which mech mod should i look for?

Usually quality of materials and craftsmanship. I have a surefire king and it hits harder and has a much tighter build than my buddies vanilla copper authentic. But with surefire you get almost non-existent service. I would say subtract 100$ for that. There's a lot more to take into account. Watch some youtubes if you can't go to a shop that carries both to see for yourself.

my first mech mod was a cheap *** grand vapor sentinel m16 clone. telescoping mod but i only used 18650s and i have to say for a first mech mod that thing was badass. had only a .1 voltage drop, spring loaded adjustable contact at the top so every mod fit (even tho it was awkwardly shaped so nothing was "flush" per say) and it had the whole locking ring etc etc. if your gonna buy a mech mod for starting off get something cheap and easy because you may find that you prefer a mod that has safeties and adjustable stuff to customize your vaping experience. Hope you're happy with whatever you get and hope to see a picture of it when you do get it! vape on!!!