The Noobie Choke

Speakeasy

I've noticed something on the forums here lately.

Several posts have mentioned coughing while vaping. jmHester wrote a topic about his wife not liking to vape because it made her cough. Keenan said the same thing. I'm mainly talking about beginners who have never vaped before coughing when trying to even take a short drag.

I remember getting my first e-cig. It was a super mini that looked exactly like an analog. I thought that was what I needed. I remember that first draw making me cough quit a bit. I immediately started compensating for that cough by exhaling briefly before I inhaled.

You know what I mean? I see a lot of vapers do it on youtube vids all the time. They like to open their mouths and let a little out before inhaling. It wasn't until just recently that I got to the point where I could without exhaling a little first.

Am I just an idiot or are there others out there that know what I'm sayin'?

I've since introduced vaping to people, and I frequently let them try it, and I see that cough almost every time. My liquid is 26mg or more, but even so. I try to tell people that it's different from smoking. You have draw on it longer and slower, but I wonder if I should teach them the "vapers exhale". Opinions?

I know what you are talking about.. just about everyone who I let take a draw for the first time coughed a bit at first... not sure what the deal is, because I think cigarette smoke is far more harsh.

Think about it from a scientific point of view...

cigarette smoking = contaminated AIR entering your lungs (you have to breathe air every day :))

vaping = heat generate WATER/LIQUID VAPOR entering your lungs (air + vapor)

I think the reason we all take a drag and a half off our e-cigs is we learned to give our lungs a little priming to get used to the vapor so that when we actually inhale it is not as much of a shock. I tell people who want to try mine that same thing and they hardly ever cough.

Your not crazy at all in fact EVERYONE I know that tries Vaping for the first time, especially if I give them a 510 or even better a VP unit they cough. I tell them to pull the vapor into the mouth, hold it for a second then pull it in. I let them know they should be able to breath freely through their nose while taking a slow drag. (Some people try to direct inhale)

I then tell him to push out fast just like a cigarette and they are normally golden. It's a bit of a learning curve but once they get passed it, they are normally good to go.

I have always drawn into my mouth first--pause--then inhale the vapor. Its the same way I smoked. Direct inhaling would make a world of difference. As a seasoned smoker/vaper--I still can't direct inhale without coughing.

I didn't even know there was an other way to smoke a cigarette/e-cig (direct inhale) until recently. The only time I have ever direct inhaled was in the old days.....

I have also read several reports of people having problems with the PG--they do better with VG. occasionally it is flavor/nicotine strength related.

Happy Vaping

I know when i started and still somtimes higher nic levels make me cough. and the 510 does it more than the 901. I still cant direct draw when i wake up I can after about the middle of the day. I also dont take 5 second drags until then. my throat just cant handle it

Edited by Gazoo

I know when i started and still somtimes higher nic levels make me cough. and the 510 does it more than the 901. I still cant direct draw when i wake up I can after about the middle of the day. I also dont take 5 second drags until then. my throat just cant handle it

Thats a very interesting point, as well. I too have that problem in the morning. However, I think frequent oral care, like gargling, does help this problem somewhat.

I wouldn't consider myself a newbie anymore, but I had the noobie choke last night... I've been vaping an automatic e-cig for a month. I ordered the Joye 510 from Arno to see what I was missing. I took a nice long hit from it and I just wasn't prepared for the vapor production. :dribble: It produced at least 25% more vapor than my RN8041(RN4081?) and the draw was so effortless. I hacked up a lung and had a big smile on my face.

Thats a very interesting point, as well. I too have that problem in the morning. However, I think frequent oral care, like gargling, does help this problem somewhat.

I think my biggest issue is not drinking enough water when i vape or at anyother time really. lol I have noticed listerine helps. I have always woken with a dry throat im not a mouth breather so i dont know.