Noobie Question on Tank Cleaning

I've looked around the forum a bit, and didn't see anything on this. It's so basic, it seems like a dumb question.

I'm having to dump my tanks early to change juices while I'm getting things right. I don't even want to tell anyone how I'm cleaning them out. I'll leave it up to your imagination, but, no, I'm not spitting in them.

Can someone tell me a good way to properly clean before changing juices?

Thanks!

What kind of tanks?

For my Kanger tanks (which are all Pyrex tanks and SS bodies), a GOOD cleaning involves full disassembly, and a soak in hot soapy water (light scrub with a bottle brush), then a rinse in hot water... a soak in 91% IPA, rinse in hot water, and then a soak in near boiling hot water (not on the stove) until the water reaches a temp where I can dig out the parts without burning my fingers :)

For a quick cleaning... hot water rinse, IPA rinse/soak, and rinse/soak in near boiling water... let dry, assemble, use.

Coils can be soaked in Vodka, then rinsed in very hot water and allowed to dry ... which will remove "most" of the old flavor. You can use 91% IPA as a soak too, but rinse, rinse, rinse, soak and rinse again in hot water, then allow to dry for at least overnight, prefer 24 hours to remove all remnants of IPA.... you don't want to vape that :) which is why a lot of people use Vodka to clean/soak... safer to vape if you have some residue on the coils/wicks.

Now we're getting into the gear area, which is Greek to me right now. Being new, I'm just using a simple Kanger evod. I know how to take the atty (?, hope I got that terminology right) off the battery and how to take out the coil. I don't think the tank breaks down any farther, but I could be way wrong on that.

When things get a little messy, or I'm changing favors, I'll try your full cleaning routine --120 proof Vodka rather than IPA, I think. IPA's not nearly as bad as methanol, but it'll do the same job if you get enough. My eyesight's bad enough already, and I like my liver just the way it is.

Right now, since I'm just nailing down nicotine levels and not changing flavors, maybe a hot water rinse, Vodka rinse, and dry might do the trick? I was worried about what regular tap water might do to the coil.

You are correct... the standard EVOD tank only breaks down by removing the bottom ring and extracting the coil... but that is far enough for a cleaning. A good hot water rinse, Vodka rinse, and again with hot water (or let it soak for a few minutes) will do nicely for cleaning an EVOD.

Don't worry much about tap-water, because unless you're using Pharma-grade distilled and filtered water, there will always be trace minerals... but nothing I'd worry with... straight out of the tap works just fine for me :)

If you want to clean yer EVOD coils, they will break down farther than unscrewing them and soaking in water/vodka/grain, whatever, and change the flavor wick if you're willing to put the time 'n effort into it. I take them apart, clean them in unflavored denture cleaner, put them back together with a new flavor wick and vape some more with them. I have coils that have been around for months. I usually wait till I have about a dozen burnt coils before going through the process. It's not really worth the effort to do just a couple. It's not hard, just something I do in my "spare" time. That way, changing coils when changing flavors isn't such a big deal to also change the coil.

Edited by aufin

I use Aspire ET-S tanks and all I do is break them down and rinse with hot tap water then dry with paper towels and cotton swabs. When I bought our setups I went to ebay and got a 10 pack of coils for $12 shipped. and 2 more tanks for $6.75 each. I have 2 flavors I love for the moment. My wife is still sampling. I have 4 coils that have been soaking in some Grey Goose for 2 days because it seemed that they were down on performance. I'm going to pull them out and air dry for a few days to see if I can extend the life somewhat. Our local store started us on 50/50 pg/vg which shouldn't be too hard on the coils that and we never run voltages over 3,6. I have been eyeing my ultrasonic cleaner and maybe running a couple of older coils through with either more grain alcohol or denture tabs. Anyway sorry about the ramble. We haven't noticed any long term issues with flavors but then our tanks don't use wicks either.

Grey Goose? Wow, if I bought Grey Goose up here in good ole O-Sin-Tax-the-Heck-Out--of-Everything-hio, I'd be drinking it. Wouldn't be any left by the time I went to soak my tanks/coils, ROFL.

Do evods have a wick in there? Haven't had one in pieces yet to take a look, and I'm not one to just take a new one apart --might be some pieces left over after I reassemble. We have to know our limitations . . .

I don't keep alcohol in the house so I just clean my tanks with hot water a dawn dish liquid. Now my coils I do rinse with hot water then soak in rubbing alcohol over night. Then I soak in hot water a little while to get the alcohol out, then lay them out to dry for about 24 hours. When my coils are past the point of no return I send them to Comp so he can use them to rebuild them. Much better to recycle then to just through them away.

Your tank is similar to mine in construction and no wicks. I'm not sure if the mouthpiece unscrews or not I really couldn't tell. The bottle of goose I have is a gift from a couple of years back. I usually don't drink anything other than a cold beer here and there. Check you tube there's tons of video's, reviews and how to's

Thanks! I'll do that when I get ready to clean up a burnt one.

Patricia, I get pretty stubborn when I try to do something, but if I can't get an old one clean enough to get enough use out of it to justify the trouble, I'm with you. I'd rather give it to someone who can at least use it for spare parts than toss it.

One last word to TX before I leave this topic topic. Grey Goose is a top-shelf vodka. There are only a couple of reasons I can think of for gifting it:

1. You have a good friend who wants you to have the best.

2. You have a wealthy friend who wants to make a statement.

Either way, it's a shame to use it to clean coils, IMO.

Think about giving it to a friend who likes Vodka?

OK, mini-rant all done.

LOL no big. I only sacrificed a shot anyway and had one for myself while doing it. I picked up a pint of rot gut yesterday to continue my cleaning adventure. The goose is back in the dark for another time, and ya I have a real good friend that I got it from we've been there and back together and rode alot this country over the years and we never buy eachother a cheap bottle of anything it would be disrespectful of our frindship. Sorry bout the withdrawals I know they suck.