Flavor and Kayfun Lite Plus

Eaglewtchr

I'm having problems tasting flavors in my KFL+ on my Nemesis and VTC4. My coil is at 1.3ohms and cotton. My straight menthol 50/50 at 18 nic is awesome but, my fruit flavors are just not really there. They are very faint almost not there. If i build a lower ohm coil will that bring out the flavor? My local B&M said not to go below 1 ohm with the KFL+, will it not handle it? Thanks.

Edited by Eaglewtchr

I'm having problems tasting flavors in my KFL+ on my Nemesis and VTC4. My coil is at 1.3ohms and cotton. My straight menthol 50/50 at 18 nic is awesome but, my fruit flavors are just not really there. They are very faint almost not there. If i build a lower ohm coil will that bring out the flavor? My local B&M said not to go below 1 ohm with the KFL+, will it not handle it? Thanks.

Sub Ohm is definitely possible on the KFL, at least .6 and above, can't vouch for really low ohm builds like .3 ohms etc. Most people say the KFL+ is their best tank flavor wise. I always hear things like " When I really want to taste my juice I grab the KFL+"

I get really good flavor but I'm vaping on a regulated mod. At .6 ohms I get more favor fast, at 1.0 to 1.2 ohm is where I get the best flavor with the 50/50 juice I usually vape. How are you building it and what guage wire are you using? Are you using an ohm meter?

What kind of cotton are you using? Organic cotton balls, yarn, string/wick etc.

This is very similar to how I do my build, my favorite vapes are fruit flavored like Watermelon and Strawberry.

Have you tried playing with airflow to adjust the flavor? Now that I'm thinking about it, the wicking may have more to do with what you're seeing than the coil and ohms.

Im using 28 gauge 8 wrap on 5/64 drill bit and white cloud cotton and my ohm meter says im at 1.35 ohms. Is it more air more flavor or tighter air flow more flavor? I use rip trippers videos to start building. Only been building about a month, gettin pretty good at it. :D

Edited by Eaglewtchr

Imo less cotton means more flavor. You may be using too much cotton. Open the airflow and place your coil as low to the deck as you can.

Ah ha. Ok. I will try less cotton and more air. Im use to mouth to lung draws but my menthol with straight lung draws kill me. Maybe i will try my flavors with more air and lung draws. Guess its just time to play..

If you go with lung hits, you'll want a higher VG ratio juice and/or lower nic.

Its the menthol that kills me. About 3 seconds in and the menthol is overwhelming. And i have to stop. Havent tried it with flavors. I have a Dragon Fruit at 12 but the flavor seems weak. Guess i just need to play around with it.

Will subohming bring out more flavor or just make the vapor warmer? At 1.35 ohms its not very warm.

You're not gonna get a warm vape from a kayfun, and if what you're vaping hurts your throat now... It'll be worse at lower ohms .
So far its just the menthol that i have tried lung hits with and its like the menthol intensifies but a mouth to lung hit is fine. Almost like the menthol from a camel menthol crush. Mouth to lung hit with menthol is perfect but flavors are very weak. Im not use to straight lung hits. I just need some direction on getting flavors to stand out like my menthol does. I want to get away from the menthol and farther away from analogs. I havent touched a analog since april 26th but still sometimes want one untill i smell one burning and then i change my mind cause it stinks. Just want more of a smack your momma flavor that i can say hay, thats grape or peach or whatever. Not i think that is this flavor, i think. Hope that explains where i am and where im trying to get. Edited by Eaglewtchr

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have a link to the rippers video, I am having wicking issues.

This video has the standard micro coil build in the first half and chimney build in the second half, he vapes and compares the builds. One thing I like about Rip is he's good at explaining a coils performance and how it vapes. The juice makes things a little subjective, where he might say it's the most flavorful vape ever, but if someone builds it and has juice that doesn't have much flavor, it wont be the same, but I find his stuff is spot on as long as the juice i'm using is decent, he tends to do his builds and reviews with juice that's middle of the road so it's similar to the experience of most people.

I built his double barrel coil saturday, it hits really hard but the flavor isn't as good as a standard microcoil for me, but I have only built that one setup and improving my wicking might also change the flavor properties of the build. Overall, it's one of the biggest, most dense vapes I've had on the kayfun, I'm just not sure if the flavors quite as bold as the microcoil because of how much vapor I get in one hit. Also with sweet juices, it tends to be "filling" when I chain vape, then I burp watermelon.

This video has the standard micro coil build in the first half and chimney build in the second half, he vapes and compares the builds. One thing I like about Rip is he's good at explaining a coils performance and how it vapes. The juice makes things a little subjective, where he might say it's the most flavorful vape ever, but if someone builds it and has juice that doesn't have much flavor, it wont be the same, but I find his stuff is spot on as long as the juice i'm using is decent, he tends to do his builds and reviews with juice that's middle of the road so it's similar to the experience of most people.

I built his double barrel coil saturday, it hits really hard but the flavor isn't as good as a standard microcoil for me, but I have only built that one setup and improving my wicking might also change the flavor properties of the build. Overall, it's one of the biggest, most dense vapes I've had on the kayfun, I'm just not sure if the flavors quite as bold as the microcoil because of how much vapor I get in one hit. Also with sweet juices, it tends to be "filling" when I chain vape, then I burp watermelon.

Thats my problem too. I love RDA's and I love to get my kayfun to make clouds but as an all day smoker converting to a vaporizer I just vape way to much in the day to want so much vapor. I would rather run higher nicotine with less vapor and save my lungs the trouble. I see no point to produce RDA type clouds into my lungs constantly all day long.

I exclusively use the double barrel build on all of my kayfuns, it does not need a lot of cotton, and in my opinion it is the best flavor out of every other build I have tried with it. 2 x 10 wrap coils on a 14 guage needle usually runs at about .7 ohms which is great for me.

edit: 28 guage wire

Edited by charles vapor

I exclusively use the double barrel build on all of my kayfuns, it does not need a lot of cotton, and in my opinion it is the best flavor out of every other build I have tried with it. 2 x 10 wrap coils on a 14 guage needle usually runs at about .7 ohms which is great for me.

edit: 28 guage wire

What is that equivalent to? I normally use a 5/64 drill bit. Is it bigger or smaller?

I did a head to head comparison of an aerotank vs a Ephro Kayfun. I get much better flavor with the Aerotank, this is with Vaperites VR4 ejuice 70/30 pg/vg. The Kaylifun tastes great on the intake and is better than the aerotank (on the intake), but on the exhale the flavor is dominated by cotton. Granted this is only my 6th attempt but I used a 5/64 bit with 10 wraps of 30 gauge (got about 2 ohms same as the aerotank.) Head to head the Aerotank is just too easy for the Kaylfun to compete.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but if it takes a magicians hands to build it perfect then that's an issue in my book. Believe me I hate spending over a dollar a coil for the Aerotank but once you've tasted the vapor its hard to use anything else.

I guess I would recommend the original poster to try the Aerotank (made by Kanger.)

Honestly bud, figure out the kayfun. It's not hard. If you are tasting cotton at all you are probably using the wrong type. My buddy showed me how to build the authentic kayfun once and it has worked since. He has an aerotank and it doesn't come close. He said the aerotank is dead to him and I agree having tried both.