. Ive definately spent more on vaping in the last few months as I would of on cigs, that being said... the mortgage is paying itself off so that money is nowhere near what I contribute to my vaping budget... i actualy have to redo my budget... havent done it since I had no mortgage, just been so busy I havent had time to think of it! we have an expression in french: cordonnier mal-chausser. meaning a shoemaker with bad shoes. (sounds weird in english haha) basically im a banker with bad spending habits. I blame it on summer haha but as soon as the budget is back up itll be golden... just have to make time for projections...

Carter, 550 per month!!!

WOW thats ... jeeez! Awesome though thats a load off your shoulders! weve got students paying that for the roof over their head!

& jason, I hope everthing is good with your wife, I see how medical expenses can come at any time and be quite disturbing in the states, ive heard too many times.

Although Im in the same boat, this is becoming a hobby more than anything. Ive definately spent more on vaping in the last few months as I would of on cigs, that being said... the mortgage is paying itself off so that money is nowhere near what I contribute to my vaping budget... i actualy have to redo my budget... havent done it since I had no mortgage, just been so busy I havent had time to think of it! we have an expression in french: cordonnier mal-chausser. meaning a shoemaker with bad shoes. (sounds weird in english haha) basically im a banker with bad spending habits. I blame it on summer haha but as soon as the budget is back up itll be golden... just have to make time for projections...

Yea my wife and I were buying a carton about every 3 days @ ~$55 with tax. Now my boat payment is $515 so my savings ALMOST makes that payment. I have a lot of debt too but am lucky my wife and I have very good jobs lol. If not we would be broke as a joke!

thats really cool though! I love that you found another, maybe as or a little more expensive hobby with the savings from quitting!

the boat wont be right away for me though haha with only 3-4 months of usable time in a year its a heck of a luxury!

If Im ever in tenesse Ill let you know haha!

thats really cool though! I love that you found another, maybe as or a little more expensive hobby with the savings from quitting!

the boat wont be right away for me though haha with only 3-4 months of usable time in a year its a heck of a luxury!

If Im ever in tenesse Ill let you know haha!

Come see me. I have had a boat forever but we really upgraded this year. 34' Sea Ray Sundancer with a Queen Bed and 2 Fulls, head, shower, central heat and air, generator and twin 454s. Bad boy! Of course I financed it for 12 years lol. Bad thing is there is a 41' Sundancer in our marina for sale and my wife is drooling. She is about to get a huge raise at work or change jobs (she has a great offer but her company has it in her contract they get to match) in the next couple months so what momma wants momma will get! We will boat year round though since the engine bilge and water tank are heated.

She sounds like a beauty, im drooling just to the thought of it!!!

p.s. boat not wife! haha although im sure your wife is lovely! im gonna quitbefore I go down a slippery sloap haha

A couple days on the water would definately be a good reason for a little cross border road trip with a few stops along the way!

She sounds like a beauty, im drooling just to the thought of it!!!

p.s. boat not wife! haha although im sure your wife is lovely! im gonna quitbefore I go down a slippery sloap haha

A couple days on the water would definately be a good reason for a little cross border road trip with a few stops along the way!

My wife is way hotter than the boat :-)

by the way sorry for hijacking the thread!!!

Jonnoh: All this to say that the money definately went into something good & worth while over the years! maybe moving forward you could litteraly save it by putting whatever you spent on cigs aside!

Hijacking is commonplace here, it will get back on track lol.

Hijack away! I thoroughly enjoy reading how everyone's spending their money. Jason, it's not become the I've gotta have all the new and shiny, but more like the reliable because I'd go back to cigs in a second if I didn't have the vape devices so far. I think I'm different than most here, because as soon as I see a group of smokers, I ingratiate myself so I can get the second hand smoke. I still love the smell. At airports where I probably could get away with vaping, I seek out the smoking lounge just to get the effect, even though I am only vaping in there causing some raised eyebrows :)

And, BCarter, your boat sounds awesome, and your possible newer boat even more awesome.

And, Christov, I guess I was forgetting the grand I put down on some acreage in New Brunswick for my old man holiday time in the wilderness where I too will become reacquainted with winter.

So thanks hijackers and all for the ideas and great tangents.

Christov11, I see you stay in Montreal. I was there in April, well actually only at the airport :) but I was returning to Hartford from Moncton, NB and while I was in Moncton, I looked for e cigs just to see what's there. I'd brought enough stuff with me from Malaysia to last a year, and I was only a month in North America. I was so disappointed at what I could find. I first went to Walmart which I'd heard was a place where at least you could see some samples of what's available. They had NOTHING! The suggest a supermarket around the corner, well, at least close by where they had a dedicated smoke shop where they sold ecigs. Again disappointment prevailed. They had some pen like devices, which although had flavour, seemed to have no nicotine. It wasn't mentioned on the product. They were throwaways and quite expensive. So to finally get to the point, where do you buy your products? Here I get juice from Italy, and electronics from China, but all through a broker in Sarawak on Borneo to avoid paying random direct import taxes. It's so far been very reliable, with next day delivery and consistent reasonable pricing.

Christov11, I see you stay in Montreal. I was there in April, well actually only at the airport :) but I was returning to Hartford from Moncton, NB and while I was in Moncton, I looked for e cigs just to see what's there. I'd brought enough stuff with me from Malaysia to last a year, and I was only a month in North America. I was so disappointed at what I could find. I first went to Walmart which I'd heard was a place where at least you could see some samples of what's available. They had NOTHING! The suggest a supermarket around the corner, well, at least close by where they had a dedicated smoke shop where they sold ecigs. Again disappointment prevailed. They had some pen like devices, which although had flavour, seemed to have no nicotine. It wasn't mentioned on the product. They were throwaways and quite expensive. So to finally get to the point, where do you buy your products? Here I get juice from Italy, and electronics from China, but all through a broker in Sarawak on Borneo to avoid paying random direct import taxes. It's so far been very reliable, with next day delivery and consistent reasonable pricing.

There sint ANYTHING at random stores... at least nothing worth buying. You have to find actual vape-shops here, they hold a variety of different devices and since the scene isnt huge yet they carry everything from the little ego batteries all the way to the rediculously priced authentic mods. for juice its an even biggere struggle since the canadian customs have trouble accepting importing e-juice. so there is always delays with orders etc. luckily the flavors i usualy vape are in stock at my local shop all the time and dont seem to be the more popular ones, so I can expect them to always have some.

If you were on the island of montreal then there are a few specialized vape-shops but honestly it isnt readily available like in walmart etc. at least not yet. if you were off the island, say on the north or south shore, then it would have been an even bigger struggle as Ive only heard of 2-3 on the south shore. there are probabl;y more on the north shore but I dont really go there at all.

let me know next time if youre here and ill help you find one close!

Christov, thanks for the reply. When I actually get to "The True North Strong and Free" to see my new land, I of course will need to find liquid and equipment. Montreal isn't so far if you like to drive!

• 1 month later...