Building the right coil

bbrewer2005

OK, So I'm fairly new to vaping, but got bit by the mech mods and coil building pretty quick.

I've got a nemisis clone mod, and a stillare clone rda. Before I go any further, I want to point out that I'm very aware of ohms law, and the effects on batteries with very low ohm loads. With that being said, I'm using Sony US18650VTC4 batteries.

What I have now, is a dual coil setup thats clocking in .2 ohms 7/6 wrap 26ga kanthal with org cotton wick. These two coils came with this rda. Yes I'm keeping VERY close watch on these batteries, none have gotten even warm (except up top near the coils, from the coils themselves).

My problem is, These are producing a VERY hot vape to the point that I cant take more than a 1 sec draw, which burns my throat, and am not getting the vapor production that I want (until the battery starts to get low).

I know ohms law, and am pretty good with my hands and small objects (lets not get perverted here, lol). What I dont know, is what gauge, and how many wraps of what diameter I should be building these coils to get a certain resistance. I'm looking for a cool(er) vape, but doesnt have to be cold, and heavy vapor, if this is possible. If it helps, I take it straight to the lungs.

I know the best way is to start wrapping and testing, but I'm looking for a general idea to get me started.

I've got the basics. 28ga A1 kanthal, org cotton, 2mm silica, torch, 5/64th and 1/8th drill bits, and tweezers.

Anyone care to give me a hand?

Thanks to anyone kind enough to read this long winded post.

Do a search for coil builds, and check out the sub forum for rebuildables here too. Might help as well.

Now I feel like an idiot. I usually read the stickies before commenting on a new forum...heh

If an admin can move it over, I wont feel so bad. I apologize.

I missed that totally. Thanks again.

Dual coils at .2 ohms is naturally going to give you a very hot vape. As you're aware, the lower the ohms, the more heat output. You might want to think about higher resistance, it doesn't have to be too much. Also, are you lining up the air flow holes of your RDA with the coils when replacing the top? Air flow is very important. Not enough and you can get such a harsh, hot vape that it'll take your tonsils out.

Make sure the cotton is not in any way between the coil and the air holes. If it is, push it down a bit so the path is clear.

What PG/VG ratio is the juice you're using? You said in your previous post that you're into cloud chasing. Most people wanting huge clouds and using RDAs go with 100% VG for maximum clouds. That said, know that PG is your flavor carrier so the amount you flavor you get might be muted. Higher PG also gives harsher throat hit. Higher nic level will also affect throat hit as well.

Nice to see a new vaper doing homework and researching safety before getting into rebuilding. Wow. Two in one week! Congrats on getting off analogs and finding a new hobby. :)

Well I had a long post typed and closed it on accident >:( I'll try to sum it up.

On the first .2ohm setup, the tops of the coils were exposed, not the sides as you mentioned. I had the air holes lined up perfectly with the coils. I'm using a locally made 50/50 mix, with kosher grade, US based ingredients with a 5mg nic content. I think I want to go down to 3mg, because on my protank, I could basically chain vape to a degree. With this rda I can take 1-2 hits, and I've got a buzz. lol

I just built a dual nano dragon coil. It reads .47-.50 on the meter. Its a MUCH cooler vape than the last one. Still not blowing clouds, but its better than before. I can now take a 4 second drag, instead of a 1 second. I noticed with the nano dragon, I really have to saturate the hell out of the wick, or It will taste very burnt after 3 seconds or more.

Heres a pic of the first

20140601_102316.jpg

And the new one,

20140601_125336.jpg

20140601_125541.jpg