Mod patina debate

So I was having a debate with a fellow vaper on the patina of his mechanical mod. Now I know that if done right there shouldn't be too much performance loss, but he was saying that a good patina on a mod increases it's value..... Does anyone agree or have proof to the accuracy of what he was saying?

To each their own. Some people like patina some people like polished. Im a fan of both. As far as the value goes, no I do not believe I've ever seen anyone pay more for a mod because of the patina. Patina's are fairly easy to do and inexpensive (assuming you're talking about forced patina)

However, on ebay and the like, people do try to charge more for a patina mod because its "customized," But in my opinion it would be stupid to pay extra for a patina.

In my experience, patina only affects the price of an antique... such as the patina on the brass hilt or steel of a Civil War era sword.... it serves to show the age. You wouldn't want to remove 150 years of "history" from it by shining it up and making it look like a brand-new reproduction.

Those selling chemically treated MODs, which have an accelerated patina, are probably charging extra for the chemicals and effort to force a patina on them? Personally, I know the chemicals used to force patina are not good for the metal, and can (in some cases) damage them permanently by etching the metal, causing pitting and permanent discoloration. Yes, that's worse-case, but if not done properly, degrees of damage can occur.

If you like patina, it's best to let it build-up and occur naturally... and natural patina is far easier to shine-up (remove) if you so choose.

I could see paying $10 or $15 more if the mod was coated after the process just to cover costs of supplies. But then you could never clean it off to a shine and show it off.

You can patina like 100 mods for $10-15 lol.

All i know is that i have a Manhattan Mod fully brushed brass and he wanted to em patina it and sell it for "twice what i paid" which i thought was crazy. 1. Why ruin an already excellent mod and 2. i didn't think for one second it would double the price of it. Thanks for the input lol some people are crazy