A good reminder how dangerous generic chargers are:

I think it is important to reiterate that cheap doesnt make something a good value. When it comes to supplies buy verified stuff and stay away from the FleaBay knockoff stuff. I cringe every time I read someone post something like "I just got 4 AW IMR 18650s for $10!" and I think, no you didn't. You got AW IMR wrapped cheapies.

When it comes to batteries, chargers, and rebuildables-meters buy good stuff, not cheap stuff.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27515446

Edited by bcartervol98

Sadly, even "good" equipment can fail, too, but not as fast, often, or violently as the cheap-o's.

This is the one thing that does bother me about my eGo chargers... both have brand-markings, both have model numbers, but neither have UL certification... as is the case with MOST things from China. This is why I only charge them when I can watch them, check them often for heat build-up, and plug them into a protected outlet using a UL certified 120V AC > 5V DC @ 1A USB adapter (not my PC's USB port). I have also considered building my own "charging cage" for them as an extra precaution.... feeding voltage to a self-contained, shielded, protected, and insulated charging "box"... so if something shorts or blows-up, the risk will be minimized.

Sadly, even "good" equipment can fail, too, but not as fast, often, or violently as the cheap-o's.

This is the one thing that does bother me about my eGo chargers... both have brand-markings, both have model numbers, but neither have UL certification... as is the case with MOST things from China. This is why I only charge them when I can watch them, check them often for heat build-up, and plug them into a protected outlet using a UL certified 120V AC > 5V DC @ 1A USB adapter (not my PC's USB port). I have also considered building my own "charging cage" for them as an extra precaution.... feeding voltage to a self-contained, shielded, protected, and insulated charging "box"... so if something shorts or blows-up, the risk will be minimized.

Excellent point. I am of the opinion based on my personal research of exploding batteries and stories similar when I started vaping that it is very very risky to charge your batteries using anything except a wall adapter. Also you should never leave them unattended like you said too. When I am in a position to need to leave them charging when I am not in the house I have a dutch oven that has a chip in the rim the perfect size to fit 4-5 charging cords. With the heavy lid and cast iron build I am certain it would suffice. Thing is I haven't used it in forever since I have so many batteries in rotation now. I think I could go a week and a half to two weeks at this point and never run out of batteries without charging them lol.

Excellent point. I am of the opinion based on my personal research of exploding batteries and stories similar when I started vaping that it is very very risky to charge your batteries using anything except a wall adapter. Also you should never leave them unattended like you said too. When I am in a position to need to leave them charging when I am not in the house I have a dutch oven that has a chip in the rim the perfect size to fit 4-5 charging cords. With the heavy lid and cast iron build I am certain it would suffice. Thing is I haven't used it in forever since I have so many batteries in rotation now. I think I could go a week and a half to two weeks at this point and never run out of batteries without charging them lol.

Absolutely not true. I have about 50 years of electronics experience starting as a kid and 43 years in the electrical industry. Am currently the sole electrical safety guy for an industrial manufacturer with several remote sites nationwide in case you want to argue.

Avoid cheap knockoff products and the odds are in your favor. Even given that there will always be a chance of a catastrophic failure in electrical/electronic components of the highest quality. That risk is all around us every day.